Victory Motorcycle to Wind Down Production

Thread starter
CA I think the GSXR 250 uses the pre existing GW 250 motor
 
Stichill_imp said:
The cool Millennial two-wheeled gearheads (and I'm not talking about plaid-wearing, coffee-sipping PNW hipsters, I'm talking about tattoo'd counter-culture types) are into retro choppers and bobbers, as seen here in this video of the Kentucky Kickdown in Louisville. If you've never been, it's a lot of fun and there are restored / original Japanese bikes in the show as well.





Ironically Stichill, here in the PNW, a good percentage of the plaid wearing coffee-sipping hipsters are really into wrenching on, riding and racing vintage bikes. Check out some of of these links and it's not hard to figure out that these guys are very much into motorcycles, just in their own way. This is one reason I'll never find a good deal on an unmolested 1970 CB350 like my dad used to own. Finding one that hasn't been modified is hard enough and if I did, it sure won't be selling for for anything near a reasonable price, lol.

[url=http://the1moto.com/]The One Moto Show
I've been to this show a number of times, it's amazing how much it has grown. I believe they've branched out to other cities with this show as well, Austin maybe?

[url=https://www.seeseemotorcycles.com/]See See Motor Coffee Company
The guy who started See See is the the same guy that put together The One Show. The coffee shop makes for a good meeting spot with other forum members who are passing through town. [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/posts/824063/]I've posted about this place in the past.

[url=http://sang-froidridingclub.com/]Sang-Froid Riding Club

I could find plenty of others, but the point is that there are plenty of young folks around here that are into bikes and when it comes to the coffee-sipping, plaid wearing hipsters in this city, vintage motorcycles are seemingly where it's at. That's fine by me.

What does all of this have to do with this thread? Well, I can't see too many of these guys flocking into Victory showrooms over the past few years. I'll run into these guys at the local dealer parts counters but not so much out on the showroom floor.

Hey, I still think that Indian should do some sort of a street tracker bike, Harley too for that matter, lol.
 
Most young people can't afford large capacity motorcycles, even if they were allowed to ride them. When the CB1100 was released in Australia in 2010 it retailed for AU$15,000. You could buy a good second-hand car for that and maybe three good second-hand bikes.

The young riders I know who work their way up to buying litre bikes (because they're riding tragics) very often buy good used ones so they can afford it.
 
If it sells a life style with it then millennials will buy it. They will buy Ducati Scrambler, Triumph street twin and triple and the HD iron or a sports bike because they can all fit some type of image. They are the same ones that will go out and get the same exact hair cut as all their friends, wear the same exact clothes and so on. They are followers. Not that their is anything wrong with that. I get it and I like a lot of those more affordable entry level bikes. Yamaha hit it off with their FZ 09 because it's a budget naked sport triple. Victory had absolutely no corner on this market. They tried with the octain but it's too close to the Indian scout so people rather have the Indian name so they can buy the cool t shirts and jackets and so on. Marketing is everything.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Guth_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
The cool Millennial two-wheeled gearheads (and I'm not talking about plaid-wearing, coffee-sipping PNW hipsters, I'm talking about tattoo'd counter-culture types) are into retro choppers and bobbers, as seen here in this video of the Kentucky Kickdown in Louisville. If you've never been, it's a lot of fun and there are restored / original Japanese bikes in the show as well.





Ironically Stichill, here in the PNW, a good percentage of the plaid wearing coffee-sipping hipsters are really into wrenching on, riding and racing vintage bikes. Check out some of of these links and it's not hard to figure out that these guys are very much into motorcycles, just in their own way. This is one reason I'll never find a good deal on an unmolested 1970 CB350 like my dad used to own. Finding one that hasn't been modified is hard enough and if I did, it sure won't be selling for for anything near a reasonable price, lol.

[url=http://the1moto.com/]The One Moto Show
I've been to this show a number of times, it's amazing how much it has grown. I believe they've branched out to other cities with this show as well, Austin maybe?

[url=https://www.seeseemotorcycles.com/]See See Motor Coffee Company
The guy who started See See is the the same guy that put together The One Show. The coffee shop makes for a good meeting spot with other forum members who are passing through town. [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/posts/824063/]I've posted about this place in the past.

[url=http://sang-froidridingclub.com/]Sang-Froid Riding Club

I could find plenty of others, but the point is that there are plenty of young folks around here that are into bikes and when it comes to the coffee-sipping, plaid wearing hipsters in this city, vintage motorcycles are seemingly where it's at. That's fine by me.

What does all of this have to do with this thread? Well, I can't see too many of these guys flocking into Victory showrooms over the past few years. I'll run into these guys at the local dealer parts counters but not so much out on the showroom floor.

Hey, I still think that Indian should do some sort of a street tracker bike, Harley too for that matter, lol.

Well that's good to know. :thumbsup: The common theme is individuality and rejection of pre-packaged coolness. They still want to be cool, they just want to do it their own way.

I saw a hilarious parody video about The One Moto Show:




Guth_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Ironically Stichill, here in the PNW, a good percentage of the plaid wearing coffee-sipping hipsters are really into wrenching on, riding and racing vintage bikes. Check out some of of these links and it's not hard to figure out that these guys are very much into motorcycles, just in their own way. This is one reason I'll never find a good deal on an unmolested 1970 CB350 like my dad used to own. Finding one that hasn't been modified is hard enough and if I did, it sure won't be selling for for anything near a reasonable price, lol.

[url=http://the1moto.com/]The One Moto Show
I've been to this show a number of times, it's amazing how much it has grown. I believe they've branched out to other cities with this show as well, Austin maybe?

[url=https://www.seeseemotorcycles.com/]See See Motor Coffee Company
The guy who started See See is the the same guy that put together The One Show. The coffee shop makes for a good meeting spot with other forum members who are passing through town. [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/posts/824063/]I've posted about this place in the past.

[url=http://sang-froidridingclub.com/]Sang-Froid Riding Club

I could find plenty of others, but the point is that there are plenty of young folks around here that are into bikes and when it comes to the coffee-sipping, plaid wearing hipsters in this city, vintage motorcycles are seemingly where it's at. That's fine by me.

What does all of this have to do with this thread? Well, I can't see too many of these guys flocking into Victory showrooms over the past few years. I'll run into these guys at the local dealer parts counters but not so much out on the showroom floor.

Hey, I still think that Indian should do some sort of a street tracker bike, Harley too for that matter, lol.
They definitely aren't into the lumberjack arts! Dinty Moore had a field day with a bunch of 'em (yeah OK they're actors but still pretty humorous).





 
Guth_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
The cool Millennial two-wheeled gearheads (and I'm not talking about plaid-wearing, coffee-sipping PNW hipsters, I'm talking about tattoo'd counter-culture types) are into retro choppers and bobbers, as seen here in this video of the Kentucky Kickdown in Louisville. If you've never been, it's a lot of fun and there are restored / original Japanese bikes in the show as well.





Ironically Stichill, here in the PNW, a good percentage of the plaid wearing coffee-sipping hipsters are really into wrenching on, riding and racing vintage bikes. Check out some of of these links and it's not hard to figure out that these guys are very much into motorcycles, just in their own way. This is one reason I'll never find a good deal on an unmolested 1970 CB350 like my dad used to own. Finding one that hasn't been modified is hard enough and if I did, it sure won't be selling for for anything near a reasonable price, lol.

[url=http://the1moto.com/]The One Moto Show
I've been to this show a number of times, it's amazing how much it has grown. I believe they've branched out to other cities with this show as well, Austin maybe?

[url=https://www.seeseemotorcycles.com/]See See Motor Coffee Company
The guy who started See See is the the same guy that put together The One Show. The coffee shop makes for a good meeting spot with other forum members who are passing through town. [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/posts/824063/]I've posted about this place in the past.

[url=http://sang-froidridingclub.com/]Sang-Froid Riding Club

I could find plenty of others, but the point is that there are plenty of young folks around here that are into bikes and when it comes to the coffee-sipping, plaid wearing hipsters in this city, vintage motorcycles are seemingly where it's at. That's fine by me.

What does all of this have to do with this thread? Well, I can't see too many of these guys flocking into Victory showrooms over the past few years. I'll run into these guys at the local dealer parts counters but not so much out on the showroom floor.

Hey, I still think that Indian should do some sort of a street tracker bike, Harley too for that matter, lol.

That's for sure. My sister used to live in Portland and the first thing I noticed when I visited was the unusual number of classic bikes on the streets. I was amazed. I always figured the CB1100 was a natural fit there.
 
I have to admit that I did buy a hipster retro type motorcycle jacket that is going to make me instant cool. It's a Roland Sands Cassidy jacket which I got on a close out sale. I'm not going to go out and buy skinny jeans, and red flannel and lace up brown leather boots with the jeans rolled up and grow a beard though. Lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Those videos are hilarious
 
"So, you know, I usually use grinders, 'cause they make a lot of sparks ... the sparks make it look legit; like I'm actually doing something, like ..."
 
Cormanus_imp said:
"So, you know, I usually use grinders, 'cause they make a lot of sparks ... the sparks make it look legit; like I'm actually doing something, like ..."
Great stuff. Great humor always has a basis in truth...when you listen to these "work shop" shows that are "creative" that's how they actually talk, ha ha!
 
Riko_imp said:

lol, being from Europe, I do wonder where you got that 50/50 ratio?

Here motorcyclists make 6,5% of the total road users..
Of course, but I did not say 50% of road users are motorcyclists, I said that 50% of motorcycle rides/kilometers are for transportation (as opposed to "recreation"). Where I'm from in Europe, nearly everybody that owns a motorcycle uses it to - weather permitting - get to work and around town for whatever purpose people drive around town (for shopping, social contacts..).

As long as North American motorcycle market remains the way it is now (90%+ "expensive toys", with zero utilitarian value) it will keep deteriorating.

However, HD and dwarfs are hoping that they can keep the wolf from the door by appealing only to those that buy expensive toys. (cf., Motus). They are afraid to start promoting motorcycle as transportation device, because in that market segment they face what they believe to be unbeatable competition from the imports - mostly Japanese. They are not interested what happens in the long run, perhaps because they subscribe to the old "in the long run we are all dead" piece of wisdom.

Well, Victory is dead already, Indian is sure to follow, Motus will never sell enough of $40k Honda VFR1200 home-built replicas to be viable. Anybody else? (I didn't thing so...)

Can HD survive as the last Mohican in such toxic climate?

Future will tell.
 
A) Indian is far from "sure to follow"
B) It is highly unlikely that that the US market will move appreciably toward "transportation" from "recreation". Motorcycles are actually incredibly impractical vehicles for most Americans. Urban Americans and single Americans may find some practicality in two-wheeled transportation, but weather, distance, fuel economy, hauling capacity, and a variety of other factors make a motorcycle a poor vehicle for transportation as defined above.
C) The recreational market here has not, as some have stated, dried up. While I will assume that it is true that Millennials have not been gravitating to motorcycles, they may in the future like so many of us Boomers did once our kids were raised. Also, I think I read that dirt biking is becoming more popular with younger riders and many of them may become street riders down the road.
D) There are very few bikes in the price range of the Motus and almost none that could be described as sport-touring bikes. Motorcycles are largely a "luxury" item in the US, but that doesn't mean that Americans are willing (or able) to spend $35,000 on a bike; that's the wrong definition of 'luxury'--bikes are a luxury to most Americans because they are not a necessity in their lives (yes, I am aware that most of you will now correct my definition of "necessity", but I hope you understand what I mean).

I have no idea where the US motorcycle market is headed. I do wish that there was a US maker of sport-touring bikes, but I can easily enjoy the foreign-born choices I have here.
 
rotor_imp said:
Riko_imp said:

lol, being from Europe, I do wonder where you got that 50/50 ratio?

Here motorcyclists make 6,5% of the total road users..
Of course, but I did not say 50% of road users are motorcyclists, I said that 50% of motorcycle rides/kilometers are for transportation (as opposed to "recreation"). Where I'm from in Europe, nearly everybody that owns a motorcycle uses it to - weather permitting - get to work and around town for whatever purpose people drive around town (for shopping, social contacts..).

As long as North American motorcycle market remains the way it is now (90%+ "expensive toys", with zero utilitarian value) it will keep deteriorating.

However, HD and dwarfs are hoping that they can keep the wolf from the door by appealing only to those that buy expensive toys. (cf., Motus). They are afraid to start promoting motorcycle as transportation device, because in that market segment they face what they believe to be unbeatable competition from the imports - mostly Japanese. They are not interested what happens in the long run, perhaps because they subscribe to the old "in the long run we are all dead" piece of wisdom.

Well, Victory is dead already, Indian is sure to follow, Motus will never sell enough of $40k Honda VFR1200 home-built replicas to be viable. Anybody else? (I didn't thing so...)

Can HD survive as the last Mohican in such toxic climate?

Future will tell.

I'm doing my part. I average about 14K miles per year on my two CBs and 3K miles per year in my truck. Of course, it helps to live in the desert where rain is a rare event. Having a high tolerance for heat also helps.

I only take 4 wheels when I need to carry large items, other people, or on those rare occasions that it's raining.
 
(Open letter from Motus Motorcycles)

The Victory and Pontiac Effect

"This Motus rides like a dream, but will they be around in 5 years?"

We hear that a lot. And, it's a fair question. Customers buying a Victory in 2016 or a Pontiac in 2007 probably didn't consider their purchase risky from those brands. But, why not?

As entrepreneurs/patriots/motorcycle nuts, we are saddened by the demise of Victory Motorcycles, but not surprised. Polaris is an incredible American company making the best business decisions for shareholders, as they should. Maybe similar to decisions General Motors made with Pontiac.

Conceived in Polaris' boardrooms to grab some of the (then growing) v-twin market, Victory remained target fixated as demand for heavy cruisers shrank by half. At the same time, the European brands grew like wildfire by offering appealing bikes in other segments- and there was no American competition. While Victory marketing showed intriguing sportbike concepts under the fuzzy brand promise of an "inextinguishable passion for American performance", Victory dealers only offered 800 pound/90hp cruisers.

So, what does this have to do with Motus? The Motus customer seeks a comfortable American sportbike and values attention to detail, premium quality, and character. For riders with a Motus already in their garage, the test ride sealed the deal. As long as Motus remains laser focused on providing an incredible customer experience, we will continue to grow and launch additional models in segments that complement our brand promise.

With Victory gone, some great motorcycle dealers are starting to look for alternative lines to represent. We hope that Motus - with our V4-powered, comfortable American sportbikes - will be a good fit for them and their customers.

Motorcyclists gladly accept more risk than "regular" people as we pursue the magic that is only experienced on two wheels. Every week, riders join the growing Motus family and we are deeply grateful they share our vision.

-Brian Case and Lee Conn
January 16, 2017

More here: http://motusmotorcycles.com/blog/
 
Pickups and SUVs are luxuries for most people. Get a used Civic and save a lot of money. Heck, having a second vehicle of any kind was a luxury for my family until the kids got into school. Then it became a necessity. So I dunno about motorcycles. On the mornings I commute by motorcycle, I have a better attitude about the day. That translates into me being more patient with my students. When I ride home, I arrive ready to engage with my kids and my wife. I don't need extra time to decompress. If I had to commute in a Civic, I'm convinced I would be a worse teacher, father, and husband. So yeah, my bike's a necessity ;)
 
Back
Top