What ?Bike Lift? do you recommend?

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I own the 4 bikes listed in my signature and am interested in purchasing a quality bike lift. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge, pro or con, that they can share? I’m not looking for the cheapest nor the most expensive... but am looking for a quality lift that can handle a bigger heavier bike and while I don’t want to waste money, I’m not terribly concerned with the cost. Suggestions anyone? And btw, Happy New Year. I’m retiring at the end of this month and plan on getting a bit more involved again on this forum going forward. Thanks!
 
The "Handy lifts are high quality pieces of equipment , not cheap but very good with extra additions available for other power sport machines and lawn tractors/mowers.
 
ABBA Stand
They make a few but I have the std small one that works as a glorified centre stand. With the attachment to Mount it to the frame, you can remove the swingarm.
It’s a very handy item and I used to use mine on a lift too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am with Charlie Bravo... I have the Harbor Freight unit and it does everything I need of it and have had it for over 5 years. It gets used constantly and I mean constantly. There is always a bike on it and it has never failed.

I did drill holes in it a the edges to install Eye-Bolts for better tie down locations. Other wise I love it.

When the wife surprised me with it on my birthday... I have no idea how she got it to the house... I thought UGH! It will take up so much room and will be in the way. Well After the first few bikes I worked on using it I was so grateful! Great gift and one of the best she ever got me.
 
I changed the oil and filter on my FJR the other day. Told my wife it was my last at home oil change. I simply can not get down on the floor or back up again. A lift would indeed be handy but I don't have the room, and I'm sure i couldn't get either bike on the centerstand while on the lift. My brother has one and my son's FIL has one (both Harbor Freight) and when the time comes I will be calling on them to use theirs and their assistance to get the bikes up on their centerstands...or the simplest thing would be to call my son over to do the oil changes for me since he can still get down and back up again. lol
 
I have the HF lift. I did some mods on it and for what I use it for I’m happy with it. Biggest issue is putting a bike on it. If you’re short you’ll also have issues taking it off. You can’t put your feet down and ride a bike up. Too narrow for that making it very dangerous. There is a whole cottage industry out there for farkles/mods. Google it. Some cool home made stuff to address the shortcomings for getting bikes on and off safely.

Regardless of the mods, I wouldn’t put my Road King on it. Primarily due to weight concerns. 600 pounds or less I think you’re golden. They’re so cheap in cost I bought one for my daughters garage for her Sportster. I use the lift as a parking spot for a bike so it technically takes up no additional space since the bike would be sitting there anyway.
 
While you're contemplating new lifts, I would recommend keeping an eye on the used market as well. I acquired my Handy lift via craigslist many years ago. It's a top-notch product that I highly recommend. I ended up purchasing the Handy lift for around the same price as a new Harbor Freight unit. Prior to the Handy lift I had a Kendon lift that I had also found on craigslist. The Kendon was an interesting design that could easily be moved around and stored upright against the wall when not in use. I passed the Kendon along to a friend after finding the Handy lift. It worked out great as I love the Handy lift while he was very limited on space at the time so the Kendon worked perfectly for him.
 
I have a HF lift that I have had for 10+ years that has served me well. It's ok if that is all you want to spend on a lift. About 5 years ago I found a used Handy lift with wings(extensions on the side) and highly recommend one. The wings make it more useful. You can work on mowers including zero turns and small ATV's.
 
The Handy Lifts were the best around for a long time, with heavy duty hydraulic/pneumatic cylinders. They even had an electric motor actuated model. New ones use an airbag, which makes them much lighter, but sometimes slides forward as you roll the bike on, and takes longer to lift.

The best feature about them is the multi-position ratcheting safety, which made it very secure. It is much more stable than an HF one. A good used one is the best value.
 
I am really stunned by the prices mentioned. A "heavy duty" lift is 4 arms, 4 rollers, a sheet metal platform (anti slip) and one or two cylinders, all of this being common DIY material found in any Home Dep. If you can do the welding, do it and have fun. If you can't have the local metal workshop do the welding - it's under 1 hour of their time.
The more you can do yourself, the cheaper it gets. Start with parts list and drawings, and invite your family on a trip to Vegas for the money saved. Good luck !
 
It is a bit more work than you think to make a good lift and yes I did two welding courses at a tech school both MIG and Stick welding and had my own Miller Mig welder when farming.
 
If you have a relative or a good friend who has one, you don't need your own. I use my BIL's and all is costs is a bottle of middle shelf bourbon. I'm heading out to my BIL's place to change the Honda oil and put tires on it very soon since I decided to keep it.
 
Houtman_imp said:
It is a bit more work than you think to make a good lift and yes I did two welding courses at a tech school both MIG and Stick welding and had my own Miller Mig welder when farming.
It's always a little more ... :cool:
but I wouldn't have said what I said, if I didn't knew how to build rigs.
 
Back
Top