Houtman_imp
Road warrior
MVK24 , if you put a sign in your bar "free beer tomorrow " they will come every day.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Haha, I will be expecting you then!Houtman_imp said:MVK24 , if you put a sign in your bar "free beer tomorrow " they will come every day.
The shim charts look busy to start with but then when you have a good look they are actually very straightforward. You just mark your valve clearance as measured Vs the shim size already in place and where they intersect on the table is you new shim size or the note to say in range.mvk24_imp said:Decided im gonna do the valves adjustment on my
- 1981 kz440 LTd first (screw and lock nut)
- Then 1 of my 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Secas second (25mm shim and bucket)
- And then ill check the honda.
Watched a few videos and its easy enough. The hard part will be reading the Valve shim chart.
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
The shim charts look busy to start with but then when you have a good look they are actually very straightforward. You just mark your valve clearance as measured Vs the shim size already in place and where they intersect on the table is you new shim size or the note to say in range.Tev62_imp said:The shim charts look busy to start with but then when you have a good look they are actually very straightforward. You just mark your valve clearance as measured Vs the shim size already in place and where they intersect on the table is you new shim size or the note to say in range.mvk24_imp said:Decided im gonna do the valves adjustment on my
- 1981 kz440 LTd first (screw and lock nut)
- Then 1 of my 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Secas second (25mm shim and bucket)
- And then ill check the honda.
Watched a few videos and its easy enough. The hard part will be reading the Valve shim chart.
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Here is me selecting shims from a table for my 1995 Daytona after measuring the gaps and the existing shims.
Luckily I can remove the shims without taking the camshaft off as it is shim over bucket. If you have a box of shims to hand it will save a lot of effort as you can change them as you measure them. In my case I didn't so I had to put the old shim back in and order up the correct shims.
That, ... is so sad.Gone in 60_imp said:"Some dealers used to be nice to customers and do free shim swaps but that practice seems to of faded somewhat."
Yup. When I did my Bonneville a while back, I called the two local dealers to ask about swapping shims.
One of them answered with "What's a shim?"
I guess I didnt catch up after seeing you were trying to source custom cams. Didn't realize you got them!PowerDubs_imp said:The ZRX forum has a box of shims that travel from user to user...
I bought a kit when I installed my custom cams- but then discovered that the factory Honda shims come in half sizes compared to the kit.
Regardless, even if it didn't- I would have still needed to order shims.. so if I ever adjust again- I will just disassemble, measure, order, reassemble.
Thought I was saving time- and I was just wasting $.
cj599_imp said:i have a hot cams kit for the 599 i bet their the same as the 1100 most honda shims are the same
PowerDubs_imp said:cj599_imp said:i have a hot cams kit for the 599 i bet their the same as the 1100 most honda shims are the same
The kit I used was Hotcams as well. Don't bother...as I mentioned above the factory Honda shims come in sizes half of what the Hotcam kit has- so they are much more accurate.
By the time I ended up buying what I needed that wasn't in the kit- I spent more time and money than if I just measured and ordered what I needed piece meal.
I used to have a 440 LTD belt drive. Valves were super easy as they are simple tappets. I haven’t worked with the shim over bucket yet but I am confident I can figure it out eventually.mvk24_imp said:Decided im gonna do the valves adjustment on my
- 1981 kz440 LTd first (screw and lock nut)
- Then 1 of my 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Secas second (25mm shim and bucket)
- And then ill check the honda.
Watched a few videos and its easy enough. The hard part will be reading the Valve shim chart.
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk