"What ever happened to... ?"

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I know that people come and go all the time on forums of any type. I don't get too worked up by this as I myself have been very active on some forums only to halt my participation for a variety of reasons. Sometimes this is due to a lack of interest and sometimes it is due to moving on to to other forums, and sometimes well who knows. But on a forum populated by motorcyclists, I do sometimes grow a bit more curious, wondering if someone who is no longer active posting here has perhaps lost interest (in this forum, in the CB1100, or possibly in motorcycles all together) or sadly perhaps something more unfortunate.

I started thinking about this again last night when I was searching for some older content and noticed a number of personalities that were once quite active here but no longer are. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who has such thoughts. Now if this were a really large forum with out so much of a "family feel" to it, such a thread might be pointless, but on a forum this size, who knows? The odds of a reply are probably still slim, but you never know.

Now anyone can go look at another user's profile to see when they were last active, but I was thinking about trying something a bit less impersonal. So I'll kick things off. (By the way, I could easily name many more personalities, but figured that I'd let others jump in.) Maybe some of these folks will respond, or perhaps someone here knows them personally and can provide and update of whether or not they are: Still riding? Moved on to another bike? Doing alright?

So what ever happened to: HikerToo?

He was pretty active here for quite a while. I'm hoping that all is well with you HikerToo. If you see this post, maybe you can let us know how things are going.
 
Lol Hiker Too has only been missing in action about 10 days ( he was last here Dec 30, 2017)

But I know what you mean. I think about members who seem to disappear quite often like Ears on Wheels. HE had a CB, then bought Geezers CB so he had 2, then bought a Suzuki TU250 and disappeared.

Mentallyguitarded

Scoobynut

Cip

Chapomis

To name a few
 
Thread starter
Yeah, I know it hasn't necessarily been all that long since a number of guys last checked in on the forum, but it has been a while since we've heard from them. So this is just kind of my way of asking "What's Up Fellas?", lol.
 
The original value of this forum for me was the much needed who-what-when-where of owning and operating a motor. It had been 40 years since I last owned one. I needed so much info and, reliable information at that. I was trying to avoid damage to my machine and to myself as well. Coming here felt safe and reliable. The web is so full of half truths and information influenced by someone trying to make a buck.

So basically once I filled that need I backed off my participation.

Maybe this forum needs a new "business" model.
 
I don't think this forum needs a new business model . But you do have a valid point , some are here to mine information, others for the comardaie, me I am here for both. My query is where is Memphis Mike ? He's in my neck of the woods .
 
The web is so full of half truths and information influenced by someone trying to make a buck.

"Someone trying to make a buck"? Really? I think this forum is the absolute best of any forum I have every seen, made up of a bunch of great, intelligent, and friendly people. And it's run by and moderated by great people too.
 
Other someones, not this bunch.
Personally have wondered about Chip Beck who was quite active with his nice "Chip Beck spec" machine, but then he popped up a month or so ago. He did speculate, as I recall, that people tend to be more active when they are trying to get their machines "right". Then I guess he got his finished and has been rare since. Unfortunate because I enjoyed seeing the world from his perspective.
We could use a winter project narrative like PowerDubs "Dremeled My Sidecovers" (that line woke me up) to keep us going until spring, when we will see a resurgence of participation no doubt.
Even the lads from down under might be encountering some rough weather, with flyng foxes falling from the sky, boiled in flight.
Hope to get out myself this weekend for a photo for the Monthly Challenge.

Ben
 
Frulk_imp said:
ActiveDirt... how’s that Africa Twin working out for you?

Mine is the DCT version. I bought the DCT version thinking that If I don't experiment around now with different bikes ... Well father time does march on. Basically the bike is over-the-top, a very cool machine. Even the exhaust sound right. The DCT is great for dirt/gravel/mud etc.. especially when standing on the pegs. The more you slip and slide the more the "auto-transmission" makes life easier.

On pavement the DCT is so-so. I ride two bikes one with DCT and one without. So I have to go through this adjust period when I get back on the Africa Twin. If I don't adjust then stupid little things tend to happen.

All and all it is a really great bike. Me and the wife double up and it does the touring stuff fairly well.

In a money doesn't matter world I would have two Africa Twins, one with a standard transmission and the other with DCT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good post, Guth. I had a similar question about metallyguitarded sometime last year and sent him a PM or an email (I can't remember). I never got an answer, so I hope he's OK.

I saw Chapomis pop up the other day, so I suspect he's lurking abut the place.

MTC, Pterodactyl, has been making a strenuous and successful effort to cut down on his screen time. One of the ways he has done it is by not coming here.

Whatever happened to Fritwilliger?
 
Thread starter
activedirt_imp said:
The original value of this forum for me was the much needed who-what-when-where of owning and operating a motor. It had been 40 years since I last owned one. I needed so much info and, reliable information at that. I was trying to avoid damage to my machine and to myself as well. Coming here felt safe and reliable. The web is so full of half truths and information influenced by someone trying to make a buck.

So basically once I filled that need I backed off my participation.

Maybe this forum needs a new "business" model.
lol, I know where you're coming from. But as the old saying goes; "if it ain't broke..."

I'm definitely not begging for folks to participate here, and I totally understand the need to take a break from screen time — I've been there myself, many times. The irony of my starting a forum is that I do feel that at times participation in a forum isn't always a purely positive thing. It's up to each of us as individuals to determine what the proper balance is in life. That answer is different for everyone.

I'm coming at this more from the perspective that well, this is a motorcycle forum and I'm generally interested in things that happen to other motorcyclists that I meet (Be it in-person or online.) If someone gets bored with their CB and ends up trading it in on another bike I tend to find it interesting to learn what drew them the other bike. If someone was forced to give up riding for some reason, well I'm sad to learn of such things but would rather learn of that than some of the other possible outcomes. And so on.

This is really nothing more than me (and anyone else that might care to participate) saying "Hey, just hoping all is well." :cool:
 
My number of posts on this forum is very low in comparison to others. Nonetheless I visit this forum almost daily. I would like to give my thanks for all the info available be that mechanical or pictures from all around the world.
I find info on this forum very honest and reliable so i cant imagine the need or form of a new business model.
I hope many users mentioned above are just in their lurking phase as I oftem am.
 
Thanks for the update on Pterry, Cormanus. He has the ability to demonstrate his expertise in the province of the motorcycle in manner that makes his points clear and frank, but without condescension.

Fitzwilliger! Yes, whatever happened to him? Also, any of the other participants in the Chicago Lake Shore Drive ride from a few years ago.
 
Each time I swing a leg over my CB and go riding, I'm grateful for the wealth of information I found here in helping me make the choice for this Honda. The forum is part of my daily read and I post or respond when I feel I have something worthy to contribute. Folks will come an go and revisit. Even for those of us that have time ( retired from working) will take a break from our screen time. Thanks to Guth for setting up this forum! Also, thanks to our moderators for their dedication in keeping this a cool place to land.
 
And what happened to Henrik? And RandyB?
 
Back
Top