What do you do when you get a brand new bike?

Haggard Rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The CB1100RS I'm getting will be my very first brand spankers new bike!!

Apart from sitting staring at it and grinning like a loon, is there anything I need to do other than making sure it left the Dealer's properly prepared/PDI'd, like chain tension, fluid levels and the like or should I be looking at the explicit checking of 'certain things'?

Do I need to do any special protection of bolt heads, shiny metal bits etc?

I've had sufficient new cars to get extremely blasé about them, basically get in/drive off, but for bikes this will be a whole new experience.

Advice and guidance from the assembled Hive will be most welcome.
 
You should totally disassemble the bike and then put it back together ensuring each fastener is torqued properly. Ok, don’t do that :D

Its a Honda. Ride it. It would be good to check the engine oil level, chain tension and tire air pressure. These bikes like the air pressure to be correct.

I’ll let others talk about protection of metal bits.

And read the owners manual ;)
 
A bit of 3M brand paint protection film might assist in keeping it shiny and mar-free.
Enjoy your new bike, a good purchase.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You should totally disassemble the bike and then put it back together ensuring each fastener is torqued properly. Ok, don’t do that :D

Its a Honda. Ride it. It would be good to check the engine oil level, chain tension and tire air pressure. These bikes like the air pressure to be correct.

I’ll let others talk about protection of metal bits.

And read the owners manual ;)

that is always a real veryyyy good idea............

----------------

the headers (4 frontpipes/exhaust) are my only one big proud a this bike....i clean it very often because if are the insects fine baked need time to remove them absolutely cleanly again...:cool:...(you mean it is clean but there is still a yellow sheen)

and you know all this chrome on that bike does looks only nice if it's clean....:P..:hello: .. well ok my EX has much more chrome....:angel:

round every 1000km give some grease on the chain (extra bike chain lube).......and always after a fine rain-ride.....and if you have driven dusty roads first clean the chain before you lube it again

and dont forgett...its a air (oil) cooled engine.......give her always time to get warm until you give revs.....and in a hot summer day a longer stop and go traffic ...hmmmm..its a other theme


...........................................................

and how to drive in the first 1000km a new engine you know that ?

.
 
I read about many UK folk griping about the regional dampness that puts a strain on the metal bits finish and structural parts. The suggestions vary widely.

Maybe go through a winter and determine what actually affects you. With any luck, maybe nothing.

And congratulations!
 
Go to your local Pub and show your bike to your drinking buddies .... , Oh no you can not do this now as the Pubs are closed , just take it for a ride and enjoy this great bike.
 
check oil level and tire pressure at the dealership before you leave

Top it off with gas on the way home..and oh yea, take the long way home
 
Advice and guidance from the assembled Hive will be most welcome.
[/QUOTE]
The first thing you need to do before you ride is install RLETs.
 
Yes! RLETs install he must or Padawan remain he will :)
 
I always remove the 2 stickers from the top of the tank immediately after getting a new bike. Warm them up with a hair dryer and they peel off. Don't use a heat gun--it is not necessary to get them hot, or to risk damaging paint.
 
I tend to get a bike in the dead of winter. So, the first plan is typically determine how and when to ride it home. Forget getting it delivered. I want to know immediately if something is wrong, usually at the expense of road salting the bike to heck - but that is Canadian winter riding trade-off.




I don't want to be on my death bed wishing I shoulda spent more time riding and missing taking advantage of some winter opportunities. That would be a drag as your eyes pace the ceiling above your head.
 
tod.branko_imp said:
First thing you do with a brand new bike is - drop it. After that you can relax

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Is that how you lost the 6th speed? In USA the '14 CB1100 STD is a 6 speed-at least mine is.
 
Back
Top