Weight Lifting for Riding Fitness

Reading all of this while I click to renew my gym membership for another year. Promise I'll go more in 2020. If they just didn't have an In-N-Out Burger joint right in front of it in the parking lot...

Actually, I'm way behind the eight ball. I work for an event company, and my season fires up in a few weeks. 16 hour days at a race track dragging heavy stuff around, lifting, climbing ladders and doing stuff like that. I train a lot over the winter to survive the season, but I was down for a long time with pneumonia this winter. I'm shipping stuff to our first races, loading pallets, moving boxes, and I can already tell the first few events are going to be a challenge.
 
Thread starter
Sounds like it’s hard to make working out a habit on that schedule, Gi60.

Ferret, I don’t think I’m in any danger of getting “jacked” like Arnold on a strength training program. :rofl: A lot of really strong guys are not jacked. To look like that you have to do a lot of stuff unrelated to strength per se, like high reps / low weight with specific muscles to generate hypertrophy.
 
Stichell, I have no good excuse. The gym is less than a 1/2 mile walk from my house. I can pass the burger joint if I hold my nose and don't smell the grilled onions wafting through the parking lot.

And no, you don't have to be jacked to get strong. My last boss was freaky in shape, and did spartan events almost every weekend. With work clothes on, he just looked like a skinny guy. Trade shows were fun with him... he could only eat certain things to maintain his regimen, so mealtimes were excruciating as he tried to figure out where he could eat in a different city. "I can't eat here, but I can eat at this one place, but it's an hour drive away, or I can eat at this other place, but they won't have anything that you can eat."
 
I have a Silver Sneakers membership at the local YMCA but never go lol
 
I have never been to a gym and have absolute no intention of ever going to one.
It never amazes me that people going to a gym drive around the parking lot to find a parking spot close to the entrance door .
Many people ask me if I work out , I say no , I just do a lot a gardening and other chores in and around the house to keep me fit , we do try to walk every day and NOT to a Dunkin Donut.
 
Don't know when that pic was taken, but to be fair, recently Arnold has publicly mentioned that he had suffered a heart attack and his GP advised him against doing any more heavy lifting. He didn't go into his specific routines but only mentioned bicycle riding and training with lighter weights.

The ferret_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
Sounds like you have a good thing going, Stichill, good for you! We are the same age. Speaking from experience I must say, be careful with the overhead exercises, you don’t want a rotator cuff injury, trust me. I’m three weeks post-op from shoulder surgery and it’s a brutal recovery as many will attest to.
My right shoulder surgery recovery was brutal. It was 6 months before I could draw a hunting weight bow and a year before it felt normal.

Not over head exercises for me, but a life time of bow shooting. The equivalent of bench presses.

Just be sure and keep it up once you start lol

482dc1593310c09d835684fefca88eb3.jpg
My right shoulder surgery recovery was brutal. It was 6 months before I could draw a hunting weight bow and a year before it felt normal.

Not over head exercises for me, but a life time of bow shooting. The equivalent of bench presses.

Just be sure and keep it up once you start lol

f5d387b5acb58d816ca3d42941a27e30.jpg
 
Lol I was just messing with Hank. Arnold is in his 70s now, cant expect him to stay buff forever. He sure was a specimen when he was young though.
 
Yeah, he's such a legend ! I sometimes wonder if he still rides a motorcycle after that bad collision that he had on his Harley way back when (mid-2000s ?)..
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have never been to a gym and have absolute no intention of ever going to one.
It never amazes me that people going to a gym drive around the parking lot to find a parking spot close to the entrance door .
Many people ask me if I work out , I say no , I just do a lot a gardening and other chores in and around the house to keep me fit , we do try to walk every day and NOT to a Dunkin Donut.
You must have good genes .. :). Some of us don't. I have been going to gym regularly since I was 58 (7 years ago) and it really helps me (during CA's wacky random covid shutdowns, also have weights/etc on patio that I share with moto neighbor). My 24 Hour Fitness gym has no-impact ellipticals for caridio which I love, otherwise use bicycle on CA wacky covid days. Got hit by car on bicycle at age 55 (broken ribs and bruises) and the sports rehab people changed my whole approach to working out. Now do running elliptical (allows long strides), free weights for squats, presses, curls (not machines which cause uneven/unnatural motion for my muscles), situps via crunch bench because it supports lower back, back extensions, then the True Stretch cage which kinda forces all upper and lower torso stretching to include the big hip and butt muscles. So far so good ... just have to supplement with fish oil and ibuprofen :)
 
With my wife being a nurse we try to eat as healthy as possible but not in a freaky way and portion control is VERY important.
Treat your food as medicine , if you do not than medicine will be your food.
 
Houtman has the right attitude in that we all should try to find the kinds of exercise that we enjoy doing. It becomes less of a chore, then, even if the exercise happens to be "chores". That said, I do enjoy doing strength/weight training and I need to get back in to the habit of doing so.
 
Some people are naturally healthier than others. Top tier athletes fall over and die in the prime of their lives. Not saying exercise and eating healthy doesn't help, because it certainly CAN, but with anything in life there are no guarantees. I've seen interviews with people in their hundreds that claim all kind of goofy reasons for living that long. In the end IMO it's generally a matter of genetics, a good dose of luck, and doing everything in moderation including eating, drinking and exercising, not having too much stress in your life and getting enough sleep.
 
Amen, Ferret. And besides, if you look at those lists of "Life Shorteners", motorcycling is in there someplace anyhow. So have a cocktail, or go hunting, or do some gardening, or lift weights, orrrrr ride your motorcycle and try make each day a happy one. Now I'm heading home on my motorcycle and going to dust the house because it's a healthy activity -- not because dusting is a great exercise, but because Cheryl will shorten my life if I don't.
 
In studies with identical twins it showed that life style had a far greater influence on long livety than your genes. You can NOT change your genes but YOU have a big say in your life style. Do not leave it to luck alone....
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Houtman has the right attitude in that we all should try to find the kinds of exercise that we enjoy doing. It becomes less of a chore, then, even if the exercise happens to be "chores". That said, I do enjoy doing strength/weight training and I need to get back in to the habit of doing so.
Well said MTC.

As an example: Most people loath shoveling the driveway, especially if it is wide and/or long. I treat mine as an opportunity and can usually clear it faster than the neighbour who uses a snowblower and has less than a third of the area to cover. I work fast, usually only in a t-shirt because I still hate the work - but it has to be done (otherwise the bike ain't getting out). The neighbours: Completely zipped and scarfed up. The downside of manual shoveling? If snow dumps three times in a day, the wear and tear can be overwhelming.

EmptySea_imp said:
Amen, Ferret. And besides, if you look at those lists of "Life Shorteners", motorcycling is in there someplace anyhow. So have a cocktail, or go hunting, or do some gardening, or lift weights, orrrrr ride your motorcycle and try make each day a happy one. Now I'm heading home on my motorcycle and going to dust the house because it's a healthy activity -- not because dusting is a great exercise, but because Cheryl will shorten my life if I don't.
RE dusting: :rofl: Again, another thing that's gotta be done.
 
re shoveling snow

All Health Topics

You don't want to shovel my driveway lol ... you don't even want to use a big snow blower ... I use a Honda ATV w/blade. Even then it's a chore

7ff11cf35a27e2b5dd79b9ff03a2e990.jpg


3a72227bafbe4deb2dfc72d3ec118686.jpg


df6c11aea801267f3992b6212f4e4e2f.jpg


83e1bb2b5a50d1ca19a5628c5c91fa30.jpg
 
No Ferret - I definitely would not want to hand shovel all that. I am sure there are enough "little bits" to do where the ATV won't fit.

Nevertheless, what a fun facsimile to riding a motorcycle when clearly the day won't allow.
 
Yea extra hours in the saddle lol. Like you said though, dont plow it out of the way, cant get the motorcycles out.
 
Back
Top