I believe Gcarver had to have all of his exhaust valves re shimmed, they were all loose.
I believe RandyB's were all in spec when he had his checked
Not sure anyone else has had it done
I may try to go 12K miles before I have mine checked....
I used to do them myself on my 900 Ninja, but I was younger, more ambitious and had less money, also the cams did not need to come out, just turn a screw.
I may try to go 12K miles before I have mine checked....
I used to do them myself on my 900 Ninja, but I was younger, more ambitious and had less money, also the cams did not need to come out, just turn a screw.
Hiker....yes the CB750s have tappets for valve adjustment... The 1100 will be a little more involved plus you will have to stock some various size shims ahead of time....or i guess you can do a check then stop what you are doing and go to the dealer and buy just what you need( i hate having having to stop and start a project for parts) Personally i would rather keep a small stock on hand then just use what i need.
I may try to go 12K miles before I have mine checked....
I used to do them myself on my 900 Ninja, but I was younger, more ambitious and had less money, also the cams did not need to come out, just turn a screw.
Rolls....To check the clearance it is a pretty simple task ...cold engine remove the tank and valve covers ,remove the cover on the flywheel side find the timing marks... look for TDC (the other set or marks are for ignition timing advance) turning the engine in the direction that it runs.I start with TDC on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder you will be able to tell compression stroke by the fact the cam lobes (Intake and exhaust) will be at there flattest in relation the the valves and there will be a little clearance at the cam and valve (both intake and exhaust at the same time) Then follow the firing order for checks of the next three cylinders....And btw az is right you dont have to pull the cams out for a simple check.... :clap:
A heads up to good people. When I went to the service department at Rosenau Powersports in Dearborn Heights for shims for my F4i's valve adjustments they just traded me straight up for what I needed. The mechanic would just pull out the shim box give me the sizes I needed, mike my old shims and put them back.
My experience with shim under bucket adjusters is that they rarely need adjustment. My Triumph Tiger 1050 was always in spec when checked every 12000 miles. A bike that needed shims changed at the first check was most likely out of spec since new. Older type shim over bucket systems as in my old Fiat needed resetting more often perhaps because the cam lobes acted directly on the shims. I know of at least one Tiger 1050 with valves still in spec after 75000 miles. At least the valves on the CB1100 are easy to check since there is little to remove for access other than the tank.