What kind of riding is available to you?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
As I was riding yesterday i kept thinking about all the different riding conditions members of the forum must have to ride in..members in L.A., in New York city, member in Fla, Az, Tx where I imagine riding is much different than the riding I do. Most of my riding is like this shown in the video below ( if link doesn't work..just youtube "Honda CB1100 spring ride" ) 55 mph curvy back roads with very little traffic. What I call "rhythm roads" very little shifting, 4 th gear or 5 th gear, let off a little for the sharper curves, maybe click down one gear, roll on to pull yourself out of the curve accelerate and click up a gear, before repeating. More Cherahola Skyway than Dragon if you've ever been down that way...or Blue Ridge Parkway with a 10 mph higher limit and no tourists. I live out in the country and roads like this are available starting .7 mile from my garage door. Anytime I can get away, great riding is right there. The CB 1100 is made for this type of riding. I feel so blessed, and feel sorry for those that have to ride for hours to get to good roads.

Watch the vid..one of the best pure riding vids I have seen. I believe the videographer is a member here, although I can't think of his forum name.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BeuRpsMZnPc&d...euRpsMZnPc
 
I don't commute at alll--I have a car provided by work.

The vast majority (99%) of my riding is up a road very much like in the video, to a favorite restaurant in the hills. It's about 90 miles round trip from my house to the restaurant and back. We're in the mountains after about 15 miles of escape from the big city.

I too feel very blessed to have beautiful roads very close to home. I also have a great group of friends who enjoy the same ride--sometimes it's just two of us, sometimes it's fifteen.

I'm also very blessed to have an understanding wife, who allows me to own motorcycles. Some guys aren't so lucky.
 
We have a maze of small back roads in Northern Delaware, Southern PA and Maryland.... I think I posted one of my rides in a mapping software and my average speed was 35 MPH.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
We have a maze of small back roads in Northern Delaware, Southern PA and Maryland.... I think I posted one of my rides in a mapping software and my average speed was 35 MPH.
HikerToo -

Most of my rides are exploring back roads in Northern Harford, Baltimore and Cecil Counties in MD. and South and central York, Adams and Lanchaster Counties in PA. The more remote the road the better including a lot of dirt and gravel roads.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
We have a maze of small back roads in Northern Delaware, Southern PA and Maryland.... I think I posted one of my rides in a mapping software and my average speed was 35 MPH.
HikerToo -

Most of my rides are exploring back roads in Northern Harford, Baltimore and Cecil Counties in MD. and South and central York, Adams and Lanchaster Counties in PA. The more remote the road the better including a lot of dirt and gravel roads.
HikerToo -

Most of my rides are exploring back roads in Northern Harford, Baltimore and Cecil Counties in MD. and South and central York, Adams and Lanchaster Counties in PA. The more remote the road the better including a lot of dirt and gravel roads. Yep, great back roads, that is what I grew up with....although when I was younger I traveled further into New England and Virginia on mountain camping trips too. The CB1100 seems best below 60 mph for me.
 
I live in sunny San Diego, can ride 10.5 months out of 12. Jan and Feb can be cold, it is in the high 40 at night. Lately, we have rain here ... I want to take my bike out, but dont' want to get strangled in the rain.
 
My daily riding routine includes heavy traffic and some highway. I usually do back roads when I ride to Tampa through Plant City, which is a relaxed ride. There is a variety of roads close to where I live. I can do lots of curves or straight roads towards the Green Swamps.
 
Lots of small college town commuting with the occasional rides around north central florida (read: lots of very straight 65mph roads). I had to drive 1.5 hours last weekend just to find a bit of curvy road...which I almost biffed on b/c of sand in the middle of the road. I may try to post some video of it later. At least I have a 12 month riding season though.
 
I live at the Jersey Shore, which provides for nice leisurely coastal riding. But while New Jersey is the most densely populated state, there are surprisingly good backroads that you can run for miles, in lovely scenery, with little traffic. My group, NJRATS, born from the now extinct Freehold Triumph, meets up on most Sunday mornings for a 'spirited ride' in the backroads of Western Monmouth and Burlington Counties. We will also head north and east into Warren County and Eastern PA, and a nice 150 mile morning loop at a good pace is the norm. If it's chilly, we'll set off a little later in the morning to avoid frost, and we generally get 8- 9 months of riding in.

We have a loop that takes in some covered bridges in PA, and Events like the Gathering of The Nortons, AMA Races at NJMP, and The Classic Cycles Ltd. Picnic in Baptistown pepper our schedule and we make a nice day's twisty ride out of them.
 
Thread starter
VFRPaul that's who made that video. Haven't seen him post lately. Smart guy. Hope everything is ok.
 
The ferret_imp said:
VFRPaul that's who made that video. Haven't seen him post lately. Smart guy. Hope everything is ok.
alive and well, a face shield covered in bugs and ready to mount a new set of tires. how many of us have noticed that tire mileage increases with our age:rofl:
Paul.
 
I live in the lower Hudson Valley New York. About a mile from the Taconic State Parkway, take that north and you have the Catskill Mountain Range or go a bit east and go up route seven into the Berkshire Mountains. Great riding around this area. An overnight trip will put you into the Adirondack Mountains Lake Placid, Tupperlake, Saranac Lake
 
Thread starter
vfrpaul98_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
VFRPaul that's who made that video. Haven't seen him post lately. Smart guy. Hope everything is ok.
alive and well, a face shield covered in bugs and ready to mount a new set of tires. how many of us have noticed that tire mileage increases with our age:rofl:
Paul.
alive and well, a face shield covered in bugs and ready to mount a new set of tires.
Paul.
The way it should be Paul, the way it should be ! :biker:
 
I was born close to Freiburg, at the foot of the Black Forest hills (Germany), I lived there until the age of 25 - but unfortunately I had only the car driving license. I made the motor bike license years later, but now I live in Mannheim (near Heidelberg) where not so much narrow, small, single-trails are available and hills are not that numerous and curvy and steep. :( So in retrospect I regret that I did not made the motor bike driving license earlier. :D
Sometimes when I visit my parents at home, I take the bike instead of the car, pack my wife on the back seat and head south into the mountains...
 
Here in Wisconsin we have one of the shorter riding seasons. But most of the secondary roads

here are paved because of the dairy industry,so I try to ride the back roads in the southwestern part of the state. These can be really great winding roads but you have to keep your eyes out for manure ,farm tractors ,and the Amish buggy's. The winters are very hard on the road conditions also.
 
Here in the Portland metro area there is an urban growth boundary. Once you clear the boundary, you definitely know it; as the landscape is almost instantly transformed into rural countryside. I live on the east side of Portland so heading east, I can be "out of town" in just a few minutes. In about 1.5 hours I can be up on Mount Hood in the Cascade range. Or I can follow the Columbia River partially on a historic scenic highway lined with a trail of spectacular waterfalls for a quick trip out to Hood River and back, or I can combine the two, looping all the way around Mount Hood. Heading west, it takes me quite a bit longer to make my way through the city, but in about 1.5 hours I can be at the Pacific Ocean. Heading south, it takes less than an hour to be in rolling hills of the wine country. North of me is Washington state and all that it brings. If you look at any of the videos that I've posted, you'll see that my riding style and the CB1100 are very much suited for one another, much like ferret's experiences.
 
Bay Area here.
I have access to freeways and expressways with several lanes of traffic in each direction, busy arterials, some interesting residential neighborhoods that can actually be kind of fun to cruise through (the hills up in Belmont, specifically), and not too far from some truly great mountain roads, which are actually quite diverse in their plant life. For example, the side of highway 9 closer to Silicon Valley is deciduous trees, then when you get up over the hill and to the Santa Cruz county side, it's all evergreens and redwoods.

The downside is you really have to watch out for the crazies, whether they are on cars or bikes. I've had fellow riders cause minor pucker moments on me a few times now. The car drivers have usually only committed transgressions that, while they may have pissed me off, I pretty clearly saw them coming.
 
Back
Top