Video on what a slipper clutch is

Randy B_imp said:
I just ran across this and since the 2017 is equipped with one I figured I'd toss it up for those that don't know what it is.


Cannot find the link to the video.
Can you please repost it again
Thanks
 
I wonder if the new clutch assembly would retrofit without modification into previous models. Although slight, I can feel a difference in the pull of the already light lever. Someone with a hand problem may benefit possibly. (like me
 
Don't know. Popgun is the parts guru- he could probably compare the fiche to see if the surrounding bits look the same. And then off course- the cost of the parts is a big factor.
 
slipper clutch is what you need coming into turn 10A at Rd Atlanta, from 175 mph. not sure what it's use would be for street riding.
 
I was hoping Marvincon would do that himself, PowerDubs :) I'll look at the drawings though. Having a '17 service manual would most likely help too.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I was hoping Marvincon would do that himself, PowerDubs :) I'll look at the drawings though. Having a '17 service manual would most likely help too.
I was comparing the two drawings a few weeks ago, I should have said.
 
jimgl3_imp said:
slipper clutch is what you need coming into turn 10A at Rd Atlanta, from 175 mph. not sure what it's use would be for street riding.
They're popular with street riders who ride on the street like it's Road Atlanta. :D
 
Ok, so in comparison we can reuse some of our existing parts- but several more will need to be purchased.

On the 2017 page-

4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
22

for a total of $274.76- use the 10% off coupon and you can have a slipper clutch for $247.28 and a Saturday afternoon for install.

I guess my question is- has anyone rode a bike with a slipper clutch? How effective is it?

Does it take a situation that would normally have complete rear tire lock up to function or will it lessen the blow when I am a little too aggressive with downshifting and my wife bangs my head? ;P
 
Flynrider_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
slipper clutch is what you need coming into turn 10A at Rd Atlanta, from 175 mph. not sure what it's use would be for street riding.
They're popular with street riders who ride on the street like it's Road Atlanta. :D
They're popular with street riders who ride on the street like it's Road Atlanta. :D
yep. that's what i'm afraid of! :biker:
 
The new CB clutch is actually the "slip and grip" type as discussed later in the video. So the main advantage is that it gives a more positive clutch engagement along with a lighter lever pull. The clutch plate clamping force increases as power is increased, so lighter clutch springs can be used.
 
I'm half tempted to buy these parts and try it. I am a mechanical junkie and love wrenching on new untried projects.

I have zero need for the function- even though I have locked up a rear tire on a downshift before in my many decades of bike riding - dirt and street.

Anybody else curious and want to chip in a couple bucks to see what happens? I'll make a youtube video if we get enough interest. :)
 
Back
Top