What other bikes did you look at before buying your CB1100?

I wasn't considering any other bikes. I've always owned UJM type standard bikes. I realized that my '93 CB750 wasn't going to last forever, but nothing available in the U.S. market fit the bill until the CB1100 came along.

Had they been available in North America, I would have seriously considered a CB1300, XJR1300 or GSX1400.
 
When I started thinking about adding a new bike to my garage to keep my Hawk GT company I initially looked at the Triumph Bonneville. For whatever reason I found myself more drawn to the Street Triple. However, I wasn't sure that I could see myself running around on the Street Triple to be honest. Then word arrived that Honda was going to be bringing the CB1100 to North America and that was the end of contemplating anything else.

At one point later on, I ended up visiting the local Triumph dealer with a friend of mine who needed to pick up some parts for his Daytona. I was chatting with one of the sales guys while looking over the then new version of the Street Triple that had just arrived. He asked me if I was interested in the bike and I told him no, that I already had a CB1100 on order. He looked at me and smiled and made a comment about what a sweet looking bike the CB was. I was in full agreement. That Triumph dealership struck me as a real class act and I ended up ordering the Staintune for my CB through them later on.
 
It was a complex, if quick, process for me.

Started when I took the R1100 out of winter storage - early, as spring came in February to the Bitterroots.

It reacquainted me with all I liked about it; and disliked. I should mention that it was a new purchase - bought it last April, because the price was right, I was in a new area, my gear would be months getting out to me and I wanted to explore the mountains by bike. I had only had an R1200 GS before; too spendy and too rich for my blood - and too tall; but I did all right with it. Put 15,000 miles on it and sold it for a couple thousand under what I paid.

So I bought the RT. And enjoyed it; but re-learned the Big Boxer's shake and issues.

And this particular one had an aftermarket fart-can which I didn't much like; but it also had been "chipped" - a new computer chip to compensate for the reduced exhaust back-pressure. Changing it back would be too spendy.

So there was that. And then I happened to look at a K1200. The K bikes were never on my radar; and that was my loss, big-time. The three-cylinder K75 has my name ALL OVER it.

Alas, it will not be. It was discontinued in 1995.

But looking at a K100 taken in trade at a Honda dealer led me to looking at the floor-model CB1100. The K100 was a trade-in to a dealer who had no idea how to fix it or sell it - it was running when he took it in, nine years ago. Two years ago he tried to start it to demonstrate it; it of course wouldn't start. His Honda man TRASHED it trying to figure out what was wrong; and while he had a BMW guy get it going, it was never put completely together. It was 50,000 miles and inoperative and in a basket. NO SALE.

The CB1100, on the other hand, was there; for half-again as much money it had NO miles on it; a four, which promises smooth running. Retro, which attracts me. And HONDA - Japanese quality of build AND of SERVICE. That's the difference between the Asians and the Europeans.

I thought about it. While thinking about it, I read up on it - and found this board. I bought; by a miracle I found a private buyer for my BMW; and now I'm all in.
 
I had sold my V-strom 650 3 months before I bought the CB thinking I would take a hiatus from riding. I had grown bored with the little 'Zuk and figured my next bike would be something with character or generate lots of excitement. I really wanted a naked hooligan bike, but I didn't want to spend a ton, $3k tops.

First bike I tried to buy wasn't what I really wanted, but had the potential to be a cheap project. My neighbors have a 2002 883 Sportster that's been sitting a long time. The husband bought it for his wife's 30th birthday and she stopped riding after a little scare with the bike. She wanted it gone, but he thought otherwise. No dice.

Then, I thought about buying a Buell XB9S or XB12S Lightning. I rode a XB9S and loved the combination of the lumpy, but powerful H-D engine in a nimble package. I gave up on finding one that wasn't beat to Hades.

Also looked for bikes like a Bandit 1200, ZRX, and FZ1. In fact, I found my CB while looking at and test riding a used FZ1. It was over my budget for paying cash, but too good of a deal to resist. For not a lot more, I could have bought a new FZ09. I later test rode one to make sure I wasn't missing out. While that triple cylinder engine is a gem, the suspension was just all wrong. I haven't regretted not buying the FZ09 nor have I regretted buying the CB. I did miss having an appliance like bike for riding dirt roads and carrying stuff. Since buying another V-strom, I have been happy with my small stable of bikes. Can't think of anything I'd replace the CB with.
 
New VFR800 - Would have been $$$ after buying cases. It would have been familiar to my old 2006 model, but this engine is 15 years old. Come on Honda! There was a used one (~800 miles) for sale when I bought he CB1100. It was on consignment for thousands more than it was worth even if it had been new.

KLR 650 - CHEAP! I think I would have gotten bored with it. I'm a long ride away from any trails. My ride to work is 40 miles and I think the single cylinder buzz would have gotten old real quick. It turns out there were 2 of these parked next to the CB1100 on the showroom floor and I never even noticed until they had pulled my bike off the floor.

BMW R1200GS - I fell in love with these after renting one for a weekend. Then I realized $$$$!, the base price doesn't even get you off the showroom floor. You have to add a couple thousand dollar package to buy the thing, and then you can buy cases. $20,000 no way!

Triumph Boneville - Retro, but ultimately boring, underpowered. I have a long ride to work, I need some spunk.

CB1100 - Reminds me of my first bike a CB200. It was the first bike since I sold my '06 VFR that I wanted.
 
Before the CB I owned other "standards" including a Ducati 620 Monster, a BMW R1200R Roadster, a CB750 Nighthawk, a Triumph Scrambler and a Suzuki GSX1100G (great bike). I considered the lovely BMW R9T until I saw the OTD price and realized that it would have meant selling my R1200GS, and NO WAY am I doing that! :rofl: The CB is more than what I need for a functional , "cool retro", bike for 2/3 the price.
Considering my budget, I feel that my workhorse/Iron Butt days/gravel road camping/sport riding BMW R1200GS, the beautiful CB and my insane KTM525 flying machine make up the "almost perfect" stable.
 
I wasn't looking at any other bikes when I bought the CB. I already had a nice CB900F (919) 4-cylinder Honda, but had lusted for the CB when they became available here in 2013.
It wasn't as if I "needed" another 4-cylinder Honda, and I already had a Triumph T100 Bonneville.
Only two arrived at my dealer in 2014 and they weren't getting any more. I happened to be there on the day of delivery and it was love at first sight. Up to that point all I had ever seen of a CB were pictures. I had to pull the trigger on the spot or miss out again.
No regrets whatsoever.
The 900F is a bit of a hooligan bike whereas the CB is the refined and smooth bigger brother. They are both quite different in riding and performance and don't look alike at all - except that they're both blue :D.
 
This should be what other bikes did I own before the CB1100. Such as a Bonnie, ZRX, ZX12, VTX, FLSTS, FXR, FXD, TU250, Couple SOHC CB750s, Nighthawk 750 and on and on.
 
The ferret_imp said:
"More character than the CB mill. "

:rofl:

translated: It vibrates, has electrical problems, there are no dealers near me or anywhere I go, and there's a good chance it's going to break down on my next ride

j/k Rboe
Not so much a vibration as a pulse like a steam locomotive. It's welcoming, not buzzy like the CB can be at some rpm's. No electrical issues for me but some have had them (water getting into the instrument cluster and raising havoc. Dealers - I have three "close" by, one in the metro area. With the Internet they are only really needed for warranty repairs but for some areas of the country the dealer is hundreds of miles away. A deal killer for them.

I considered the triples (especially their adventure model) but the whine from the straight cut gears was a deal killer for me. Higher frequencies noises are deal killers.
 
Of course you could see by the j/ k that I was just kidding, although there is some truth in that most motorcycles that are considered to have " character" have the issues I described.

I wish a Moto Guzzi dealer was closer than 250 miles from me. I love Guzzis...much more than the other V twins that vibrate, have electrical issues, oil leaks, and are likely to break down on my next ride ....... again I keed! ( although that actually does describe my sons Ducati...but then again that's a 90 degree " L" twin har har har...sorry son)
 
I had just sold my 2008 BMW K1200 GT. I was looking for a simpler more straightforward bike. Something that would not tempt me into creating a "special purpose" bike. Over the past 20 years I have had: a 1995 Triumph Thunderbird, added bags and windshield, not a good tourer however. Went to a new yellow 1997 Ducati 900 SS/SP, one of 120 made, Borla exhaust, Dymags, Kehin flat sides, I was still slow in the corners. Two new Thruxtons, a 2005 carb version, 2013 Thruxton efi version, each had suspension upgrades, exhaust upgrades, cosmetic upgrades, both were cool to look at, but slow and boring on the road, I bought so much aftermarket stuff I ended up having my own personalized UPS driver. Then came a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie, my first real dual sport, turns out it was too heavy for the single track stuff I love, but it was a very competent street bike. Next I bought a new Suzuki DR650 nice little antiquated bike, did single track all day long but a nightmare on the Arizona freeways trying get home. In between there was 2001 Moto Guzzi Bassa, nice but quirky. 1999 Triumph Executive, typical Hinckley crappy suspension but nice motor and my first set of factory bags. A Hinckley Scrambler, way too heavy for any non paved surface and the exhaust got hotter than my Weber kettle grill. A 2002 VFR ABS, bright Red, loved it, rode it for 10 trouble free years sold it in 2012. I would have probably bought another if I hadn't found the CB1100 first. I also have a 2014 Moto Guzzi Griso, it's one of a kind right from the crate. fast smooth and loaded with character. It's the polar opposite of a UJM nothing against UJM's. I love em.
 
I fell in love with the cb1000 at first sight when I walked into my dealership last spring-what I didn't love though was the price.
so I spent the summer looking for an alterative:
narrowed it down to the Bonneville as a bike "similar" to the CB
vs. a different (modern vs. classic) take- the Kawi 650 Versys ABS -the redesigned 2015 seem to check all the boxes for a good all rounder but it wasn't a CB (nor was the Bonni).
As it turned out I came "this close" to buying the Versys and a week before they were available for sale I got a phone call from my Honda dealer w/ an offer too good to refuse.
It worked out in the end as the CB is the bike I wanted.
If I was to choose a 2nd bike -I would likely get the Versys.
 
Looks like Honda knew the competition when the CB came out... Everyone compared it to a Bonnie/Thruxton. I did the same and the Triumph just looked flat out boring being only a twin. I like a good-looking 4cyl header in front of fins. The only other bikes I considered were old GS1000s and KZ1000s. My experience with thumpers though left me not excited to deal with four carbs on something I'd put down miles on though. I looked at EVERYTHING air-cooled. Once you require EFI, the options slim. And when I decided the look and sound of a 4 cylinder was what I had to have, I only had one option. No ragrets.
 
I am currently looking at the new BMW R1200RS. Better wind protection, and I like its style too. Waiting to see it in person to make the final decision.
 
avsbezzy_imp said:
A little bit like you Rebel....
After a while I got tired of looking at every Triumph "cafe'd" with British Customs stuff...
And the Honda is a much better product for almost same money.

I have no "RAGRETS", 'know what I am Sayin'...
Not sure how many folks are going to pick up on that reference!
 
Gentlemen,

I considered the Harley Davidson Sportster 48, because I love the styling. I've owned 3 Sportsters and like the way they ride. I already have a Road King. I sold my Bonneville even though I loved it's styling because I didn't think it was much fun to ride. Considered the Grizo and still may add that one to my collection. Thought about the Speed Triple but decided it was a bit too funky. BMW 1200 was out after a test ride as I didn't like it. When I saw the '13 CB1100 I could visualize a cool cafe modded version and I love air cooled motorcycles so that was it. After well over a year of ownership the CB1100 is my favorite street bike of all time.

Chip
 
After having my Sportster 48 "totaled" in a hit-and-run, my search for a replacement was focused on a Triumph America, a Star Bolt, an H-D xr1200, and the CB1100. The CB was the only one that "spoke" to me. After a year of ownership me and CB have "bonded" pretty well. Tied with my '84 BMW K100RS as my favorite of all time.
 
Back
Top