What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Gone,

Is it possible the screws were dropped during maintenance before you got the bike? I found a couple like that on the ST while working on it.
 
Lord Popgun said:
Gone,

Is it possible the screws were dropped during maintenance before you got the bike?  I found a couple like that on the ST while working on it.

It's very possible. I'm not stressing over it. The bike is still in once piece after a few hundred miles of riding today since putting it back together.  :)


Thanks, Pdedse, for keeping us updated on your trip, showing us all of the beautiful scenery you're taking in, and in my case at least, making me increasingly jealous and in need of a road trip! (I'll let you stick with the off-road trip).
 
[quote="Lunchbag" pid='273553' dateline='1774360771']
Love that the great cornholio adorns your garage wall  :D
[/QUOTE]

Clearly a man of impeccable taste!
 
peterbaron said:
Looking at these beautiful pics, I think pdedse is a wild moto ranger   :cool:

If Gone can be a moto blood ranger, then yes, I want to be a wild moto ranger!  Truth be told, I'm not a good dirt / off-road rider; I just take my time and if something's too challenging for my aging body, then it is.  But I do love being out there pushing things a little.  It's always shocking what the DR650, the KLX300 and my Honda CR190 I have in Costa Rica can all do on varied surfaces and terrains.  I like going up...going down steep parts when things start sliding around makes me uneasy.  

A long time riding buddy that I've known for 33 years has a 30 year old son who lives in St. George Utah. He actually IS a "wild moto ranger".  He's a law enforcement officer with the state park system.  On certain days he travels about on a Kawasaki 450, other days he captains a boat, sometimes it's on ATVs, also mountain bike and just hiking.  Quite the outdoor job, which requires him to deal with those visiting the park, help those in need, deal with crime scenes, enforce park rules and regulations.  He grew up racing motocross.  You just never know how learning to ride a motorcycle can change your life.
 
Gone in 60 said:
I saddled up Superbird and her now copious luggage capacity and headed to Long Beach BMW. Not the closest dealer, but the closest one open on a Monday. Walking in, I was immediately tempted by this:

I am surprised they have that in stock, they are in short supply and sold out round these parts, I believe there is a long waiting lis. Inspired by the 70's R90S, it is a very good looking bike, very dear mind  :)
 
rdprdp01 said:
Lunchbag said:
Love that the great cornholio adorns your garage wall  :D

Clearly a man of impeccable taste!

Thank you! That's my garage Art Wall. It features two vintage Beavis and Butthead posters, two "paint and sip" paintings that Mrs. G and I did on Valentine's Day a few years ago, a charcoal drawing of Steve McQueen that my best friend did years ago, and the poster that everyone signed at our wedding 18 years ago.


Tev62 said:
Gone in 60 said:
I saddled up Superbird and her now copious luggage capacity and headed to Long Beach BMW. Not the closest dealer, but the closest one open on a Monday. Walking in, I was immediately tempted by this:

I am surprised they have that in stock, they are in short supply and sold out round these parts, I believe there is a long waiting lis. Inspired by the 70's R90S, it is a very good looking bike, very dear mind  :)

I've heard about the R12, but had not seen one in person. It's incredibly beautiful. But, I was careful not to stare too long. Last time I did that at this particular dealership, I left with a new bike and a huge hole in our bank account. 

I do have a $25 gift card to this dealership, and will be happy to return on Saturday with Mrs. G (we're headed in that direction for a birthday party). I plan to buy a t-shirt with the gift card. Maybe show her the R12. See where it goes from there..... it is a limited edition and will only increase in value, right?
 
I won’t argue if she wants to make it a gift, but I think the more realistic gift might be the difference between what’s on my gift card and the rest of a new t-shirt.
 
Well, bye bye Berta. I put nearly 2000 miles on her in just a few weeks. She's a '16 1200, and the boss wanted me to upgrade to a '21 1250 at some point. Berta had been developing a slipping clutch, and I was hoping that since we didn't really have a service history on her, that maybe she got the wrong oil at some point. Cop bikes live hard lives, but at 22k miles, I was surprised to experience some slipping on acceleration. A tech at the local BMW dealer said it was "par for the course" for some of the BMW cop bikes they work on. A change to proper moto oil didn't help, so she needed to be pulled from service to get a new clutch - not something I wanted to tackle in my garage. 

On Friday, I coordinated to meet up with a coworker who just joined the team. Like me, he's loving the job so far. We both still feel like kids who ran away to join the circus. He's been riding a '21 which I was going to adopt. We met up at one of our common drop-off points where we had coinciding deliveries just a few minutes apart. We had a passerby take our picture together. 

[attachment=1199]

We caravanned to headquarters, he headed home on his bike, I swapped my gear over to the '21, including the bell that Mrs. G had given me a few days earlier, and made the long ride home - daunting on the Hollywood Freeway which is jammed 24/7, but on a late Friday afternoon is a test for anyone's lane splitting skills, especially on a bike you've never ridden. 

Along the way I noticed a shimmy in the front wheel - not consistent, but some kind of weird pulsation I had never encountered on a bike. The tire was round and had plenty of tread, and I chalked it up to a bad balance or maybe a wheel bearing going out. Saturday morning, I gave the bike a good washing and got to know her a bit, and repositioned the shift lever, rear brake lever and clutch lever to suit my hands and feet a bit better.

[attachment=1200]

The '21 has a full-width digital screen with a dizzying array of information, menus, and overly-German-level complications to reach simple things like resetting the trip meter. But reading the manual for a while, turns out that there are "favorite buttons" along the left side of the fairing that can be programmed to perform any task. Very handy for someone like me who has to reset the trip odometer on every ride and record the mileage from pickup to drop-off as part of our chain of custody. So, now I just push a big button on the fairing and reset the trip meter. Cool!

She's got some bumps and bruises like any used cop bike, but she is wearing the brand new British neon and Scotchlite reflective yellow livery decals our company is using. The cruise control button was missing, but I jimmied it to stay on with a zip tie strategically wedged into a specific spot. I pulled the front wheel and took it to the local Cycle Gear, who initially said they'd throw it on the balancer for free to get it corrected for me. But the tech came back and said that the wheel had balance beads inside - he spun it and I could hear the swishing noise inside. Hmm... I've never encountered balance beads, and if this was causing the weird vibrating and shimmy sensation, I wasn't impressed. The tech dumped out the beads, re-seated the tire, and balanced it with normal weights. 

I reinstalled the front wheel and went for a test ride. She's smooth as silk now, so I marked her ready for action. That is, until I noticed a dribble of oil coming from the filler cap. Which, of course requires a BMW-specific tool to open. That tool is usually attached to a bracket under the seat, which, of course on this bike was missing. No problem, just typed "BMW Oil Cap Wrench" into Thingverse and whipped one up on the 3D printer. Turns out it's useful for more than just printing Storm Trooper shift knobs. Turns out the O-ring under the cap was not seated correctly from whomever last changed the oil. 

So, now she's all cleaned up and should be ready for action. Just need to come up with a name for her. 

[attachment=1201]
 

Attachments

  • 762f8ced-396f-4ac1-b4e6-8b4f27315ed7.webp
    762f8ced-396f-4ac1-b4e6-8b4f27315ed7.webp
    96.4 KB · Views: 99
  • f0950afd-7a57-4e24-b48a-327c32f18232.webp
    f0950afd-7a57-4e24-b48a-327c32f18232.webp
    74.5 KB · Views: 99
  • fe24103d-a946-4ae8-a523-d09629ef19a3.webp
    fe24103d-a946-4ae8-a523-d09629ef19a3.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 98
New bike and a new crew member. Life is good. Never let that bell drift away! David
 
New bike in the garage!
Picked the lady up this really clean 2006 VStar 1100 to upgrade her off my old Magna that I am trying to sell. Drove it home Saturday and she took it for the first ride on Sunday. Fits both of us really well and she really likes it so far!
 

Attachments

  • star 1.webp
    star 1.webp
    225.6 KB · Views: 77
  • star 2.webp
    star 2.webp
    180.2 KB · Views: 77
  • star 3.webp
    star 3.webp
    228.8 KB · Views: 77
Incredibly clean for its age. The paint is in perfect shape. The pictures I have make it look blacker but its a dark maroon color in the sunlight.
Never owned a cruiser vtwin before, but I like it. The low seat height is nice for her and I like it as well. Its not fast by no means, but makes good noise!
After her first ride I was wondering what her thought was going to be...
Took her helmet off and had a massive smile on, so I knew it went well :)
 
Magna, just curious, with a bike that clean, was it super low mileage? Any carb issues, assuming it is carbureted.
 
Not super low miles. 21,000 on the clock. It was 40 deg F when we bought it and it started right up no problem and he had record that the carbs were recently rebuilt by a good shop.
The bike definitely has been taken care of and garaged for its life.
 
Back
Top