What oil are peeps using for their oil changes?

m in sc_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
cheap here. like 8 bucks a qt.

Pardon Our Interruption

(that is not Canada :dodgy:)
summit ships to Canadidia. :D

1985CB450_imp said:
That VR1 is good oil, I run it in both my roller cam sbc hot rods
yup, I run it in my Galaxie and Falcon. good stuff indeed.
summit ships to Canadidia. :D
Sure, of course they could. Did you happen to check the shipping rate for oil crossing customs? Also add at least 13% on top of that.
 
Thread starter
A very respectable oil thread...well done guys...and thanks for the replies
Might try the Penrite Semi Synth 10w40 Cormanus $58...sounds a bit better
 
m in sc_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
cheap here. like 8 bucks a qt.

Pardon Our Interruption

(that is not Canada :dodgy:)
summit ships to Canadidia. :D

1985CB450_imp said:
That VR1 is good oil, I run it in both my roller cam sbc hot rods
yup, I run it in my Galaxie and Falcon. good stuff indeed.
summit ships to Canadidia. :D
Sure, of course they could. Did you happen to check the shipping rate for oil crossing customs? Also add at least 13% on top of that.
nope, of course not I live in South Carolina. what are the sled guys using? maybe it should be 'what are the Canadians using for oil?' thread. :huh:
Over the past 15 years or so I have observed that Canadians - at least in Ontario - are unable to get certain brands or releases of motor oils that their 'merican counterparts can routinely get by tripping into their local Walmart mega-store. (actually, it is not limited to just motor oil :dodgy:).

Sometimes it takes 15 years to finally get some things like that to finally become available. I don't what the issue is. Trade politics, local/regional "Canadian oil cartel" issues, whatever. It just is. For the most part, Canadian riders, especially of Japanese and European bikes have to pay a premium for "good oil".
 
ozigoo_imp said:
I used the Motul 5100 Ester 10w40 last time...bit pricey so wondering what other people are using...?
Not asking which is best or what type, but simply what other people are using....
I did the first 600 mile oil and filter change a few days ago using Motul 7100 10W40 fully synthetic. Unfortunately I haven't had chance to see if there's any difference yet due to the wet weather here in the UK.
What I have noticed is the oil is red and smells kinda nice.
 
Denbow_imp said:
ozigoo_imp said:
I used the Motul 5100 Ester 10w40 last time...bit pricey so wondering what other people are using...?
Not asking which is best or what type, but simply what other people are using....
I did the first 600 mile oil and filter change a few days ago using Motul 7100 10W40 fully synthetic. Unfortunately I haven't had chance to see if there's any difference yet due to the wet weather here in the UK.
What I have noticed is the oil is red and smells kinda nice.
Yeah, the Motul 5100 smells pleasant too ... kinda makes one want to pour some over some pancakes. :)
 
And here I am still pouring Amsoil 10w40 Metric into mine. I don't know for sure that the Amsoil makes a difference....i also don't know for sure that it doesn't. I just don't ever wanna give this bike up.

conversely, my commuter gets cheap synthetic becuse i'll probably sell it at 40 or 50k miles.
 
Back in my Yamaha FJR1300 days I logged onto a forum, and under TIPS TO NEWBIES they listed the regular stuff, no shaming, no personal attacks, etc, but right at the beginning, in ALL CAPS, there was this; THIS FORUM HAS NO, REPEAT NO, AS IN NONE, NADA, DOES NOT EXIST, DON'T START AN OIL THREAD, NO ONE CARES, USE WHATEVER DAMN OIL YOU LIKE BUT DO NOT POST ABOUT IT! They meant it, too. But, I always took any bike I owned back to dead dino juice. In my seat-of-the-pants analysis, the bike always ran better, smoother, quieter, better throttle response, all around better on dead dinos, except for the Kawi Nomad, which liked a synthetic blend.
 
I've always understood oil threads are tolerated on this forum because it gives Lord Popgun the opportunity to use the Secret Forum Decoder ring to change his name to Lord Popcorn and for me to use this emoji:



Could be wrong.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I've always understood oil threads are tolerated on this forum because it gives Lord Popgun the opportunity to use the Secret Forum Decoder ring to change his name to Lord Popcorn and for me to use this emoji:



Could be wrong.
He may have just made you do that and let you think it was your understanding all along.


"... These aren't the Droids you're looking for ... "
 
If there is one sure fire thing about oil in the last decade or so is the drive to less viscous oils to boost fuel efficiency. You can see plenty of 5W-30, 0W-30 and even 0W-20 oils on the shelved nowadays. You really don't want to go up to a 10W-40 unless your ambient temperatures warrant it. I was riding in 109 Deg F in that Californian heat waves little while back, that warranted a 10W-40 for sure. Me on the other hand just melted.

I have just seen the case of a Triumph owner complaining his bike has started smoking from the exhausts and he was looking for possible reasons, he was burning oil. He had admitted to using a heavier weight oil on his last service and had just changed it back on the current service to the correct lighter specification. It only started smoking with the oil change back to the new lighter weight. I am willing to believe he could have worn his valve guides with repeated poor top end lubrication. I can't be sure 100% that is what has happened, but it is the only variable. The newly changed correct lighter weight oil probably exposed the wear and got through the valve guides and into the combustion chamber. An engine designer doesn't randomly choose an oil weight and diverging from recommended weight is folly.
 
m in sc_imp said:
oil weight spec has a lot/most to do with how the motor was constructed (build tolerances, particularly in cold starts) and the environment it is run it. most oil related wear is from people cold starting and revving it right off the bat or just taking off w out a proper or any warmup. valve guides wont cause smoke, stem seals will.. or rings, which i bet was the cause. from what I mentioned above.

10/30 and 10/40 will act the same in a cold start. you would be amazed at to how little oil is really needed to provide proper, or enough, lubrication.
Yes of course. He may well have been providing improper lubrication for his entire ride at temperature.
 
Yes they did. Cracks at the weld nut resulting in loss of oil
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yes they did. Cracks at the weld nut resulting in loss of oil
I think that was K&N 204s. No nut on the Fram Ultras. I still have about 10 of those K&Ns I'm stuck with. I had one that started weeping at the nut. Thank G-d I was watching it closely due to the warning posted on this forum!
 
K&N filters were the ones with problems.
 
The K&N problems were due to people tightening up the filter with the nut are they not? K&N specifically tell you not to use it, it is to aid removal only where it doesn't matter if you do any damage. Far too many people on YouTube tightening the crap out of oil filters when hand tight is just fine.
 
Back
Top