Vibration

Brad14_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi everyone I’ve just done around 300miles on a new CB1100RSVand it vibrates quite a lot compared to mt CB1100EX from a few years back. Are there any trucks or remedies people have used to overcome wierd vibrations? Theyapoear at 2500 and 4000rpm are worse when its hot.
This bike vibrates like dog compared to my Suzuki GSXS1000 I’m sure its outa wack somewhere..
 
That's one of those things the dealer will say, "it's normal." because it's easier for them that way.

Does it vibrate when sitting still? Strangely enough, one thing that can make an engine feel buzzy is a too-tight drive chain, but that only occurs when moving.

I wonder if it has some stale petrol, a loose spark plug wire, a slightly clogged injector, or another like issue. I'd be very surprised if the engine was out of balance internally.
 
Thread starter
Yes I doubt the dealer ill have much to say or do about it. I wondered if its common? Seems to get worse when hot...begininng to think its to do with how lean it is?
 
Is the RS equally tuned & geared? I know the STD/DXL/LX is one of the smoothest bikes in it's stock form, wonder if any changes to the way the engine runs from the factory would take away from that on the RS
 
Thread starter
The sprockets are the same as the EX but the gearing changes due to the switch from 18 to 17 inch tyres. The handlebars are different too, other than that its the same I think.
 
Thread starter
This vibration is p'ing me off now almost to the point of getting rid of it. I can’t believe the silky smooth bike I had before can differ so much to this one:@:@:@:@
 
Others have solved this by stuffing the headlight bucket and making sure all the bolts in that vicinity(and that of the tach) are torqued properly and sometimes even dampened with rubber washers. Also a change of bars and/or bar weighs might help?

Keeping the revs down would also help, but then you'd have to change sprockets and that's something you have to decide on beforehand...
 
Thread starter
Thanks I’m going to loosen of all engine bolts and exhaust hangers tomorrow. At 4000rpm on the stand its buzzing like mad so not even moving!
I’ll move onto your suggested mods after that.
Whats the score with the balance shaft will adjusting that help?
 
I think 4-5 thou is the vibe zone on most I-4s. Does yours vibrate below and above that zone as well?
 
Thread starter
Heavy from 2.5 up I have a GSXS1000 thats smoother and thats race based engine shouldn’t be smoother,plus my EX didn’t do either...
 
Brad14_imp said:
Heavy from 2.5 up I have a GSXS1000 thats smoother and thats race based engine shouldn’t be smoother,plus my EX didn’t do either...
Very odd. I haven't heard that from anyone else. I hope you get it sorted.
 
Thread starter
Update time so I’ve yet to get it back for it’s first service and I’ve gone in search of bandaids...
1. Tried. PCV this made it smoother especially up in the 4k region where I added extra fuel, but still not silky smooth, but definitely better.
2. I’ve bought 3 different type of Pro Grips 714, 724, 737. I backed the bolts securing the rubber mounted handle bars,still tight but not mega. 714 were big for my hands but vibration dropped significantly. Change to the 724 achieved Almost the same look slightly better too.
3. Fitted bar end mirrors two reasons one I think they look cool two extra weight..now I have these fitted to the Suzuki but they don’t use the Suzuki rubber mounting system so I’ve had my bar ends turned down a smidge to slide them on. Now the vibration at 4000rpm is virtually gone at the bars but obviously you can still feel it through the seat and footrests.
I’m goingnin for the service next week I’m hoping new oil being thicker? Will help things along as its now really smooth when I first start riding but just pucks up vibes higher up the rpm range As it gets hot....I think a seat of 2017 up EX will cure the next tickle unless anyone can recommend a seat mod, the foam on this RS in hard...
 
Back
Top