What is wrong with Honda's exhausts

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
0379c765efd9a876254666b39f85f1fd.jpeg


1.) Stock Honda Can
2.) Yoshimura RS3
3.) Arrow

My question! All 3 of these exhausts are CARB and 9e5 compliant... So why the heck does Honda launch this bike with such a Bulky eye sore of an exhaust? They can easily make a smaller CARB compliant can that you can modify.. that isn't such an eye sore. Seems they force the owners to eventually buy a slipon.

It's initially a 10k bike I think they can provide the bike with a much better exhaust out of the crate. And the "environmental standards" is BS because as I mentioned above there are plenty of CARB and other emission compliant exhausts half the weight of the original. This is my second Honda. My previous bike was the same way the stock exhaust was bulky and ugly.
 
For starters I find the stock can attractive; so that metric is very subjective. OEM's have to meet strict warranty limits on the emissions bit of a motor. To ensure their bits survive long enough to not be a burden on the company down the road they need to be very robust. Aftermarket bits don't need to do that.

Both on the Griso (which does have a can that pushes the limits of what I'll tolerate visually) and the CB (and the 650L) have mufflers I don't feel compelled to replace. I don't really understand this extreme dislike for factory mufflers (that said, there are some, especially on the newer transformer styles bikes that seem to have taken a rather beating with an ugly stick - but by an large I feel that way about the whole bike :D ) but hey, we have choices. Like in poker, I'll stay.
 
I guess this is more really a matter of personal preference. While I like the stock muffler, I know many riders who prefer a more streamline look then what's on our stock CB's. I must say I don't particularly care for some of the mufflers that come with many of the new street bikes from Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, KTM, etc. To me, some appear to have a "plastic" look to them and are shaped unconventionally. To each is own. The good news is the aftermarket business allows anyone to personalize to ones taste.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
vote for stock DLX exhaust....
 
Nothing wrong with the exhausts on either of my CB as far as I am concerned, and pretty sure none of the aftermarket cans carry the epa approval stamped into them and do NOT pass epa restrictions. Most are marketed for "racing only" by the mfgs knowing they will still be used on the street illegally.
 
Except for showing the marks of a life well lived, there's nothing at all wrong with my stock muffler.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Except for showing the marks of a life well lived, there's nothing at all wrong with my stock muffler.
I like the looks of my stock exhaust on my dlx.
 
I believe the OEM exhausts have to meet more stringent requirements based on units anticipated to be sold.

With the CB1100 they've hardly sold any, so maybe they could've gotten away with a straight pipe.
 
And in California as of Jan 1 2013 it is illegal to modify the exhaust on any motorcycle manufactured on or after that date, CARB compliant or not.
 
I like the looks of the stock exhaust, but not the sound; it's too quiet for my taste, but I modified it and I'm quite happy with it. However, if I was planning on a replacement it would be the Arrow because it maintains the vintage look.
 
Quiet is great too me. Maybe some day a slip on ... California here like Randy said... but if you get a fixit ticket and have a slip on . Just do the swap and then back again... I still need to break bread on some shocks. The ride is more important than the sound ... as my last bike was a very modified FXR. Harley. And had. Thunder header. Loud.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
And in California as of Jan 1 2013 it is illegal to modify the exhaust on any motorcycle manufactured on or after that date, CARB compliant or not.
Not enforced at all.
Looks like the 2017 did a better job on slimming the can down. I stand by what I said the stock can it is way too heavy, Quiet and Large.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
And in California as of Jan 1 2013 it is illegal to modify the exhaust on any motorcycle manufactured on or after that date, CARB compliant or not.
Not enforced at all.
Looks like the 2017 did a better job on slimming the can down. I stand by what I said the stock can it is way too heavy, Quiet and Large.
That's too bad. We have the same laws in this state, and they're ignored too. Law enforcement probably has better things to do with its time, so the scofflaws are able to persist unimpeded. I see it with texting drivers all the time.
 
Thread starter
Which is weird because I read the law was 2013 models and up need labeled CARB compliment exhaust systems. Ehhh there are bigger fish to fry. I can't count the number of honda civics with "racing" exhaust in my town spewing out emissions. They just swap the exhaust back when they smog


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the deluxe exhaust the same as the standard? Looks slimmer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I don't like the "tapered" part of the cone exhaust or how quiet it is....but I fixed both ;-)

Now I'm quite happy. I just wish the header pipes were chrome like the dlx.

 
Back
Top