valve adjustment

I could do a video about how I’m bumping up on 8000 miles, but I really don’t want to do it so I’ll probably wait till 12k.

Would that help?
 
I wonder if even the Honda shop in Corpus Christi has a Tech that knows how to do it. I would make an even bet, he has never even seen a CB1100, of any kind. They only sold 1 CB1100! I am guessing, even with an able Tech, it is expensive.
 
Thread starter
I would just feel more comfortable about it if I've seen it done. watch one, do one, teach one, you know... there is at least one video on the nc750x and it's so simple you could adjust them occasionally for fun. really.

re: it being same as other shim under bucket, yes, but I want to see that valve cover come off and all those little pieces and parts that LakeWylieJoe talks about in his tips post.

and with the nc there are T1 and T2 marks you can clearly see so it's pretty much dummy proof where to line up. where as with this monster, you may have to take sprockets and chains off which scares the pee out of me!

I'm over 20,000 miles, so probably a good idea to check before too much longer...
 
jimgl3_imp said:
I would just feel more comfortable about it if I've seen it done. watch one, do one, teach one, you know... there is at least one video on the nc750x and it's so simple you could adjust them occasionally for fun. really.

re: it being same as other shim under bucket, yes, but I want to see that valve cover come off and all those little pieces and parts that LakeWylieJoe talks about in his tips post.

and with the nc there are T1 and T2 marks you can clearly see so it's pretty much dummy proof where to line up. where as with this monster, you may have to take sprockets and chains off which scares the pee out of me!

I'm over 20,000 miles, so probably a good idea to check before too much longer...
I'm with you. Would love to see a how to before I do mine for the first time also from one of the more experienced guys than I.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
No offense- but if you 'need a video' then don't try it.

Get a single cyl bike that uses the same shim style adjustment-- learn on that. Plenty of dirtbikes / quad / dual sport...

Once you get the concept= move forward.
 
Wouldn't it be great if we all could get together and do this to our bikes at the same time. I know it is just a whim, but you guys have a wealth of knowledge I could absorb from working on this and seeing how it is done. I have to find a way to see if the Honda dealer here in Corpus Christi can do it without offending them. I have slightly over 8600 miles on the 2013.
 
michael1954_imp said:
Wouldn't it be great if we all could get together and do this to our bikes at the same time. I know it is just a whim, but you guys have a wealth of knowledge I could absorb from working on this and seeing how it is done. I have to find a way to see if the Honda dealer here in Corpus Christi can do it without offending them. I have slightly over 8600 miles on the 2013.
That is an immensely great idea. In practice, less than ideal.

However, what a great "centerpiece" for a CB1100 Rally.
 
We had "winter rallies" in the North East with our CBX Club and did technical sessions like the one mentioned in the previous Posts . Difficult to do Nation Wide.
 
michael1954_imp said:
Wouldn't it be great if we all could get together and do this to our bikes at the same time. I know it is just a whim, but you guys have a wealth of knowledge I could absorb from working on this and seeing how it is done. I have to find a way to see if the Honda dealer here in Corpus Christi can do it without offending them. I have slightly over 8600 miles on the 2013.
The XJrider forum does that. One of the moderators has a shop and its open invite for any members riding his way to drop in and work on the bikes there

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
Wouldn't it be great if we all could get together and do this to our bikes at the same time. I know it is just a whim, but you guys have a wealth of knowledge I could absorb from working on this and seeing how it is done. I have to find a way to see if the Honda dealer here in Corpus Christi can do it without offending them. I have slightly over 8600 miles on the 2013.
The XJrider forum does that. One of the moderators has a shop and its open invite for any members riding his way to drop in and work on the bikes there

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
The XJrider forum does that. One of the moderators has a shop and its open invite for any members riding his way to drop in and work on the bikes there

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Now that sounds fantastic. I do lots to my bikes, but I have never done a valve adjustment. I know too it needs to be done. The final answer is the key, where?
 
Some excellent thoughts here folks.

The [Zoom] meeting would have a list of prerequisites for those who wish to participate live on their machine - and even get live assistance if an "uh oh moment" occurs.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Some excellent thoughts here folks.

The [Zoom] meeting would have a list of prerequisites for those who wish to participate live on their machine - and even get live assistance if an "uh oh moment" occurs.
Would be a little tricky to arrange but a good idea.

I'm not centralized to anyone being back on the east coast right now but when I get out I wanna open a bar with a shop space attached and have a community based option to come do motorcycle maintenance and stuff there.

The hard part is designing a motorcycle friendly bar that isn't a "Biker Bar".

I have friends in Brooklyn that have successfully opened a space like that (not revolving around a bar) but at first he and his buddies hosted a Bike Night on Monday nights in Williamsburg for the riders that don't work M-F jobs. Alot of us worked weird schedules and weekends so the usual weekend bike night wasn't an option most of the time.

We ended up with 84 bikes there our last bike night of the season. This year the core guys all pitched in on a shop space and its like a communal place to go do work on the bikes. If you're not a douche bag you're welcome lol. Before that they were stripping bikes down and doing work on the sidewalks, not ideal. They're connected to a crew on the West Coast too but not sure if they have a space like that out there.

Mostly Dynas and custom bikes but one of the Brooklyn Clubs comes by and they're all into vintage jap bikes. I think the pres was riding an old CB350 last time I saw him.

If I ever pull it off, it'll be open invite for you guys lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
I learned how to do valve checks on my KLR650 via "tech days" where through forums such as this one, like-minded riders would meet up at a designated home and do any and all tech needed. The veterans with the know-how would guide the less experienced through tire changes, valve inspections, "doo-hickeys" (KLR jargon), fork service, chains / sprockets, even electrical issues...you name it. I've done 3 valve checks this way, and each time it was so nice to have someone to immiately ask if you were in doubt. The big difference is that there are hundreds of KLR650 owners within stone's throw and not so much with the CB1100 unless you have a really good arm.
 
Back
Top