Weight Lifting for Riding Fitness

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
Motorcycles are heavy. Riders need to have enough physical strength to handle them. Also, riding places a lot of strain on the arms, shoulders, and upper back.

At 57, I finally decided to get myself into better shape. Usually for me that means dieting. This time, I decided to try weight lifting to improve my fitness for riding and just for life in general.

Thankfully, my son is extremely well-educated in lifting and has started competing at the amateur level. He spent time teaching me how to do some of the lifts and created a program to get me started. For the last month, I've been doing a 1-hour workout three days a week as follows:

Monday - Push Exercises[ul] [li]Barbell Bench Press 4 sets 6 reps (heavy)[/li] [li]Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 sets 8 reps (heavy)[/li] [li]Dumbbell Bench Press 3 sets 10 reps (intermediate)[/li] [li]Lateral Raises 3 sets 12 reps (light, optional)[/li] [li]Tricep Pushdown 2 sets 12 reps (light, optional)
[/li][/ul]
Tuesday - Pull Exercises[ul] [li]Barbell Row 4 sets 8 reps (heavy)[/li] [li]Dumbbell Row (knee on bench) 4 sets 10 reps (intermediate_[/li] [li]Lat Pulldown (chair) 3 sets 10 reps (intermediate)[/li] [li]Cable Row (chair) 3 sets 8 reps (intermediate)[/li] [li]Bicep Curl 2 sets 8 reps (light, optional)
[/li][/ul]
Friday - Leg Exercises[ul] [li]Squat 4 sets 6 reps (heavy)[/li] [li]Squat - Intermediate 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate)[/li] [li]Deadlift (heavy)[/li] [li]Romanian Deadlift (intermediate)
[/li][/ul]
I'm keeping a log of my progress, and it's amazing! I'm surprising myself by lifting weights that would have scared me the first week that I started. I'm gaining confidence and really starting to enjoy the activity and the results. I can tell my grip strength is improving as well.

I found some really good training videos at barbell-logic.com that give you detailed pointers on how to perform various lifts correctly so that you are safe and don't injure yourself. Another good one for a quick review is [url=https://exrx.net/Lists/Directory]ExRx.net.
 
Ve vant to pump you up, so you von't be a gurly man

Strength fitness is a good goal. Hope you are able to keep it up. Core strength is really important as we age, and can make a big difference during long days in the saddle
Btw is your son in law still riding?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ve vant to pump you up, so you von't be a gurly man

Strength fitness is a good goal. Hope you are able to keep it up. Core strength is really important as we age, and can make a big difference during long days in the saddle
Btw is your son in law still riding?
Nice job.
 
I don't own a snow blower, although there were times I wish I did. Nevertheless, with proper approach and form, I enjoy a healthy snow fall and throwing. I usually get good cadence and torque built-up and shed clothes down to the t-shirt to remain comfortable.

Looks like a potential dumping this Sunday. :)
 
Good for you Stichill :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have a complete set of weights and a bench that I used for ages when I was younger.
These days I sort of "play at it" rather than doing a proper routine (I'll be 82 next week :D), but it's a great way to get the blood flowing and feeling invigorated.
 
Stichill vont to look buff to pick up ze hot chicks, ya!

Good stuff. I've been lifting for about 25 years - initially because my brother-in-law would probably have beaten me up if I didn't go to the gym with him. The health benefits are obvious and - i'll confess plainly - looking like a V instead of an A was nice too.
 
DAC_imp said:
Stichill vont to look buff to pick up ze hot chicks, ya!

Good stuff. I've been lifting for about 25 years - initially because my brother-in-law would probably have beaten me up if I didn't go to the gym with him. The health benefits are obvious and - i'll confess plainly - looking like a V instead of an A was nice too.

Believe it or not I lifted a lot when my wife and I were first married. She liked my 6 packs and pecs. But that was 1/2 century ago. Eventually I quit lifting and the pecs turned into floppy man boobs and the 6 pack turned into a half barrel. These days I mostly resemble an M&M peanut. Look at a picture of Arnold these days without a shirt on. Ewwwwww. In his prime he looked magnificent. But 1/2 century later not so much. If you don't keep up the exercise, the muscles revert to fat.

Truth be told lifting for most is just a phase they go through, get bored with it and then quit. They like the increase in bulk and size and don't really do it for the health issues, they just want to look big and buff. For exercise you should do lots of light reps and lots of aero, and skip the heavy reps... and since you don't go anywhere when lifting but stand in one spot, it eventually gets boring. And it's mostly a solo thing. Groups of guys just don't get around and lift, and when you are all alone, it's easy to quit.

I don't see as many bar bell sets for sale out on yards as I used to. They have been replaced with those walker and bicycle things that sit in the basemen and collect clothes and stuff.
 
A lot of truth here. I walk, ride my bicycle, and do some yoga, although none of that helped a few weeks ago when I dropped my BMW R1100RT while it was parked on the side of the road. I could not pick it up. Luckily for me, this little Latin gal came along and we were able to get the shiny side up again.
 
I tell ya, if you have it - snow shoveling, and a lot of it. No snow thrower. Just get out and do it by hand.

Not for the weak-hearted ... and I mean that passionately. If your heart is weak to begin with, then it is not recommended.

With disciplined lift and cadence, the mass builds and reinforces upper body torque and useful muscle tissue. In addition, it reinforce muscles to support the back.

Example: A case point using the driveway, I typically clear it before my neighbour's when they use a snow thrower, and my driveway is two to three times larger in area. I also push half the snow to the end of the driveway, rather than to the side. When I was younger, I could not do this.

I use to have back issues, but don't anymore. I credit the regime for shoulder support on a downhill, high-side *slam*. Something should have broken, but did not (well, except pieces of the bike :( and helmet). The initial point of impact was the shoulder.

- - -

Anyway, you get a cleared property without the noise and fossil fume pollution, ... and the CB and its stable mates can ride across with little drama. The only negatives I have had thus far are numerous broken shovels, even good quality ones, and a few instances of too much heavy snow requiring triple clearing in 24 hours. (*phew!*)

Any sort of muscle toning regime cannot be bad for anyone at any age. Just do it, especially if you are going to use it.
 
Thread starter
For me, this weight lifting is part of an overall life makeover. I decided to become more intentional in the way I'm living my life vs. just kind of going with the flow and reacting to life as it comes at me. I'm working on getting myself in better shape mentally, physically, financially, emotionally, and socially. Not that I'm a complete basket case or anything, but we can all improve ourselves and get better. We just have to get the motivation and make the commitment to doing it.
 
Sounds very motivating and positive Stichill. In addition, it could possibly add "insurance" to one's health while enjoying it to the fullest possible.
 
Thread starter
Just an update on my strengthlifting program. I'm going up in weight cautiously, but I'm now squatting and deadlifting more than my body weight. My weakest lifts are overhead press and bench press, but those are coming along as well.

Physiologically, I've noticed these tangible changes:
[ul] [li]Reduced cholesterol level / doctor ordered cut in anti-cholesterol medicine (statin) in half from 10 mg to 5 mg[/li] [li]Sounder, deeper sleep, longer sleep[/li] [li]Higher energy level[/li] [li]Brisker walking pace[/li] [li]Better balance and coordination[/li] [li]Reduced fatigue at the tops of stairs[/li] [li]Increased useful strength for everyday tasks (hauling 50# bags of bird seed, carrying luggage, racking ladder in the garage, etc.)[/li] [li]Better mental outlook / mood / optimism / self-confidence[/li] [li]Appetite for protein-rich foods, reduced desire for junk food and fast food[/li] [li]Ability to eat 500 more calories per day while still losing 1 lb. / 0.45 kg per month[/li] [li]Use of hand and power tools with more precision, control, and power[/li] [li]More confidence in being able to handle the aging process physically
[/li][/ul]
Really looking forward to seeing how this will positively impact riding a motorcycle in terms of fatigue level and muscle soreness.
 
These are really stellar responses to your regime Stich. Congratulations on making it return value. I have no doubt your ride experiences will benefit.

- - -

Personally, one advantage of bulking up a wee bit is insurance in case one goes down. I had this happen. I should have broke my collar bone and maybe something in the hip area, but I did not. The upper body "bulk" allowed me to brace for impact. For sure I thought something was broken, but I was able to shake it off in about 20 minutes. I had some wicked bruising, but was essentially riding immediately after and thereafter with a somewhat shattered bike.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the encouragement, GO! That's very interesting regarding resilience to going down...if it's all the same to you, I won't be attempting it even for the sake of science! :rofl:
 
Sounds like you have a good thing going, Stichill, good for you! We are the same age. Speaking from experience I must say, be careful with the overhead exercises, you don’t want a rotator cuff injury, trust me. I’m three weeks post-op from shoulder surgery and it’s a brutal recovery as many will attest to.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Sounds like you have a good thing going, Stichill, good for you! We are the same age. Speaking from experience I must say, be careful with the overhead exercises, you don’t want a rotator cuff injury, trust me. I’m three weeks post-op from shoulder surgery and it’s a brutal recovery as many will attest to.
My right shoulder surgery recovery was brutal. It was 6 months before I could draw a hunting weight bow and a year before it felt normal.

Not over head exercises for me, but a life time of bow shooting. The equivalent of bench presses.

Just be sure and keep it up once you start lol

482dc1593310c09d835684fefca88eb3.jpg
 
Back
Top