What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

I actually have no idea what caused that... the tire got damaged at (at least) 3 different sections. It was about time to change it but I believe it was properly inflated, and I don't think I rode over any debris. Very strange...
 
Frenchie said:
Got a tire tire issue on the interstate and had to have the C14 towed... Planned to go from GA to Anderson, SC... ended up to Anderson's, my neighbor who changes tires  :)

Hey i think I recognize that Road you're pulled over on! 

Do you head to Anderson often? I graduated high school in that town.
 
misterprofessionality said:
Frenchie said:
Got a tire tire issue on the interstate and had to have the C14 towed... Planned to go from GA to Anderson, SC... ended up to Anderson's, my neighbor who changes tires  :)

Hey i think I recognize that Road you're pulled over on! 

Do you head to Anderson often? I graduated high school in that town.

That would have been my first time. I stopped on I-85N right before Commerce, GA (exit 149). The plan was to take I-85 to Anderson, SC and come back down on the back roads.
 
Blew a fork seal on my Daytona 1200  :(

The fork stanchion chrome just isn't up to it after 30 years. They were honed a little five years ago but are still a little rough on the seals, replacements wouldn't last long so it's new stanchions for me. That's going to be expensive! 

I don't have a ramp so it's a pulley off some overhead railings for me  :D
 

Attachments

  • DayFork.webp
    DayFork.webp
    162.8 KB · Views: 60
I'm fighting a twinge of "maintenance apathy" on my Bonneville.
When she rolled 12k miles, I dutifully pulled the tank, replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs, and checked the valves.
She needed a few shim changes to correct some tight valves, and in the process of the adjustment, despite my best efforts to plug holes in the top of the engine, a tiny camshaft cap alignment dowel fell into the crank case. Took a few days of careful work, and a lot of angst and cursing, but I fished it out with a custom-made magnet tool.

She rolled 24k miles recently. I have the new fuel filter and spark plugs standing by on my work bench to do the job again. Even have a new valve cover gasket. But I am not eager to pop the cover and check the valves again. I adjusted them on the loose side at 12k, hoping that at 24k, they'd be somewhere in the middle of spec.

I keep coming up with excuses... she has a full tank of gas. No sense doing it till she's empty.

Ugh. Just have to get off my duff and do it.
 
last week new in stable or again with other color a late summer evening round...... :hilarious: :angel: ......and the km level of my GB350S and Grom....
 

Attachments

  • forza.webp
    forza.webp
    344.9 KB · Views: 29
  • forza1.webp
    forza1.webp
    683 KB · Views: 29
  • gb.webp
    gb.webp
    271.7 KB · Views: 29
  • grom.webp
    grom.webp
    384.8 KB · Views: 28
Gone in 60 said:
I'm fighting a twinge of "maintenance apathy" on my Bonneville.
When she rolled 12k miles, I dutifully pulled the tank, replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs, and checked the valves.
She needed a few shim changes to correct some tight valves, and in the process of the adjustment, despite my best efforts to plug holes in the top of the engine, a tiny camshaft cap alignment dowel fell into the crank case. Took a few days of careful work, and a lot of angst and cursing, but I fished it out with a custom-made magnet tool.

She rolled 24k miles recently. I have the new fuel filter and spark plugs standing by on my work bench to do the job again. Even have a new valve cover gasket. But I am not eager to pop the cover and check the valves again. I adjusted them on the loose side at 12k, hoping that at 24k, they'd be somewhere in the middle of spec.

I keep coming up with excuses... she has a full tank of gas. No sense doing it till she's empty.

Ugh. Just have to get off my duff and do it.

Done that. Had my '52 MG oil filter assembly, an old fashion canister type, removed to fit a spin on conversion. I have been trying to remove a central large screw in oilway for weeks and weeks. I could only bring myself to try for 20 minutes a day after failing miserably for half a day weeks ago. I finally cracked the thread after lots of heat cycles but I had really lost interest, I had to push myself to solve the issue. It had been there 73 years so I can't complain.
 
Watt's that you said, Nachodaddy?
 
Well, ripped off the band aid.

Pulled the valve cover on the Bonneville, changed the in tank fuel filter, and checked the valves. And, darnit, three exhaust valves are tight. I can swap a shim, and ended up ordered the other two.

Hopefully I don’t drop anything into the engine this time!
 
Mt. Hood National Forest, just looking for some fun roads
1jMwwJ3.jpg


fQEGQrC.jpg


ye2X5r5.jpg


The DR650 is a right-tool-for-the-job
ybhyRmI.jpg
 
4k7RXTH.jpg


CBN1Xyi.jpg


Target practice is popular
oT7hPQA.jpg


ehgL7ou.jpg


I use a tarp to collect all casings, and remove anything I brung.  It's a minor miracle that I didn't get a flat riding through shards of glass, boards with nails / screws and other pointy, jagged junk.
g62kMqB.jpg


Finally, a view...St. Helen's in the far distance  
xuTqKHO.jpg
 
tdbru said:
Pdedse,
what tires are you running on your DR?  adequate grip in the wet and mud?
thanks,
tdbru

They are Shinko 244s (Goldenboy trail tire), a 50/50 tire, both front and rear, around $70 front / $90 rear.  I've not ridden in much wet and mud conditions, just some puddle splashing with muddy edges.  They do fine in dry dirt and loose rock.  I've had to climb and descend some steep-ish loose dirt sections and no issues. There are a number of tires that fit the DR650 and these Shinkos are often referred to as good for the money, decent for all conditions with reasonable wear.  And they are not very noisy on the hiway.  I'd buy again.
 
Mrs. G and I had a fun Saturday. I didn’t drop parts into the Bonneville’s engine, went to a fall festival at a farm supply store, checked out a private exclusive shooting club, got flu shots, had Middle Eastern for lunch, I test rode a Scrambler 400 and almost bought a VStrom 800, and we had $25 cocktails at a jazz club.

But focusing on the middle part, Triumph was doing a big Scrambler Demo Day yesterday and I needed a few oil feed tube crush washers anyway, so I tossed a helmet in the car before we set out for the day’s adventures.

I could choose the 1200 or the 400, and am fascinated by the little 400 models so I jumped on that one. “You’re the last rider of the day and nobody is waiting for this one, so just bring it back in around 30 minutes or so.” Mrs. G took some pictures of me riding off.

Neat little bike! Zoomed around Brea, and figured I’d see how it did on the freeway. ‘Bout as well as I expected. At 70, the tach was at 7500 and flashing. Didn’t have much more in it. Not practical for my world, but a lot of fun to wring it out a bit.

The dealership sells several brands, and looking around, they had two NC750s, bikes that would be more realistic for my current situation.

A 2022, last year for the manual model that I’ve seen, at $7k. A 2023 DCT with 2k miles like new at $7500. Hmm…

The used section was outside their Suzuki showroom, so I wandered in. They had a new ‘24 VStrom 800 touring model on clearance for $8500. I casually asked for a total price out the door, and it would be about the bike’s msrp of $10k. 

Spending this morning reading about the 800. Seems they are very well regarded and do well at high speeds over long distances. Hmm..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5620.webp
    IMG_5620.webp
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
Gone in 60 said:
Mrs. G and I had a fun Saturday. I didn’t drop parts into the Bonneville’s engine, went to a fall festival at a farm supply store, ... and we had $25 cocktails at a jazz club. ...

$25 cocktails...so it was Happy Hour and the prices were reduced!

I've seen the Triumph 400 at the dealerships and have wondered "some".  If I didn't self-limit my number to 3, it's a could be bike.  

Fun day!  I forget...did you get your shims and finish with the Bonny valve job?
 
Shims are coming during the week, but everything is apart, marked, carefully laid out and ready for reassembly.

Ferret, the screw lash adjusters on the NC make that ‘22 at the dealership pretty attractive. Manual and a center stand. And the loping rpm at 70 means it wouldn’t be working hard at 80 either. I keep threatening to add a bike like that, that would make perfect sense for my place in life now, and for threats of touring.
 
Thread starter
Day 230.... finished out the month with a 48-mile ride @ 80 degrees and sunny. Except for when I was on vacation to visit Natl Parks out west with my wife for 12 days, I rode every day this month.

For September....18 of 30 days ridden.... 834 miles on the NC and 55 miles on the CB....total 889 miles
For the year .... 230 of 273 days ridden ....10,173 miles on the NC and 2,280 miles on the CB.....total 12,453 miles

92 days to go in the year
 
My Bonneville and I are doing the "Shim Wait". My two new Ebay valve shims are wending their way to me, to arrive... eventually.
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_IMG_5632.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_5632.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 56
  • thumbnail_IMG_5633.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_5633.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 57
Gone, not so sure if it is a pic issue but the cam's R-journal shows some heat discoloration or wear due to oil starvation????
How is the cam cap #3?
 
Back
Top