What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

pdedse said:
Gone in 60 said:
... Couple of people I owe some visits to...

Ah-hemmm.  Good luck with first day on the job!!! :biker:

Just hope that, when he does visit, it's not on that yellow bike. The circumstances are not likely to be as good as if he turns up on one of his own.
 
pdedse said:
Gone in 60 said:
... Couple of people I owe some visits to...

Ah-hemmm.  Good luck with first day on the job!!! :biker:

Thank you sir! It's very procedural, which is good for me. Since I had the morning free, I had the dispatcher set up some test runs, forming a group of medical clinics in the area, so I could practice with the delivery app, the navigation system, the cameras, and to get used to living with the RTP. Fiddled with the bike a bit, lowered the seat and adjusted the lever settings. 

The only glitch so far is that after wearing the Sena Impulse helmet for more than about 30 minutes, it's just tight enough to start giving me a headache. Reported it to the boss, who has ordered me the next size up. I'll use one of my own helmet till it arrives.

I have two deliveries set for tomorrow's first day. It will be very weird to get up and not report to a desk somewhere at 8:00 am.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6953.webp
    IMG_6953.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 88
Rolled out on my 2016 RTP for my first day as a Motorcycle Medical Courier. Lots to learn about the job, and the bike. Only made one small mistake on my first pickup, but caught it before it mattered.

I think I finally figured out the "Wonder Wheel" on the left grip on the BMW, which controls some of the functions like trip meter, seat and grip warmers, etc. The boss said not to get too used to the bike, as I'm going to be swapping for a 2021 as soon as it's livery decals are installed. Still, I named the '16 "Berta" for some reason.

The last delivery of the afternoon was scrubbed when the patient cancelled their appointment. Came home early, and spent the afternoon cleaning the bike. I don't think she'd been shown much kindness in her 10 years as a police bike, even if she's got a relatively low 20k miles.
 
Gone in 60 said:
Rolled out on my 2016 RTP for my first day as a Motorcycle Medical Courier. Lots to learn about the job, and the bike. Only made one small mistake on my first pickup, but caught it before it mattered.

I think I finally figured out the "Wonder Wheel" on the left grip on the BMW, which controls some of the functions like trip meter, seat and grip warmers, etc. The boss said not to get too used to the bike, as I'm going to be swapping for a 2021 as soon as it's livery decals are installed. Still, I named the '16 "Berta" for some reason.

The last delivery of the afternoon was scrubbed when the patient cancelled their appointment. Came home early, and spent the afternoon cleaning the bike. I don't think she'd been shown much kindness in her 10 years as a police bike, even if she's got a relatively low 20k miles.

And you're off and rolling!  Glad you made it OK for the first day.  A friend loaned me his GS1200 to ride with him to Alaska 2 summers ago.  It does take a little while to learn the wheel on the left grip.  I mainly used it for cruise control and to warm the grips, found the other options distracting.
 
Ipeterbaron said:
Gone, will you be delivering cash as well or just medicals?
If cash , I’d like to place a larger order.. ;)
No, but I guess I can hook you up with… blood?

Speaking of cash, two jobs ago, I did the cash handling for our merchandise operation at racing events and usually carried several thousand dollars in cash back home. I kept an Air Tag in my cash backpack.

I was about to order an Air Tag for my NC750X Superbird, but realized I don’t use that backpack very much any more, so I used that and saved a few bucks.
 
Got home from a delivery run in the early afternoon with my head swirling with ideas. My boss asked me to put my thoughts down so we can form a procedure manual for riders as we bring more people on board.

It was such a beautiful day, I jumped on Superbird with my laptop and headed to the park to sit under a tree and put a spreadsheet together.

I thought the CB1100 felt nimble after riding the big yellow machine... with all of its weight way down low, the NC750X feels like a large bicycle in comparison, especially when moving it around in the garage.
 
[quote="Gone in 60" pid='273332' dateline='1773194632']
Got home from a delivery run in the early afternoon
[/QUOTE]

You are making the world a better place, Gn6. Thank you.

I am a confident rider, but I must admit that Big Yellow BMW looks intimidating. :s
 
Gone in 60 said:
My boss asked me to put my thoughts down so we can form a procedure manual for riders as we bring more people on board.

My first thought is, keep it as clear and concise as possible.  Inevitably it will grow over time and become increasingly constraining, so don't kill the honeymoon phase too early.  I love the high-vis bike and wish you and the company the best.


Gone in 60 said:
I thought the CB1100 felt nimble after riding the big yellow machine... with all of its weight way down low, the NC750X feels like a large bicycle in comparison, especially when moving it around in the garage.

Has the boss considered whether blood delivery really requires such a large bike?  It certainly has presence on the road in that size and color, but I wonder if a bike half the size might do just as well.
 
Lunchbag said:
Gone in 60 said:
My boss asked me to put my thoughts down so we can form a procedure manual for riders as we bring more people on board.

My first thought is, keep it as clear and concise as possible.  Inevitably it will grow over time and become increasingly constraining, so don't kill the honeymoon phase too early.  I love the high-vis bike and wish you and the company the best.


Gone in 60 said:
I thought the CB1100 felt nimble after riding the big yellow machine... with all of its weight way down low, the NC750X feels like a large bicycle in comparison, especially when moving it around in the garage.

Has the boss considered whether blood delivery really requires such a large bike?  It certainly has presence on the road in that size and color, but I wonder if a bike half the size might do just as well.



Thanks, Lunchbag. As for the procedure manual, both the boss and I are "checklist people". I like to work with procedures and enjoy coming up with lists like this. The boss is a pilot... his version is very granular. "Put key in." We'll no doubt come up with something that makes the most sense.

As for the BMW, I see the reason. Every other word the boss utters is "safety on the road." The BMW RTP was made to ply through heavy traffic and get noticed doing it. I'm enjoying the tall riding position. It's covered in crash bars. If the bike tipped over, no part of the engine or bodywork would touch the ground. Also, it can carry a lot of stuff. The huge Pelican box on the back carries the medical samples, but we're also required to carry HAZMAT cleanup gear. There's no reason why anything should spill, but if it does, we're carrying cleanup supplies, goggles, gloves, etc. There's also paperwork, other stuff, and a little room leftover for me to pack a lunch and layers of clothing to add or shed during the day as temps get warmer or colder. This bike is made to carry a lot of stuff.

Comfort is also a big factor. The RTP is made to be ridden all day. I logged nearly 200 miles yesterday, and when I got home, I wasn't fatigued in the least. First thing I did was jump on one of my bikes and head to a park to work on my computer. 

The RTPs are fairly bulletproof, albeit with BMW's over-complicated electronics, and used police bikes are pretty cheap. The livery decal kits that are made in Europe are pre-cut for the BMW, and that's the look the boss is going for. 

Plus, heck, he just loves BMWs. His daily commuter to his office is a GSA. 

I'm not complaining!
 
Today was a special day for my little red Hooligan...
I installed a Guardian Angel bell that protects the rider and the bike from everything, including all speeding tickets and getting home safely in one piece!
My dlx is getting one as well.

19WY0ob.jpg
 
Peter, was the bell a gift? It should be given for the juju to really work well.

If not, maybe give it to someone, and have them give it back to you, maybe with a bit of a flourish.

That might trick the gremlins.
 
peterbaron said:
Today was a special day for my little red Hooligan...
I installed a Guardian Angel bell that protects the rider and the bike from everything, including all speeding tickets and getting home safely in one piece!

Now I was told that for a guardian bell to be effective it had to be given and attached by someone else?

Oops I see Gone beat me to it.
 
peterbaron said:
...I installed a Guardian Angel bell that protects the rider and the bike from everything, including all speeding tickets and getting home safely in one piece!...

Ah, so you are coming out to Oregon for a visit?
 
Back
Top