Elegant justification, Roper. The riding-a-bike-makes-me-a-better-person thesis. It's true, I'm sure.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Flynrider_imp said:rotor_imp said:Riko_imp said:rotor_imp said:
lol, being from Europe, I do wonder where you got that 50/50 ratio?
Here motorcyclists make 6,5% of the total road users..
lol, being from Europe, I do wonder where you got that 50/50 ratio?
Here motorcyclists make 6,5% of the total road users..
Of course, but I did not say 50% of road users are motorcyclists, I said that 50% of motorcycle rides/kilometers are for transportation (as opposed to "recreation"). Where I'm from in Europe, nearly everybody that owns a motorcycle uses it to - weather permitting - get to work and around town for whatever purpose people drive around town (for shopping, social contacts..).
As long as North American motorcycle market remains the way it is now (90%+ "expensive toys", with zero utilitarian value) it will keep deteriorating.
However, HD and dwarfs are hoping that they can keep the wolf from the door by appealing only to those that buy expensive toys. (cf., Motus). They are afraid to start promoting motorcycle as transportation device, because in that market segment they face what they believe to be unbeatable competition from the imports - mostly Japanese. They are not interested what happens in the long run, perhaps because they subscribe to the old "in the long run we are all dead" piece of wisdom.
Well, Victory is dead already, Indian is sure to follow, Motus will never sell enough of $40k Honda VFR1200 home-built replicas to be viable. Anybody else? (I didn't thing so...)
Can HD survive as the last Mohican in such toxic climate?
Future will tell.
I'm doing my part. I average about 14K miles per year on my two CBs and 3K miles per year in my truck. Of course, it helps to live in the desert where rain is a rare event. Having a high tolerance for heat also helps.
I only take 4 wheels when I need to carry large items, other people, or on those rare occasions that it's raining.
I just read a story that people who swear a lot are more honest and trustworthy. Apparently people who guard their language are more secretive and deceptive. But :huh:Cormanus_imp said:I'm a bit worried this thread might be running out of steam. Conveniently, perhaps, earlier today I was sent this splendidly articulate rant about Why People Hate Harleys.
With commentators like this, it's hard to understand why more people don't love bikers.
Anyway, without further ado other than a warning that there's some colourful language, please make welcome Shade Tree Surgeon ...
Sounds f'n right to me.Stichill_imp said:I just read a story that people who swear a lot are more honest and trustworthy. Apparently people who guard their language are more secretive and deceptive. But :huh:Cormanus_imp said:I'm a bit worried this thread might be running out of steam. Conveniently, perhaps, earlier today I was sent this splendidly articulate rant about Why People Hate Harleys.
With commentators like this, it's hard to understand why more people don't love bikers.
Anyway, without further ado other than a warning that there's some colourful language, please make welcome Shade Tree Surgeon ...
I liked his point that anybody on any motorcycle is automatically cool and a good thing. We need more of us!
He actually rides a Triumph, if I'm not mistaken. The H-D he is riding and talking about is owned by a friend of his.LongRanger_imp said:Oh brother.
Not sure why this guy feels compelled to defend his choice of motorcycles on a video, but his language puts him in dirtbag status in my book. Whatever. Actually, I feel bad for him -- I didn't see a single curve along his route, except for one right turn at a traffic light and the turn into the parking lot. If those were the only roads available to me, honestly, I wouldn't even bother.