Waaaaaa! There's a chip in my tanks paint!

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
OMG, OMG, OMG... I found a chip in my tanks paint today... sniff, sniff. :(

It's always heartbreaking when the first flaw in your baby occurs, sigh...:s

Got to deal with it and move in. :biker:
 
Mate, that's sad.

On the other hand, it's all easier from here on in. They're made to be used and they simply can't stay pristine for ever—unless of course you don't use them.
 
That first one does hurt.

I chipped the front lip of my tank trying to put the tank back on. (hint: it's easier to remove and reinstall a tank when it's not full of gas :s).

I spent $50 for a stick of primer, base and genuine Honda color paint. While better, there's still visible reminder of the small chip if you look hard.
 
In the recent thread about filling one's tank while seated on the bike I mentioned that I remove the tank bag and place it on my seat to keep the bag from picking up debris. I was at the Mods v. Rockers bike show in Chicago a few months after purchasing my CB1100 and I set the tank bag against a fence for a bit. I must have picked up some metal flakes on my magnets and by the time I got home I had several scratches in the beautiful paint. I share your sadness about this tragedy, Tink. I have been able to move on with my life; the paint would have wanted it that way, but I still mourn. I still grieve.

I have to close this note now...I need to find some tissues and a quiet place in my office to cry for a minute.
 
I had my iPhone mounted to low once( trying to take video of my >112MPH post ECU flash run), turned the handlebars and the iPhone mount chipped the paint....
Would that be called a "Dink"
 
So far, I've been fortunate with my CB. Can't say the same for my car. Within two weeks of buying it, I scraped the paint off the lower right bumper on the curb outside my house. Now there's a black scuff mark about the size of a baseball that my eyes immediately go to whenever I'm on that side of the car. It'll cost me around $250 to have it properly repaired. I haven't fixed it yet but certainly will. It's driving me crazy.

I know it's just a matter of time before the paint on the CB takes a hit and I'm dreading that day. My hope is that the black will do a decent job of concealing any damage. Especially if the area is treated afterwards with touch-up paint and wax. As I was riding yesterday, I looked down at my tank and thought how beautiful it was. I wondered what it will look like in 15 years (the length of time until I retire). I made a silent vow to do everything I could to keep this bike in top shape while continuing to ride it as often as possible. Over time, we all develop scars. I suppose our CBs are no different.
 
Went to give the beautiful Red Honda a wax and I saw a chip. Very difficult to wax properly when tears are clouding my eyes.
 
I did a double whammy… This summer I pulled over to the side of the road to make a call and dropped the phone on the tank….chip in the tank and dent on the phone. I know how you feel
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Mate, that's sad.

On the other hand, it's all easier from here on in. They're made to be used and they simply can't stay pristine for ever—unless of course you don't use them.
I agree Cormanus, the low mileage pristine bikes don't have much of a life story to tell. I treat my motors gently, and service them regularly, (and they generally return the favor with reliability and longevity) but anyone looking at one of my bikes can tell you they were ridden... a lot. Rub marks, rock chips, dead bugs, scuffs here and there, say the owner of this bike, cared more about riding than polishing. I will spray on some S100 and wash them once or twice a year, may even hit the tank and side covers with some Honda spray polish, once or twice a season but mainly I ride them. My ST 1300 is still wearing U.P. Of Michigan paint overspray from a Men's Fall Trip several years ago, California bugs from last June's trip to the Pacific Coast Highway and this winters Ohio road salt. My CB has Kentucky bugs from last years Men's Fall trip and a bit of Ohio salt as well. My bikes will never be accused of being garage queens. I buy them to ride them, and ride them I do, and if some "beauty marks" are acquired along the way, so be it.
 
oh, the pain...
while I don't do the distance tour thing like I used to, I've decided that *one* of the bikes is now the 'designated tourer'. The one that will take all the rain, the scuffing and the (very) occasional loaded bike tip-over.
I've had a more peaceful existence since then...
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Mate, that's sad.

On the other hand, it's all easier from here on in. They're made to be used and they simply can't stay pristine for ever—unless of course you don't use them.
I agree Cormanus, the low mileage pristine bikes don't have much of a life story to tell. I treat my motors gently, and service them regularly, (and they generally return the favor with reliability and longevity) but anyone looking at one of my bikes can tell you they were ridden... a lot. Rub marks, rock chips, dead bugs, scuffs here and there, say the owner of this bike, cared more about riding than polishing. I will spray on some S100 and wash them once or twice a year, may even hit the tank and side covers with some Honda spray polish, once or twice a season but mainly I ride them. My ST 1300 is still wearing U.P. Of Michigan paint overspray from a Men's Fall Trip several years ago, California bugs from last June's trip to the Pacific Coast Highway and this winters Ohio road salt. My CB has Kentucky bugs from last years Men's Fall trip and a bit of Ohio salt as well. My bikes will never be accused of being garage queens. I buy them to ride them, and ride them I do, and if some "beauty marks" are acquired along the way, so be it.
I'm with 'ya Ferret. My bikes get a thorough scrub down about once a year and occasional swipes with some microfiber cloth for obvious smudges in between. When I first read the title of this thread, I had no idea whether or not I'd acquired my first paint chip. I probably won't find out until it's time for the annual spring bath in a few weeks.
 
I rode the VFR into work this morning. As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed a light spattering of dust on the CB's tank. I couldn't leave without first cleaning it off. I did this knowing nobody would see it today and that when I go to ride the CB tomorrow, it will most likely have yet another light coat of dust. I am unapologetically obsessive when it comes to that motorcycle. Not so much with the VFR although I do tend to keep it clean as well.
 
Used vs Abused: Accidents happen during use (tank dings), that falls under use. What really angers me is seeing a bike left outdoors all winter with no cover (my neighbor), that's abuse ! I just sold my 05 Cooper S and it looked mint, ran mint, but it was used the way it was meant to be. My 90s pickup on the other hand looks used and has been, but never abused. To many folks these days have the attitude that its no big deal, just buy a new one when it falls apart....that's just not right.
 
Back
Top