the Ferret
Road warrior
cb400four_imp said:Tim, I've worked a bit in Timor-Leste where the practice is very common. Usually a scooter and sometimes with a couple of kids as well.Cormanus_imp said:Tim, I've worked a bit in Timor-Leste where the practice is very common. Usually a scooter and sometimes with a couple of kids as well.MrTim_imp said:Awesome trip report CB400four, some workmates and myself are planning a similar tour of Cambodia in November so this is much appreciated!
Oh and I have to ask, is it common for young women to ride side-saddle on the pillion? I think it looks very lady like and surprisingly appealing!
MrTim, the trip to Cambodia should be great for you, my wife and I travelled there (not by bike) and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Drop me a PM if I can be of any help; plus, I'd love to hear about the proposed itinerary.
+1 on Cormanus' comment. In my experience, sidesaddle pillion riders are even more popular in India where long skirts are common; when I was travelling there I noticed that many of the motorbikes have a chrome 'grille' on the left side only which covers the rear wheel and keeps skirts etc from entangling in the wheel when riding sidesaddle.
chrome grille (always on the left side)
![]()
and in use
![]()
Interesting. I wonder what it's like for the passenger when the the driver makes a right turn and the passenger is leaning backwards.
