What does the hive mind think of the Yoshimura RS3?

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just an opinion poll. i see the CB11 pictured with it fitted quite a lot, but i'm not sure if it's actually a good choice. It's one of the more base-heavy exhausts i've heard on the internet, but I personally am having a hard time stomaching the way it looks. What's everybody else's thoughts?

this guy:
c89df01fc990ba71cdd98310c8d155ff.jpg
 
Personally I’m not a fan of the way it looks. I like the way Staintune and the Yoshimura racing exhaust look but they aren’t cheap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Not a fan either. prefer the looks of stock, then the Staintune, then the Arrow.
 
I like that Staintune better. I like my full Yoshi system. I'm sure the can works great, but it looks a little more like an add on then some of the others.
 
Better than the Yosh, but not as nice a s the Staintune or Arrow. Too blunt for me at the back end.

But I'm pretty narrow in my views so don't go by my opinion lol.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Better than the Yosh, but not as nice a s the Staintune or Arrow. Too blunt for me at the back end.

But I'm pretty narrow in my views so don't go by my opinion lol.
How about sound/ tone? Ever hear either of these in person? I can't trust YouTube, but I have a hard time telling the difference in sound between these two and the staintune.
 
I bought one and put it on, and kept it, but I won't say I love it. I like it, and the style does not bother me. Sometimes i think it looks cool, other times i want more traditional looks.

There is a little more bass at mid-rpms and more volume at high rpms... by like 3 decibels. Not much louder than stock, and still gets totally overwhelmed by wind and road noise at high speed. The db killer/baffle is not removable on the current design (it was previously). This means you are stuck with the default 'quiet' option. Unless you wanna start drilling into the thing.

That all being said, when you rev it out it does sound better to me than stock. It burbles nicely when accelerating and on aggressive engine braking it pops just a little and sounds cool without being obnoxious. I like it.

...I may chop 6 inches off (enough to rid me of the logo) and pull out the baffle though.
 
Tell you the truth I can't remember. I have been to all 3 rallys and no doubt some after market pipes have been there. I have ridden quite a bit with Empty Sea who has a Yosh complete system, and Empty Seas Yosh is not obnoxious to me, but it is louder than I'd care to live with were it on my own bike. I will and have followed him, but I refuse to ride behind Harleys with loud pipes. In the past (35 - 45years ago) I had a Honda CB750 with a Kerker 4 into 1 and a Suzuki GS1100E with a Vance and Hine's 4 into 1. I got more than my fill of droning headers during those 10 years. What sounded great in my mid 20s to mid thirties doesn't sound so great to me anymore. I could probably live with the sound of a Staintune because it is not much louder than stock. But that's about it. Maybe my tinnitis damaged ears are just too sensitive anymore.

I don't fault others for wanting to hear their exhausts, I just don't care to hear mine anymore.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Tell you the truth I can't remember. I have been to all 3 rallys and no doubt some after market pipes have been there. I have ridden quite a bit with Empty Sea who has a Yosh complete system, and Empty Seas Yosh is not obnoxious to me, but it is louder than I'd care to live with were it on my own bike. I will and have followed him, but I refuse to ride behind Harleys with loud pipes. In the past (35 - 45years ago) I had a Honda CB750 with a Kerker 4 into 1 and a Suzuki GS1100E with a Vance and Hine's 4 into 1. I got more than my fill of droning headers during those 10 years. What sounded great in my mid 20s to mid thirties doesn't sound so great to me anymore. I could probably live with the sound of a Staintune because it is not much louder than stock. But that's about it. Maybe my tinnitis damaged ears are just too sensitive anymore.

I don't fault others for wanting to hear their exhausts, I just don't care to hear mine anymore.
I think anybody can understand that. Let's talk about one you do like:

Tell me what makes the Arrow one of your top choices.
 
Simply shape. Looks close to stock and the end looks finished instead of chopped. i've known guys with Triumph Bonnevilles with Arrow pipes ( I believe they are the factory after market pipes for Triumph limited) and they didn't sound too bad to me.

I knew another guy with a set of D&D's on his Bonneville and I thought they were obnoxiously loud.

But hey, I'm an old guy. Don't go by what I say, buy what makes you happy. You ask for opinions and I give mine, that's all. I like talking motorcycles, and my wife is good for about 2 minutes when it comes to talking motorcycles. She can go on for hours about remodeling a home though which I have no interest in at all.
 
Thread starter
Forgive me, I sell custom products for a living. part of what I do is getting people to talk about things they like and picking out the nuggets of truth that come out of their passion. I'm getting you to talk about things that you prefer in order to extract and use the real-world applicable knowledge hidden in there.

my purpose is to figure out if there's any reason i should buy anything other than a Staintune, all other things being equal. i'm reaching a consensus.
 
I looked at one of the Yoshi's when I was searching for a little more volume. I just can't stomach the decal/plate whatever it is with the Japanese characters on it. If you could get a plain one I would've had one before I went another route.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I looked at one of the Yoshi's when I was searching for a little more volume. I just can't stomach the decal/plate whatever it is with the Japanese characters on it. If you could get a plain one I would've had one before I went another route.
Total derail here: That decal is some strange branding. Those characters are katakana--the Japanese phonetic alphabet used for the pronunciation of foreign words. Those four characters are YO SHI MU RA. Which is the very Japanese name of the company. Why use the Japanese alphabet for non-Japanese words to spell out a Japanese word? Strange branding, indeed. For the record, I don't like that logo, either. Back to your regularly scheduled program. ;)
 
In my opinion the RS3 slip on is unsightly. Don’t know how it sounds but I have the full system and that sounds pretty civilized. Louder than stock but hardly what I’d consider loud. It’s a pretty smooth sound and overrun burble is pretty subtle. I think the arrow slip looks most like stock and actually sounds a bit deeper than even my full yoshi system when the DB killers are out. My favorite sounds are from the 4-4 systems or the Over racing slip ons because they sound the most bassy and deep.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
COCB1100_imp said:
In my opinion the RS3 slip on is unsightly. Don’t know how it sounds but I have the full system and that sounds pretty civilized. Louder than stock but hardly what I’d consider loud. It’s a pretty smooth sound and overrun burble is pretty subtle. I think the arrow slip looks most like stock and actually sounds a bit deeper than even my full yoshi system when the DB killers are out. My favorite sounds are from the 4-4 systems or the Over racing slip ons because they sound the most bassy and deep.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh, man. me too. the '14 std. cant' switch to 4-4 exhausts without a whole lot of extra work though. my all-time favorite exhaust sound i've ever heard is a CBX1000 with 6-6 exhaust.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I looked at one of the Yoshi's when I was searching for a little more volume. I just can't stomach the decal/plate whatever it is with the Japanese characters on it. If you could get a plain one I would've had one before I went another route.

I can’t stand the conspicuous branding and garish logo either.... but at least on the full system and not slip-on, it’s an easy fix. The “metal” logo plate is easily removed with no residue or any marking left behind.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I looked at one at work and the logo plate is riveted on.
 
Back
Top