What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Gone, put me out of my misery! Was it the condenser coil?
 
My checklist when the condenser doesn't come on is:
1. Capacitor swollen or leaking? --> change capacitor
2. Capacitor not swollen or leaking? --> change capacitor
 
Nachodaddy said:
Gone in 60 said:
....
And, heck, now that I think about it, I am still using the oil catch pan that I got for my 18th birthday... perhaps I should be concerned...

Or maybe it is time to treat yourself to a new one?  :dodgy:

Nah, it’s pretty awesome. It’s very low and wide. Got it to slide under my Dodge Dart after I lowered it in high school. It’s great for under motorcycles too!


YCormanus said:
Gone, put me out of my misery! Was it the condenser coil?

I actually meant capacitor, not coil. It looked fine and checked out on my multi meter, but the contacts were a bit dirty. Yanked it, brushed the wire connector tabs and it fired right up. 

But to Nacho’s point, I ordered a backup. For less than twenty bucks, it’s cheap insurance.


Lunchbag said:
My checklist when the condenser doesn't come on is:
1. Capacitor swollen or leaking? --> change capacitor
2. Capacitor not swollen or leaking? --> change capacitor
Good advice!
 
What did I do with my CB1100? Didn't ride it, but patted its mirror and said I missed it, and that it would be coming home soon.

Visited Mom yesterday. Mrs. G made us a wonderful lunch, and then we set about our tasks. I had ideas of riding down on either Super Bird or the Enfield and swapping for my CB1100 that's been napping in Mom's garage for a while, but we had lots of chores to do on the way down to her place that would have made it a bit challenging to go separately. Mom visits always keep us busy. Mrs. has plenty of gardening to do for the stuff Mom finds challenging these days, and I do whatever house or car repairs are necessary. 

This time, talking with Mom, it sounded like all I'd need to do was change out a dead garden light. Easy enough. I brought a new light with us and budgeted ten minutes, an easy swap. I keep gear in the bedroom closet, so the hope was to get out on the CB for a ride a bit south to get some mural photos in Encinitas, a beach town just further south. I could be back before Mrs. G was hosing off her garden trowel. 

That is until I did my two "walk-arounds". I always walk around Mom's car to check for anything weird and check the tires, fluids and lights, and walk around the house just in case... and in this case, "Mom, how long has this damp spot been here down the side of the house?"

Some quick digging revealed a cracked sprinkler pipe. No problem. I could dig through my collection of PVC in the garage, and of course, don't have that one. 15 minutes tops, and I'll be riding. 

You know those projects that look so stupidly easy, that turn into two trips to Home Depot? Frustration grew but I still had time. Till my phone buzzed pulling back into the driveway on that second trip. It was my boss at the Petersen. Odd that he'd be contacting me on a Sunday, when I work Saturdays, but I'd have to tell him sorry, no way I could come in today. Unfortunately, he wasn't looking to cover a tour. He was letting me know that one of my Saturday colleagues had suddenly passed away. I get laser-focused on any project I'm working on, especially if I have plans to something right after that project. But I just went through the motions of finishing the pipe repair and filling in the dirt. I thought maybe a ride would be just the thing for me, but I couldn't put a single straight thought into my head and decided that it just wasn't the time. Still processing and digesting. The CB and the photo challenge will have to take a pass for now.
 
I added a CB1100 2017 rear rack to my 2014 CB1100 DLX.  It was difficult to find one for the 2014, so I found this 2017 on ebay for $150.  
Replaced the 4 long side mount bolts with 8X1.25 80mm SS allen bolts.  I had to remove the 4 larger spacers and replace them with smaller ones. 
Also added 2 chrome spacers between the rack and the side garnish up front.  (Thank You ACE Hardware)  
I have about 3/4 inch clearance between the taillight housing and the rear rack.  Very sturdy with grade 8 nuts in between the 2 rear grade 8 bolts. 
Now I have a place to transport my 6 pack of beer!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1926 A.webp
    IMG_1926 A.webp
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1927 B.webp
    IMG_1927 B.webp
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1923 C.webp
    IMG_1923 C.webp
    699.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1922 D.webp
    IMG_1922 D.webp
    772.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1924 E.webp
    IMG_1924 E.webp
    641.9 KB · Views: 40
Looks really good HondaLou!
 
Gone I trust your colleague's demise was not work related?
 
HondaLou, that is a very beautiful bike. The CB1100 has to be one of my most favorite motorcycles, and that is one shining example.
Gone, I am very sorry about your colleague dying.
 
the Ferret said:
Gone I trust your colleague's demise was not work related?

No, didn't get a cause, just a notice. I had split one of his tours with him two weeks ago when it was too large of a group for one docent to handle, and he seemed perfectly fine.


Cormanus said:
I'm sorry to hear of the death of your colleague, Gone.
Thanks, Cormanus. Our group is sort of reeling today.
 
wnNkgAw.jpg


Lou, ^^that^^ doesn't look good or professional, I see an ugly bolt thread.
For $10 or less, you can buy long hex nuts, cut them to the right spacer length, and paint them black or leave them silver. That’s exactly what I did with my DLX.
Buy the right size like 3/8 ID or larger to accomodet M8 bolt.

For example:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pa...nut-fully-threaded-zinc-plated-unc/1000131271

Carbon Steel Long Nuts, Galvanized, M10x50x14mm and M10x40x13mm, 5 Pack : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement
 
HondaLou, the bike looks wonderful. The Gold-plated chain is a particularly elegant touch. Just one final addition and your work will be done: 2 x Honda part # 95010-16001.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
Still processing and digesting.

May you find comfort and peace soon. I will remember you and yours in the days ahead. David
 
peterbaron said:
wnNkgAw.jpg


Lou, ^^that^^ doesn't look good or professional, I see an ugly bolt thread.
For $10 or less, you can buy long hex nuts, cut them to the right spacer length, and paint them black or leave them silver. That’s exactly what I did with my DLX.
Buy the right size like 3/8 ID or larger to accomodet M8 bolt.

For example:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pa...nut-fully-threaded-zinc-plated-unc/1000131271

Carbon Steel Long Nuts, Galvanized, M10x50x14mm and M10x40x13mm, 5 Pack : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

Yea.  I have a spacer for that section.  However there is no clearance between the bolt and garnish handle.   I could just cut a piece of black hose and slice it down the middle.  But once the seat is on, that section is completely covered and hidden. 
Thanks for the links.  Lou.
 
rdprdp01 said:
Gone in 60 said:
Still processing and digesting.

May you find comfort and peace soon. I will remember you and yours in the days ahead. David

Thank you very much, David. I appreciate that more than you'll know.
 
Cormanus said:
HondaLou, the bike looks wonderful. The Gold-plated chain is a particularly elegant touch. Just one final addition and your work will be done: 2 x Honda part # 95010-16001.

HA !!!  I just received those yesterday.  Trying to figure how to slip them on.  Very tight.
 
Ah Padawan, the road to enlightenment is a road travel alone you must.. :)
 
HondaLou said:
Trying to figure how to slip them on.  Very tight.

There is a thread on that.  When I read that one member's method was "just spit and man up" I felt that my manhood required me to try it.  Amazingly it did work.  But I will warn you there will come a moment in which you just gotta believe and keep pushing.  If you pause to consider how hard it is, it's all over.

I'm pretty sure the lever ends on the CB1100 levers are larger in diameter than older CBs, but the RLETs are the same.  I think that explains why they are so hard to put on, and sometimes they split on CB1100 levers.

Your bike and rack look great.
 
Back
Top