Valve in muffler

I don't understand the question. That is not something that came to the states, but is on the AU and Japan market bikes for sure.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Randy - I guess it is some sort of emission control. If I put on an after market exhaust I might just have to disconnect it.It's a weird contraption - a flap opens and shuts at the tailpipe but I'm not too sure how it all works. I only picked up the bike today.
 
Welcome Garry! That valve is not present on U.S. models, but I recall a pretty detailed discussion on the forum.

I found it :

Interactive exhaust valve

Looks like at least one aftermarket exhaust manufacturer (Staintune) recommends removing the linkage if you install their can.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all your help. I intend to fit a Staintune so I'll speak to them about it . It's not really like an "exup" as they are fitted before the muffler. This thing is just a piece of thin metal that sits right at the end of the pipe.
 
Gary,

The flap/Valve comes on the CBR1000RR here in the US on 2008 up, i had to positioning the valve to fool the ECU into thinking it was still hook up. I'm sure any aftermarket exhaust will come with a full explanation of the process.

The valve stays shut and opens once it reaches a certain RPM.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Gary,

The flap/Valve comes on the CBR1000RR here in the US on 2008 up, i had to positioning the valve to fool the ECU into thinking it was still hook up. I'm sure any aftermarket exhaust will come with a full explanation of the process.

The valve stays shut and opens once it reaches a certain RPM.
On my CBR1000RR I just disconnected the cable. The servo still moved so the ECU was happy.

Some people want to save some weight so they use a "servo buddy".

My VFR1200F had the same cable setup as well.

 
Garry, Pterodactyl in Sydney has fitted a Staintune. He's been traveling but, when he gets back, I'm sure he can help with this question.
 
G`day
Exhaust system and Air Induction both have "flap valves" installed and are operated by a vacuum line from the Airbox to a Solenoid Valve located behind the RH side cover. The Solenoid Valve is easily identifiable as it gets in the way when you want to remove the Air Filter cover to inspect the Air Filter. I run my machine with a Staintune, the cable is disconnected from the servo which still operates on the signal from the ECU but does nothing. I have plans to fit a US/UK Air intake to my machine and remove the associated pipework and solenoid replacing the Solenoid with the requisite resistor buth have yet to get round to it.
The explanation from Red Mist in Interactive exhaust valve covers the subject quite well I thought.
Cheers
 
Back
Top