BackroadsRider_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
Have 9K on my 2013. Just curious how many if any had valves that needed adjustments on their first check? I'm about to have mine checked.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
. Still no sign for valve clearance adjustment. If it aint broke, why fix it 
BackroadsRider_imp said:Have 9K on my 2013. Just curious how many if any had valves that needed adjustments on their first check? I'm about to have mine checked.
You need a bit of room to get your hands under the tank ( wooden block ), then slide back the black rubber keeper away from the blue clip with the black tab, then you can press on the two "wings" on the blue clip to unlatch the black hose connector and slide the hose straight off the tank.use2b_imp said:thanks Max for the high res photo's . i also could not get the fuel connector loose and gave up , turning the tank sideways on the frame with rags under it while installing my air horn .
so how does that thing come apart ?
and regret to say: my car has 240 K (shims) and CB 53 K and has never done any valve clearance check:huh: = do NOT copy this habit...Call it wishful thinking, but I’m anticipating everything to be in spec. This bike was broken in properly, always had Honda oil in it, and not ran TOO hard. I will admit that I have started playing around in the 4000-7000 rpm range more often, but I don’t believe I have ever redlined. All that being said, it would be good peace of mind to know for sure. And I’ve been hyper acute lately to the sound of the valves. It seems like they’re a bit noisier than before but I’m like 99% sure it’s just because I’m listening for it and being paranoid.SportsterDoc_imp said:To only check, most of the work is getting to the point of removing the valve covers.
Using a feeler gauge, checking with each valve closed, is not at all difficult.
It is easy to simply eyeball the cam position, to know that the gap is maximum, when measured.
If adjustment is needed, then it gets more tedious.
Checking valves on all my recent bikes found every single valve within tolerance.
The were properly run-in, quality oil used and not abused.
From what I have gleaned from this forum, checking at 8,000 seems earlier than likely needed.
Very much so.dbarkdoll_imp said:Really? Are they louder than the valves?
That is what my Honda mechanic said as well !PowerDubs_imp said:At only 8k miles you have a much greater chance of causing a problem by checking the clearances than you do by just leaving well enough alone.