Randy B
Road warrior
Thread starter
I just ran across this and since the 2017 is equipped with one I figured I'd toss it up for those that don't know what it is.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

AgreeRolls_imp said:Good stuff. Was wondering how slipper clutches pulled off their magic.

That wasn't the point of my post though. It will, for the first time, be incorporated on the CB1100 starting with the 2017 model year.rusty1_imp said:Great video, But Honda started to use slipper clutch's on production motorcycles back in the early 80's on the v-four motors [and some other motors] and have used them off and on since. 36years ago!
Yep that's what I first thought; never felt the clutch was especially hard to pull in. But as the technology becomes more common and cheaper to manufacture, now I see as it makes great sense. The very light clutch pull reduces rider fatigue and aids precision, and of course the slipper feature is just a good safety item. It IS hard to get used to the ultralight feel at first. It's like ABS and traction control, in due course of time all bikes will have these "new" features. Thanks, Randy B!kmoney_imp said:They're cool for sport bikes, but if I had to ask for one feature to be added to a CB this wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Seems like kind of an odd addition to the bike.
Yep that's what I first thought; never felt the clutch was especially hard to pull in. But as the technology becomes more common and cheaper to manufacture, now I see as it makes great sense. The very light clutch pull reduces rider fatigue and aids precision, and of course the slipper feature is just a good safety item. It IS hard to get used to the ultralight feel at first. It's like ABS and traction control, in due course of time all bikes will have these "new" features. Thanks, Randy B! Interesting. I never knew it would have an effect on lever effort. Cool to know.Ulvetanna_imp said:Many new bikes have the assist/slipper clutch these days. It's much easier to pull the lever and helps prevent rear wheel skid. The clutch on the Street Cup is amazingly light as is the clutch on the new Z650. Kawasaki uses these even on the 300 Ninja series.
Yep that's what I first thought; never felt the clutch was especially hard to pull in. But as the technology becomes more common and cheaper to manufacture, now I see as it makes great sense. The very light clutch pull reduces rider fatigue and aids precision, and of course the slipper feature is just a good safety item. It IS hard to get used to the ultralight feel at first. It's like ABS and traction control, in due course of time all bikes will have these "new" features. Thanks, Randy B!kmoney_imp said:They're cool for sport bikes, but if I had to ask for one feature to be added to a CB this wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Seems like kind of an odd addition to the bike.
That wasn't the point of my post though. It will, for the first time, be incorporated on the CB1100 starting with the 2017 model year.Randy B_imp said:That wasn't the point of my post though. It will, for the first time, be incorporated on the CB1100 starting with the 2017 model year.rusty1_imp said:Great video, But Honda started to use slipper clutch's on production motorcycles back in the early 80's on the v-four motors [and some other motors] and have used them off and on since. 36years ago!
I didn't know what a slipper clutch was or what it was meant to do so when I came upon this video I figured I would post it to inform those like myself that didn't know about them.