valve adjustment

Decided im gonna do the valves adjustment on my
- 1981 kz440 LTd first (screw and lock nut)
- Then 1 of my 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Secas second (25mm shim and bucket)
- And then ill check the honda.

Watched a few videos and its easy enough. The hard part will be reading the Valve shim chart.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
Decided im gonna do the valves adjustment on my
- 1981 kz440 LTd first (screw and lock nut)
- Then 1 of my 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Secas second (25mm shim and bucket)
- And then ill check the honda.

Watched a few videos and its easy enough. The hard part will be reading the Valve shim chart.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
The shim charts look busy to start with but then when you have a good look they are actually very straightforward. You just mark your valve clearance as measured Vs the shim size already in place and where they intersect on the table is you new shim size or the note to say in range.

Here is me selecting shims from a table for my 1995 Daytona after measuring the gaps and the existing shims.

Luckily I can remove the shims without taking the camshaft off as it is shim over bucket. If you have a box of shims to hand it will save a lot of effort as you can change them as you measure them. In my case I didn't so I had to put the old shim back in and order up the correct shims.
 
Tev62_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Decided im gonna do the valves adjustment on my
- 1981 kz440 LTd first (screw and lock nut)
- Then 1 of my 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Secas second (25mm shim and bucket)
- And then ill check the honda.

Watched a few videos and its easy enough. The hard part will be reading the Valve shim chart.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
The shim charts look busy to start with but then when you have a good look they are actually very straightforward. You just mark your valve clearance as measured Vs the shim size already in place and where they intersect on the table is you new shim size or the note to say in range.

Here is me selecting shims from a table for my 1995 Daytona after measuring the gaps and the existing shims.

Luckily I can remove the shims without taking the camshaft off as it is shim over bucket. If you have a box of shims to hand it will save a lot of effort as you can change them as you measure them. In my case I didn't so I had to put the old shim back in and order up the correct shims.
The shim charts look busy to start with but then when you have a good look they are actually very straightforward. You just mark your valve clearance as measured Vs the shim size already in place and where they intersect on the table is you new shim size or the note to say in range.

Here is me selecting shims from a table for my 1995 Daytona after measuring the gaps and the existing shims.

Luckily I can remove the shims without taking the camshaft off as it is shim over bucket. If you have a box of shims to hand it will save a lot of effort as you can change them as you measure them. In my case I didn't so I had to put the old shim back in and order up the correct shims. Thanks you that clears it up for me, great video tutorial.

I was looking at shim kits but they seem to be pretty expensive.

What size shims do we have in the CB?

If we have the same 25mm size as my 2 yamahas then it might be worth ordered a kit.

The XJ forum has a shim pool and I believe its 1 of the moderators. They pitched in for a big kit of shims and whenever needed a member gets the shims they need from him and sends him back the one you didn't need anymore and it keeps the pool going round and round.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
I think the CB with shim under bucket will be the smaller size unfortunately. Some dealers used to be nice to customers and do free shim swaps but that practice seems to of faded somewhat. I had mis ordered one when I did mine and I put out an ABP for a shim with a bike group I belong too and ended up with several offers which was great. The shim boxes are pretty expensive as you say, I wasn't prepared to splash out that much for the convenience either but then I did have the time.
 
"Some dealers used to be nice to customers and do free shim swaps but that practice seems to of faded somewhat."

Yup. When I did my Bonneville a while back, I called the two local dealers to ask about swapping shims.
One of them answered with "What's a shim?"
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
"Some dealers used to be nice to customers and do free shim swaps but that practice seems to of faded somewhat."

Yup. When I did my Bonneville a while back, I called the two local dealers to ask about swapping shims.
One of them answered with "What's a shim?"
That, ... is so sad.
 
The ZRX forum has a box of shims that travel from user to user...

I bought a kit when I installed my custom cams- but then discovered that the factory Honda shims come in half sizes compared to the kit.

Regardless, even if it didn't- I would have still needed to order shims.. so if I ever adjust again- I will just disassemble, measure, order, reassemble.

Thought I was saving time- and I was just wasting $.
 
Call me cheap, but....

For those of you who have removed your valve covers for valve inspection, were you able to reuse the gasket without any leakage?

Might actually take a peek at mine since I'm bumping up on 8,000 miles. I dunno, might be good to have one in the box if needed, but...
 
Hi Gone, yes, you can re-use the rubber seal. More like O-ring than gasket. Be careful of the four little seals around the air injection passages. Those can be re-used too unless you lose them.

Ben
 
Sweet. Thank you sir.

If everything checks out, I can just button it back up. If anything needs adjusting, it will be down while I order shims, so I'd just order a gasket as well.

... or I'll wait till 12k and check it then. Haven't decided yet.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
The ZRX forum has a box of shims that travel from user to user...

I bought a kit when I installed my custom cams- but then discovered that the factory Honda shims come in half sizes compared to the kit.

Regardless, even if it didn't- I would have still needed to order shims.. so if I ever adjust again- I will just disassemble, measure, order, reassemble.

Thought I was saving time- and I was just wasting $.
I guess I didnt catch up after seeing you were trying to source custom cams. Didn't realize you got them!

Hows the bike sound with different cams?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
cj599_imp said:
i have a hot cams kit for the 599 i bet their the same as the 1100 most honda shims are the same

The kit I used was Hotcams as well. Don't bother...as I mentioned above the factory Honda shims come in sizes half of what the Hotcam kit has- so they are much more accurate.

By the time I ended up buying what I needed that wasn't in the kit- I spent more time and money than if I just measured and ordered what I needed piece meal.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
i have a hot cams kit for the 599 i bet their the same as the 1100 most honda shims are the same

The kit I used was Hotcams as well. Don't bother...as I mentioned above the factory Honda shims come in sizes half of what the Hotcam kit has- so they are much more accurate.

By the time I ended up buying what I needed that wasn't in the kit- I spent more time and money than if I just measured and ordered what I needed piece meal.

The kit I used was Hotcams as well. Don't bother...as I mentioned above the factory Honda shims come in sizes half of what the Hotcam kit has- so they are much more accurate.

By the time I ended up buying what I needed that wasn't in the kit- I spent more time and money than if I just measured and ordered what I needed piece meal. Where did you order your shims from?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
My sizing is different than anyone else would have since I have different cams.

I just ordered my oddball shims online from a Honda dealer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
Decided im gonna do the valves adjustment on my
- 1981 kz440 LTd first (screw and lock nut)
- Then 1 of my 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Secas second (25mm shim and bucket)
- And then ill check the honda.

Watched a few videos and its easy enough. The hard part will be reading the Valve shim chart.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I used to have a 440 LTD belt drive. Valves were super easy as they are simple tappets. I haven’t worked with the shim over bucket yet but I am confident I can figure it out eventually.
 
Back
Top