What the sam he** was honda thinking ?

Griz53_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Bought my 2013 CB1100 used back in Sept. Was in the garage planning on some upgrades for spring (hard saddlebags) . My CB1100 has the red tank and Im wondering why they put the side covers in SILVER ???? Cant for the life of me figure why they didnt paint them red ???
So, when I get my hard bags ready to paint the matching red I will do the side covers also !
Yes this has bothered me ever since I bought the bike, so now I have a reason to fix it !
 
Pretty direct question. It's an easy fix, as you've noted, but it's also one reason that I pulled up on purchasing a 2013, among others. It's still a beautiful bike, no question, and many, many people love this version over the subsequent DLX, blacked out STD and EX.

It is a question of design choice and taste. I have a great preference for silver engines in naked bikes - retro classics in particular. In these retro bikes where the engine is out there, why not make it a centerpiece of the aesthetic? Silver matches the earlier "bare" engines and highlights a beautifully designed mill. So, all the silver/chrome bits on the DLX are right for me. But that's MY taste. The darker hues are in vogue. Black is the new black, so to speak. So, in current bikes, a lot of the pieces of bikes are blacked out, and that's fine.
 
Honda was going with red and silver colors at that time. They did a similar combination on the NC700x.

Red side panels can be found in the aftermarket. I have them on my ‘13, purchased from a member here on the forum.
 
I never really liked the OEM CB1100 standard side panels (heck, DLX too). Seems Honda maybe cut some cost there? Dunno. But yeah, Forum members seem to find their own way to remedy the eye sore.
 
Griz53_imp said:
Bought my 2013 CB1100 used back in Sept. Was in the garage planning on some upgrades for spring (hard saddlebags) . My CB1100 has the red tank and Im wondering why they put the side covers in SILVER ???? Cant for the life of me figure why they didnt paint them red ???
So, when I get my hard bags ready to paint the matching red I will do the side covers also !
Yes this has bothered me ever since I bought the bike, so now I have a reason to fix it !
You have to remember that other colors were selling around the world at that time and all of the side panels were silver... everywhere. It just made it easier to paint them all the same color.
Personally I'm glad they were silver because I changed my bikes color and red side panels would have made that all the more pricey.
eae7faec66cdc11d8631c5cd79977ca3.jpg
 
I was thinking of wrapping mine with a carbon fiber wrap. I don't dislike the silver, like some do, but I think doing it in the same red would be too much of a good thing. No contrast.
 
Color is a very subjective thing. I initially liked the contrast of the silver panels, and when the red ones were offered for sale here, I grabbed them sort of on a whim. But now, I really like them and think they make the bike look better.

All Interceptor 650s come with black side panels regardless of tank color, and I’ve already ordered a replacement pair (to change my logo from “INT” to the home market “Interceptor”)

I’ve already thought of painting the original panels orange to match the tank, but looking at a guy on YouTube who’s done it, I think that’s too much orange.

Just personal perception.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Griz53_imp said:
Bought my 2013 CB1100 used back in Sept. Was in the garage planning on some upgrades for spring (hard saddlebags) . My CB1100 has the red tank and Im wondering why they put the side covers in SILVER ???? Cant for the life of me figure why they didnt paint them red ???
So, when I get my hard bags ready to paint the matching red I will do the side covers also !
Yes this has bothered me ever since I bought the bike, so now I have a reason to fix it !
You have to remember that other colors were selling around the world at that time and all of the side panels were silver... everywhere. It just made it easier to paint them all the same color.
Personally I'm glad they were silver because I changed my bikes color and red side panels would have made that all the more pricey.
eae7faec66cdc11d8631c5cd79977ca3.jpg
You have to remember that other colors were selling around the world at that time and all of the side panels were silver... everywhere. It just made it easier to paint them all the same color.
Personally I'm glad they were silver because I changed my bikes color and red side panels would have made that all the more pricey.
b14d1b73138076e4891b6fb8bd0f5166.jpg

Ahhhhh but your bike with BLACK and silver covers is very classy !
 
Except … it’s not black.
 
When I bought my silver 2019 rs they also had a red one with silver side panels but I chose the silver bike purely because the side panels matched. The red one just looked wrong to me.
 
I wrapped my silver side panels in carbon fiber (2013) just to be different . Could always go back to silver if I changed my mind.
 
The side panel of my bike is black like the tank, so no complaints there. It is the plastic fuel injector cover that I find near-unacceptable, especially compared to the high-quality rest of the bike. Still not sure what to do about it - I might give it a try and cover it with shiny black vinyl and see how it turns out.

55842199d311c4eaf85d55c049507e08.jpg
 
Nice cheques, Bio! I like your bike.

Is that a lumimoto seat cover? What's your review?

I agree with op. Had I opted for red over black, I would've gotten matching side covers faster than license plates.
 
bioman_imp said:
The side panel of my bike is black like the tank, so no complaints there. It is the plastic fuel injector cover that I find near-unacceptable, especially compared to the high-quality rest of the bike. Still not sure what to do about it - I might give it a try and cover it with shiny black vinyl and see how it turns out.

55842199d311c4eaf85d55c049507e08.jpg
I like that cover on your bike bio. :)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
The side panel of my bike is black like the tank, so no complaints there. It is the plastic fuel injector cover that I find near-unacceptable, especially compared to the high-quality rest of the bike. Still not sure what to do about it - I might give it a try and cover it with shiny black vinyl and see how it turns out.

55842199d311c4eaf85d55c049507e08.jpg
I like that cover on your bike bio. :)
I like that cover on your bike bio. :)
2017EX panels have a chrome strip on them.

 
Never really thought about the black injector cover. To me it just sort of blends into the engine area.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Boy, those sure are pretty.
Boy, those sure are expensive (for just some pieces of plastic)... I think I will try the vinyl option first.

031b4a35326977b0162b8f2fc1335859.jpg

ymtnpoah11_imp said:
Nice cheques, Bio! I like your bike.

Is that a lumimoto seat cover? What's your review?

I agree with op. Had I opted for red over black, I would've gotten matching side covers faster than license plates.
Yes, it is a Luimoto cover. I like it. Very well made and so far it seems to last. If anything, it may be just a little large but that was OK for me, as I installed it *over* the original seat cover, just in case I (or a potential future buyer) want to go back to the OEM cover.
 
Back
Top