What do YOU think??

CBAnonymous_imp said:
Do you "drive" a motorcycle, or "ride" a motorcycle? I say you "ride" a motorcycle, and you "drive" a car!
Do you "drive" a horse, or "ride" a horse. I guess one you're on, and the other, you're in.
 
" Der Reitwagen" , a translation might be "Ride Car", was one, or the
first so called motorcycle. Therefore "to ride" may fit.

Motorbikes have some HorsePower. Another reason for "to ride".

But nevertheless, as long as you move your motorcycle, I'll
not worry about the right word for this process.

Wisedrum
 
I think the horse comparison is useful here, but not entirely for the reason stated. You "drive" a horse when you are controlling it from a carriage or coach or other conveyance to which it is harnessed. You "ride" a horse when you sit atop it. However, in rare circumstances, such as when the driver of the stagecoach is shot and the Lone Ranger needs to bring the runaway rig safely to a stop in order to save the pretty women riding inside, a person may manage to get atop the horse that is pulling the coach. I would argue that since the horse is still harnessed to the coach, the person is "driving" the rig. So, in merciful conclusion, I contend that you ride a motorcycle unless you are pulling a trailer in which case you are driving it.
 
Gentlemen,

IF.....you are controlling a vehicle or an animal that you are sitting on you ride. If you sit in a vehicle you control you drive. If you sit in a vehicle someone else is controlling you ride. If you sit on the back of a motorcycle someone else is controlling, you don't ride, you are a passenger. What could be easier??? Teaching English to foreigners must be hair pulling difficult.

Chip
 
Heck Chip, teaching English to Americans is a hair pulling event. Or at least learning it is!
 
Technically, neither...to me, riding implies that you are an out of control passenger enjoying the view or ride. Driving refers to cars. In most of the non-English speaking world and in road racing, you PILOT the machine.
 
i like the analogy that you ride ON a horse or bike and when you sit IN a car/truck/boat (at the controls), you drive it. But I also like the comment that a passenger, sitting IN the car, is riding. Clearly he/she isn't driving....even though they're INside the vehicle. As for piloting a car or motorcycle? I guess that would be technically correct, but I tend to think of 'Pilots' as flying a plane or Piloting a ship. English IS a tough one...no doubt!
 
Let me know, when you're ready for decision, so I can make a note to my personal English - German dictionary. :P
 
Thread starter
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I think it doesn't matter.

I know the term "drive" is more common in Britain; but it's just semantics - like, "windscreen" versus "windshield."
I think you might be right!!
 
I drive my car. My dog goes for a ride. I ride my motorcycle. My wife and I go for a drive in the car. My friends and I go for a ride on our motorcycles.
 
Another oddity around this is that I have often heard "drive" used in reference to airplanes. For me, it is "fly" or "pilot" but never "drive" an aircraft.
 
Well, we're called "riders", not "drivers", so based on that I go with "ride".

When someone uses the term "drive" for a motorcycle, at least around here, I know they are not a biker.
 
Back
Top