Van asked me to have a word with you fine gentlemen.

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
b2c1f0279a9f2c48bb89081dbfeb1936.jpg


Hello. My name is Monica Bellucci. According to the press, I'm an "Italian actress/model." Mio Dio, I loathe that description. Yes, I'm Italian, and also an actress, but I am not a model, capice?

Oh, whatever.

Anyway, Van invited me here to talk a bit about myself, as he put it. He's a nice enough guy and all, but I have to say, he's a bit loopy. See, apparently there's this Honda motorcycle called a CB1100 EX, and Van says it reminds him of me. A lot. A whole lot. As in, it's rather disturbing, just how much this motorcycle reminds him of me. I try to tell him, "Van, how can that motorcycle be me, and I, it? That beautiful lady is certainly dressed in red, but she is not Italian. When you caress her just so, she does not respond with the seductive purr of bella Tuscany; rather, she has a certain Asiatic allure, which is wonderful in its own right, but it's more saki than chianti, don't you see?"

Always, he dismisses my gentle remonstrations with a knowing grin. "It's not about birth certificates, or colors on a flag," he tells me. "It's about who you are...what you are. In any language, born of any nation, this bike is you."

He is convinced. He is immovable.

He is also so sweet about it, so flattering, that I'm willing to play along. What he's asked me to do is to describe the 2017 CB1100 EX to you, from a first-person perspective.

Interesting. If I come across as vain, please forgive me, for such is not my intent.

I came into Van's possession by happenstance, as it were. Apparently Van tried to purchase me months ago from his local dealer, only to prove unable to come to agreeable terms with said local dealer. Now that it is the dead of winter, and I continued to sit languishing on that dealer's showroom floor, unloved, barely noticed—the notion of which Van simply cannot abide, where I am concerned—he attempted yet again yesterday to come to terms with his local dealer, and was again rebuffed.

Undaunted, and dogged in his determination to bring me home, he went on the internet and looked up every 'Monica' within driving distance from his home in northern California.

Here, I should add that his faithfulness was sorely tested, as a certain winsome geisha by the name of 'Ninja 1000" nearly lured him away from me yesterday. Following his second unsuccessful attempt at purchasing me from his local Honda dealer, he promptly struck a deal with his local Kawasaki dealership, pending the successful outcome of a test ride. There was something about a windshield, and noisy turbulence, he said. He wouldn't purchase that bike without a test ride; true heart that he is, however, he decided to forego the test ride and walk away from the comely Asian temptress, back into my arms.

Upon arriving home from the Kawasaki dealership, he called a Honda dealership located an hour and a half away, and was able to complete the very same deal that his local dealership would not accept.

Today, he came to Concord and picked me up.

Fair disclosure: In my former life I was, unfortunately, a fashion model. Yes, I know, I know. There is no need to remind me, nor to disparage me. I am not proud of that period of my life, but a girl had to do what a girl had to do, no?

Well, one thing I still carry within me from those days is the desire to appear fashionably chic and properly haute couture when I'm out and about in public. As such, I loathe getting my hair wet, after spending countless hours doing my hair, makeup, and clothes in an effort to have everything look just right. One never knows when the paparazzi may be lurking, cameras at the ready.

So, imagine my chagrin upon learning that Van chose a day of frogs and locusts rains to come rescue me from bondage. All my primping for him, for all of you, a certainty to go to waste! Soaked to the bone, I was sure to look like a common ragamuffin!

Van didn't seem to mind. Oh, sure, he cursed the foul weather, grousing just a bit about "not even getting one day with me" before he'd have to to clean me right up again, but that was the extent of his displeasure.

I must say, he does seem extremely happy with me, following our first tryst together.

I'm blushing now. Forgive me.

As soon as he thumbed my starter button and I began to purr for him, he grinned with satisfaction. "Yessss," he said. "You sound so much better than the '14 Standard. You feel so much sexier."

I was inclined to take offense at such a forward remark, especially since it was an admission of some fling or another he had obviously enjoyed with another woman, until he explained to me that those days were over for him, and he was merely stating the differences between myself and this other woman.

I'm sure she's a wonderful lady. (She's probably a shameless tart.)

But I digress...

So, he loves my sultry voice, and my warm pulse...my soothing heartbeat.

I'm glad.

As soon as he pulled in my clutch, dropped me into gear and headed out, he told me, "Ohhhh, yes, you handle exactly as I knew you would, wearing your new heels. Fabulous, babe!"

Apparently the '14 Standard version of me that he dated had very heavy steering, which he felt was almost certainly the result of squared-off tires that may have also been under-inflated. I steer and turn quite easily, he says, and dead neutrally as well, which, believe it or not, he deems a compliment!

"Dead neutral and easy," a compliment?

My sainted mother would be aghast over such talk. What has the world come to?

Similarly, after shifting me up and down many times, he said, "You're as slick as moose snot!"

Now how am I supposed to take that as anything but the most mortifying of degradations?

Nonetheless, he again assured me that he was paying me the most ardent, sincere compliment imaginable, explaining, "mickey will be thrilled, because your transmission is every bit as slick and and snick-snick-snick easy perfection as he says his is, and you shift a million times better than Eric's '14. His bike made audible 'clunks' when shifting. You? You're just like my XSR."

Again, with the comparisons to other women. How very gauche.

Oh well, American men never were particularly housebroken.

The hits keep coming, too. A bit further into our lovely ride together, he mentioned that I have none of the drive lash of Eric's bike, which, again, is a good thing?

I think it is. He seemed very happy about it, which must be a positive sign.

I do admit, men have often complimented me on my legs. In this regard, Van is no exception. On at least a few occasions, usually when taking me over sharp expansion joints, he was quick to note how smoothly my supple legs eased over those nasty bumps in the road. "Much plusher than the '14. Very nice," he cooed, with another knowing smirk. "Ulvetanna will love you," he added, which didn't sound very gentlemanly of him at all, I must say.

In fact, it sounded rather caddish. A gentleman should never kiss and tell, yet here he is, already planning on sharing me with his friends?

My mother must never hear of this. You must promise me this. These lurid tales must be kept safe within our little group here.

"You know what I love best about you," he said to me, when we were stopped at a red light. "It's all the little details...the things that don't show up on a spec sheet."

"Like what, baby?" I purred, as he gratuitously blipped my throttle. Yes, I know, I seem to purr all my answers. What can I say? I'm built to please.

"Just so you know, I would never do that on the '14 model. With you, though, you just sound so good, and feel so awesome, I have to do it. Anyway, it's a million little things, like your switchgear. Eric was right, the turnsignals on my Yamaha are too small, and kinda flimsy. Your switchgear seems like it was built by Cartier, or Rolex. Everything is large, elegant, purposeful, and so very well engineered. Everything about you is built to last, even as it's all so effortless to use. Your mirrors are amazing. The only way they could be any better is if they somehow reflected the image of your gorgeous dash, or your sculpted perfection of a gas tank. Everywhere I look, I see another beautiful contour, another artisan's touch. The person who built you cared deeply about you. I can feel it in every surface, every smooth utterance. You sing and breathe with the warmth of the neck pickup of a really good ES-335."

I told him right then and there that he's a crackhead, and all he did was laugh.

"I'm just a girl, like any other," I added teasingly, and he blipped my throttle again in response.

"Sure you are, and a perfect sunset at Lahaina is just another ray of sunshine," he said, smacking my bottom and goosing me into action, as we jumped ahead of traffic.

Yes, I think he's a more than a bit smitten with me. :heart:

I pride myself on being a rather demure, respectable, classy woman, so imagine my surprise when he positively revved me up and made me race down the road like a wild banshee, yet that's what he did with me, all the while sniggering to me, "Sundials, my patootie. You accelerate like a champ, pretty lady."

Yes, I am aware that I'm known for being a rather smooth charmer, with precious little vibration to speak of under normal circumstances, but I was pleasantly surprised to see him notice and acknowledge my more passionate nature. Yes, I dearly love donning a formal gown and tripping the light fantastic at a swanky ballroom affair, but I am far from averse to throwing on a pair of yoga tights and a sports bra and getting after it during a hot and sweaty Crossfit session. In fact, don't kid yourself, people. Beneath these elegant curves and enchanting colors and textures, I remain a hot-blooded minx, through and through.

If you want to dance, just cue the band, and I'll boogie your pants off. Even the classiest girl still wants a bit of excitement, you know.

Make no mistake, however, and I'm under no illusions to the contrary; it's my looks that have brought me this far, and it's those same looks that have captured Van's heart. "You are the most beautiful thing out there," he tells me, with no reservations or qualifiers. "Even if you didn't work so amazingly well, I would still love you, but I sure am glad your beauty isn't merely skin deep."

At the conclusion of our first date, as he climbed off of me with a satisfied sigh, he let me know that this will not be a fleeting affair. He informed me he was so sure of his long-term devotion to me that he took the "absolutely unheard of, totally drastic" measure of signing me up for his first-ever extended warranty.

He told me, "Sometimes you just know, and this is one of those times. You're the one."

And you know what? I believe him.
 
Congratulations, Van. What a great day for you and beautifully decscribed. We look forward to more pictures when Monica’s cleaned up.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, I seem to have problems on this site with posting pictures stored on my computer. When I posted the picture of my XSR's dyno run here, I had to have my buddy log in on his computer and borrow my password so he could post it for me. In order for me to post pics of my bike, I bet he'll need to post them again for me.

Anyway, they're all just pictures taken at the dealership. I plan on making zero modifications to this bike, other than adding the factory heated grips, which I've already ordered up. There won't be much to show you guys, since you've all seen hundreds of pics of the stock '17 EX.
 
Interesting Veal Jay. How come you didn't have any trouble with the picture above? Most of us have resorted to a photo hosting site like Imgur as it is easy to link to the pictures and they seem to display with a problem.

By the way I think Monica's seamless tank are .. er is beautiful. I'd be interested to hear from her again about how she feels about being mounted by you.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, I have no difficulty posting pics here that I grabbed off the internet, such as the Bellucci pic. Pics that I transfer from my phone to my computer are a different matter. This site always seems to balk at accepting those stored pics. I haven't figured out how to make it work.
 
VLJ, they'll be too big, won't they? If the file size is more than 250 kb the site will reject them. Why, I hear you ask? 'Cause Guth pays for the storage. Up load your photos again to Imgur and then link to them from here in the same way you linked to Monica. It works once you know where to find the link. Imgur makes it easy by preparing it for you.
 
Congratulations VLJ (and welcome to the "rode it home in the wet on the very first ride" club)!

It's good to know that you've experienced the "snick, snick, snick" feel of the transmission and enjoyed lash free motoring on a CB1100. Just know that if this starts to change to more of a "chunk, chunk, chunk" with some noticeable drive lash over time, then chances are that all your CB needs is a minor chain adjustment (honestly, removing just 1/4" of play in the chain makes quite a noticeable difference in this regard).

If you want to post pictures as attachments using the forum server then there are size limitations in place (not the resolution or the dimensions of the image, but rather the file size). I believe that limit is 250 kilobytes. This is the problem that most people around here run into when trying to attach images. Photos as they come straight from a digital camera or a smartphone are far larger in size both in terms of resolution and the resulting image dimensions along with the file size (typically a few megabytes in size). If you've grabbed an image off of the web then chances are that somebody has already "re-sized" it. As someone pointed out here recently, devices like iPhones (as well as other smartphones I'm guessing) can do this for you when you want to send a photo on your phone via email.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
VLJ, they'll be too big, won't they? If the file size is more than 250 kb the site will reject them. Why, I hear you ask? 'Cause Guth pays for the storage. Up load your photos again to Imgur and then link to them from here in the same way you linked to Monica. It works once you know where to find the link. Imgur makes it easy by preparing it for you.
Since we are on topic here, what are your feelings about Peta Sergeant? An Aussie, y'know.

97d5a10ef4093ed0b3239fa7d07f7862.jpg
 
Am I afraid to admit I've never heard of her? Nah. But thanks for drawing her to my attention, Ulvetanna. I'll be on the lookout. VealJay's experience of what you can find at a Honda dealer has opened my eyes.
 
VLJ that was awesome I must say. Best introduction of a CB evar!

I also love how you are now telling ME how smooth, fast and ultimately rideable the CB 1100 is. Quite the turn of event since 2013 lol.

Think I will copy and send your intro to Jeremy in Texas lol

Oh and congrats and welcome to the club!
 
VLJ, congrats on your new girl. After all the rumination, I'd say many of us are probably shocked and awed by your decision to purchase, but perhaps now you've found the same passion we've been trying to share. Good job. Ulvetanna, you're next!
 
Thread starter
RockHop_imp said:
Italian model? Guess you bought a Ducati by mistake :rofl:
Monica Bellucci Wrote:See, apparently there's this Honda motorcycle called a CB1100 EX, and Van says it reminds him of me. A lot. A whole lot. As in, it's rather disturbing, just how much this motorcycle reminds him of me. I try to tell him, "Van, how can that motorcycle be me, and I, it? That beautiful lady is certainly dressed in red, but she is not Italian. When you caress her just so, she does not respond with the seductive purr of bella Tuscany; rather, she has a certain Asiatic allure, which is wonderful in its own right, but it's more saki than chianti, don't you see?"

Always, he dismisses my gentle remonstrations with a knowing grin. "It's not about birth certificates, or colors on a flag," he tells me. "It's about who you are...what you are. In any language, born of any nation, this bike is you."
Cormanus, my buddy had me reduce the size of my XSR dyno-run pic down to this site's accepted limit, and still the site wouldn't attach my link. He's a tech wizard, but couldn't explain why it wasn't working. So, instead, he had me send him the pic and my password, and posted it for me.

I'll probably have to do the same again, to post any cellphone pics of Monica.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Am I afraid to admit I've never heard of her? Nah. But thanks for drawing her to my attention, Ulvetanna. I'll be on the lookout. VealJay's experience of what you can find at a Honda dealer has opened my eyes.
Iron Sky, an Australian production, tons of Australian TV.

The movie was quite successful and a sequel is due out this year.

6a2eb8a18bf01946cd8a63be5051bbb3.jpg

"You will buy a CB1100 or ELSE!"
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Am I afraid to admit I've never heard of her? Nah. But thanks for drawing her to my attention, Ulvetanna. I'll be on the lookout. VealJay's experience of what you can find at a Honda dealer has opened my eyes.
Very good and proper Cormanus = it indicates that while you are riding, your eyes focus on the road, nowhere else ...lol...lol..:rofl::rofl:

pb
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, congrats on your new girl. After all the rumination, I'd say many of us are probably shocked and awed by your decision to purchase, but perhaps now you've found the same passion we've been trying to share. Good job. Ulvetanna, you're next!
As I've been trying to explain to everyone here, there is no reason to be shocked that I pulled the trigger on this one. I've wanted this bike ever since the first pictures were revealed, way back in 2013. (I don't recall whether I was aware of this bike before Honda announced they were bringing it here in 2013.) mickey knows how badly I wanted the 2014 Deluxe, in large part because it had the 4.6-gallon tank, ABS, red paint, and sixth gear.

I was ready to grab one back in 2014, but there was no indication from Honda that there would be a 2014 model, never mind the new Deluxe model. When the winter bike show here in America came and went with no news from Honda about a 2014 model, I finally gave up and bought the Street Triple R instead.

Immediately thereafter, the 2014 Standard and Deluxe models were announced during the Euro show.

I was gutted. I'd already bought the Triumph, and Honda didn't bring back the CB in 2015 or 2016.

When the 2017 EX was announced, and Honda said they were bringing it here, I knew I had to have one. The only caveat was that there was no way for me to test ride a CB, and with all the talk of how underpowered, heavy, and buzzy-at-certain-RPMs the CB is, especially compared to the bikes I've always ridden, I wasn't going to buy one without first answering my questions regarding the bike's power, buzziness, handling, and overall comfort.

That's where you and this site joined my journey, which likely would have remained static were it not for Eric stepping up out of nowhere to give me a test ride on his 2014 Standard. Minus that test ride, I probably never buy a CB1100. I had too many doubts. The desire was still there, strong as ever, but I couldn't pull the trigger on something so expensive, knowing I may not enjoy riding it.

The ride on Eric's bike answered my key questions about the bike. I wasn't overly concerned regarding the flaws I found. I became convinced that the heavy steering on his bike was simply a tires-related anomaly, and the drive lash and somewhat clunky tranny didn't concern me, either. I figured I could work those issues out, or simply get used to them, as they were not significant enough issues to be deal-breakers.

On the plus side, the positives I found during my test ride on Eric's bike far outweighed the negatives, which I thought I'd made clear in my post-ride review. Apparently I failed, as mickey and others here seemed to focus solely on the criticisms while discounting not only the praise I gave Eric's bike, but also the final summation, which was that I was finally down to just two options, the '17 EX or the Z900, and I knew the Z900 wasn't the same sort of long-term solution that the EX represents to me.

No one seemed to take me seriously when I described how important it was to me to try to slow down, and in order to do so the bike would have to remain compelling to me at reduced cornering speeds. I admitted that the XSR could of course be ridden more slowly, obviating the need for a slower, more relaxed bike, while explaining that I would never be happy riding the XSR more slowly. There are many better choices than the XSR for slower riding, the CB1100 EX being chief among them, at least to me.

Also, didn't I tell you guys that I already tried to buy the bike twice, a few months ago? Eric beat me by just two days to his '14 Standard. Shortly thereafter, I gave my local dealer a formal offer on his '17 EX. Had he accepted my offer, I would have ridden Monica home that same day.

I'd say these were pretty solid indications that I was serious about buying a CB1100.
 
VLJ_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, congrats on your new girl. After all the rumination, I'd say many of us are probably shocked and awed by your decision to purchase, but perhaps now you've found the same passion we've been trying to share. Good job. Ulvetanna, you're next!
As I've been trying to explain to everyone here, there is no reason to be shocked that I pulled the trigger on this one. I've wanted this bike ever since the first pictures were revealed, way back in 2013. (I don't recall whether I was aware of this bike before Honda announced they were bringing it here in 2013.) mickey knows how badly I wanted the 2014 Deluxe, in large part because it had the 4.6-gallon tank, ABS, red paint, and sixth gear.

I was ready to grab one back in 2014, but there was no indication from Honda that there would be a 2014 model, never mind the new Deluxe model. When the winter bike show here in America came and went with no news from Honda about a 2014 model, I finally gave up and bought the Street Triple R instead.

Immediately thereafter, the 2014 Standard and Deluxe models were announced during the Euro show.

I was gutted. I'd already bought the Triumph, and Honda didn't bring back the CB in 2015 or 2016.

When the 2017 EX was announced, and Honda said they were bringing it here, I knew I had to have one. The only caveat was that there was no way for me to test ride a CB, and with all the talk of how underpowered, heavy, and buzzy-at-certain-RPMs the CB is, especially compared to the bikes I've always ridden, I wasn't going to buy one without first answering my questions regarding the bike's power, buzziness, handling, and overall comfort.

That's where you and this site joined my journey, which likely would have remained static were it not for Eric stepping up out of nowhere to give me a test ride on his 2014 Standard. Minus that test ride, I probably never buy a CB1100. I had too many doubts. The desire was still there, strong as ever, but I couldn't pull the trigger on something so expensive, knowing I may not enjoy riding it.

The ride on Eric's bike answered my key questions about the bike. I wasn't overly concerned regarding the flaws I found. I became convinced that the heavy steering on his bike was simply a tires-related anomaly, and the drive lash and somewhat clunky tranny didn't concern me, either. I figured I could work those issues out, or simply get used to them, as they were not significant enough issues to be deal-breakers.

On the plus side, the positives I found during my test ride on Eric's bike far outweighed the negatives, which I thought I'd made clear in my post-ride review. Apparently I failed, as mickey and others here seemed to focus solely on the criticisms while discounting not only the praise I gave Eric's bike, but also the final summation, which was that I was finally down to just two options, the '17 EX or the Z900, and I knew the Z900 wasn't the same sort of long-term solution that the EX represents to me.

No one seemed to take me seriously when I described how important it was to me to try to slow down, and in order to do so the bike would have to remain compelling to me at reduced cornering speeds. I admitted that the XSR could of course be ridden more slowly, obviating the need for a slower, more relaxed bike, while explaining that I would never be happy riding the XSR more slowly. There are many better choices than the XSR for slower riding, the CB1100 EX being chief among them, at least to me.

Also, didn't I tell you guys that I already tried to buy the bike twice, a few months ago? Eric beat me by just two days to his '14 Standard. Shortly thereafter, I gave my local dealer a formal offer on his '17 EX. Had he accepted my offer, I would have ridden Monica home that same day.

I'd say these were pretty solid indications that I was serious about buying a CB1100.
As I've been trying to explain to everyone here, there is no reason to be shocked that I pulled the trigger on this one.

No one seemed to take me seriously when I described how important it was to me to try to slow down, and in order to do so the bike would have to remain compelling to me at reduced cornering speeds.
Lol, buddy.

I KNEW you would buy that bike. You see, I view the CB1100 as a heritage sportbike and believe, as you will soon learn, that the machine HANDLES. If you are any kind of rider at all (and I think you are very much so), you will soon be taking that bike to its limits and noticing that, especially on twisting roads where outright top speed is irrelevant, you are outdistancing many riders on much more praiseworthy spec-sheet bikes. Not all, mind you, but enough to give you a pretty good sense of satisfaction.

"You see that dude on that old man's bike? Guy was hauling a**!"

"Dude!? How the blasted, dadgum, consarned heck do you ride that aircraft carrier like that?"

Dude replies:

"It's all in the wrist."

And it is.

Now, if the economy hangs in there, I'll be looking at a new one for my own.

Looking greatly forward to the ride report.
 
Back
Top