What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

For those that have replaced their chain on their CB, is it worth doing sprockets as well? Never had a chain bike before and see mixed reviews on replacing chain and sprockets or just the chain. My sprockets look just fine; chain is just getting towards the end of the adjustment. Not looking to buy the expensive sprockets as well as the chain if possible.
Thanks!
 
Can you post pics of the sprockets?
 
I will take some tonight
 
MagnaRider said:
For those that have replaced their chain on their CB, is it worth doing sprockets as well? Never had a chain bike before and see mixed reviews on replacing chain and sprockets or just the chain. My sprockets look just fine; chain is just getting towards the end of the adjustment. Not looking to buy the expensive sprockets as well as the chain if possible.
Thanks!

Seems many folk will say change out both at the same time for reasons you've likely already seen via reviews.  Do both front and rear sprockets look fine?  I read of one guy saying that he changes front every other time because it can wear more quickly than rear sprocket.  This still raises the question of "drive chain noise" and "shortening the life of the new chain".

Too much for me to think about.  At nearing 27k miles, I'm planning on changing chain and both sprockets at the same time "soon" (next year or two).  It will be more than 8 years when I do so, and when I think about the expense spread out over time it is more palatable.
 
Thanks for the input. A lot of the question comes from the manual not saying they should be replaced together, only if the sprocket looks worn should it be replaced.
Which if Honda wanted to sell more parts they would just say replace both. Whereas on the forums is the only place I've seen replace both being the method with mixed reasoning
 
My original chain, both sprockets and rubber damper set were replaced at about 41k miles. The chain/sprockets were not regularly lubricated. The chain was bad but the sprockets were still good but not perfect.

diO3mxX.jpg


ZczY976.jpg


N1lztgk.jpg


I then started servicing the chain and sprockets every 500 miles or sometimes more often, especially after rain. For about 20k+ miles it did not need chain adjustment due to frequent lubrication.

Then I replaced just the chain because the sprockets were in perfect condition.

Usually parts that work together should be replaced as a set, but because the sprockets were in such a good condition, I replaced just the chain a second time.

I sold my white CB at about 83k miles, so two chains and one set of spockets.
 
Since I'm commuting less, I'm doing my best to build in more riding for leisure when I can, but I'm still getting up to speed with a rather challenging new job, so finding the time is challenging. That just means that I'm learning to relish any riding time that I can get. I had a few hours on Sunday after hiking with Mrs. and doing some couples errands.

On one of our stops, we ducked in to a Costco to look at large planters for a gardening product. I spotted a shirt I liked but they didn't have my size. So, my "mission" was to ride to the other Costco stores south of us to search for the shirt, and ride back home along the coast. That plan worked pretty well. Found the shirt at the second stop, and by then I was well south of home. And, I had survived the experience of hitting two different Costco stores close to closing time on Sunday and trying to get out. I appreciated being on the CB, which allowed me to skirt a lot of the exodus traffic.

Made my way to Laguna Beach, and stopped for a coffee . I became the prototypical motorcyclist stopping at this particular very-visible Starbucks to show off my bike. Got a few "nice bike" comments too. Then, made my way up Pacific Coast Highway through Laguna, Crystal Cove, Corona del Mar and Newport Beach. This is what I call the "Peacock Route", frequented by guys in exotic cars showing them off along the coast. I guess the CB blended in well.

A nice evening ride, and mission accomplished.
 
rdprdp01 said:
2017 CB said:
rdprdp01 said:
2017 CB, please advise what technique you used to post the images in this thread. Thank you.

Nothing special, just the regular "Click or Drop some files here to upload..." however, I noticed that there's no limit to attached file size.

I did not want to discourage anyone from posting anything, big or small. Will revisit if it becomes an issue
I tried to post more than two pics on a recent post using click or drop…no luck.?


rdprdp01 said:
2017 CB said:
rdprdp01 said:
2017 CB, please advise what technique you used to post the images in this thread. Thank you.

Nothing special, just the regular "Click or Drop some files here to upload..." however, I noticed that there's no limit to attached file size.

I did not want to discourage anyone from posting anything, big or small. Will revisit if it becomes an issue
I tried to post more than two pics on a recent post using click or drop…no luck.?
 
There is a limit of 2MB (I think) on photos. If the total size of the pictures was more than that and you dropped them together, maybe that caused the problem? Just a guess.
 
Thread starter
You are correct. The total post size for drag and drop is 2 MB for all files included in the post. If someone has multiple files to post, I would recommend posting them one picture at a time.

Imgur is an option for large picture posting but requires more steps.

The CB1100 Community Forum
 
If you have a Windows PC you can right click an image and "open with" Photos. The bottom of the screen will tell you the file size. If it is too big simply resize by clicking on the three dots ... in the menu and it will give you the choice to "Resize Image". There you can resize by % and it will tell you the new file size as you make changes. When done just save the photo either in the same name or an annotated name if you don't want to lose your original files resolution.
 
I did a brief ride up to Spruce Pine this morning to check out a potential route for this year's rally. On the way back I stopped in Little Switzerland, had an iced tea and picked up a Devil's Whip T-shirt. Decided to check out the Diamondback, 226A, on the way home, and am happy to report that it's about 85 percent fixed from Helene. 2 lanes open the length. New guardrails. Permanent asphalt patches. It's not as good as when we rode it for last year's rally, but it's back to being fun!
 
All righty! Perhaps earn I will the Full Jedi Badge from Lord Popgun with all the servicing I have given the bike this month. At around 40k miles, I thought I'd better learn to do some stuff.

- New tires (Angel GT radials, as before. Thanks to Euro Motorsports of Asheville for the mounting. Good folks).
- New oil and filter (OEM filter and Honda 10w30 dinosaur renderings).
- New sprockets (OEM ratio. Thanks to several forum folks for advice and consultation on this one).
- New chain (of course).
- New sparkplugs.
- New air filter cartridge.
- New brake pads front and rear.
- New mount for the GPS (left the old one attached to my rental bike in Italy, dang it).
- New chromium bar ends donated by a fellow forum member a good while ago. Thanks, Christian!)

I gotta say, I enjoyed most of the the process. Special thanks to forum member and neighbor Mark for his help and supervision. Sorry about the occasional blue language.  :angel:
The brake pads , chain and sprockets showed no significant wear and could have gone many, many more miles. But while I was in there, why not?
I also got to purchase some fun new tools. I especially like my fancy impact driver. I need to find more things to impact!
So, I'm ready for the rally. See everyone there!
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:


Frenchie said:
Finally took the CB for a spin this morning, a short 90-mile ride to Covington, GA, where quite some movies / TV series were filmed (The Dukes of Hazzard, etc).

Fun photos! Are you considering making it to the rally in August? It's always a fun time and everyone is very welcoming.
 
You're a champion, Bob.  :beerchug:

Tell me about the impact driver. Is it a new-fangled electrical one? Or is it one of those marvellous old-fashioned beasts where you put the bit in the screw head and give the end a belt with a hammer?
 
Back
Top