Value of shop manual?

pedro_k_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm thinking about getting a shop manual for my 2014 Deluxe. It's going to be a little over $60 (I think). The parts man is saying it states on his order site that it is for the CB1100. Will it apply to the Deluxe? Also, has it been your experience that it is worth having? I'm not going to get into serious mechanical overhauls on the bike, but I thought it might help with the periodic required maintenance. Thoughts?
Thank you.
 
It is always the first thing I buy for any bike I purchase, even if you will not do much mechanical work your self it gives a lot of useful info about your bike.
The second thing I buy is 2 sets of spare keys and put the original ones away.
 
The Honda shop manuals are by Helm, Inc. They are pricey but definitely worth having even if just to add to the collector value.

My local dealer usually has some older ones for sale on a closeout table. I always look at them when I stop by to see if they have one I like. I have even bought some for bikes I don't own. Just make interesting reading for gearhead types.

The current one applies to all cb1100's to date.

Of course, if you're not in a hurry, you can go the used or e-bay route.
 
I ordered mine from Helms also. The latest version is for the 2013 & 2014 models. Runs about $65, plus shipping.
 
Classic, The genuine Honda manual supplier is Helm. Buy it from your dealer, or straight from Helm. Same manual. The cheap ones are copies of copyrighted material.
 
There was a big discussion of this last year. They are real nice (I guess, haven't seen one) reproductions. But still, reproductions. Helm is the authorized printer and distributor. I don't know if they wholesale them or something to other dealers. That would be nice.

Helm is even referenced in the owners manual as the source.

No fight here though, I really don't care where someone gets one.
 
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Real men always buy the factory manual. Then they put in on a shelf in the garage and only open it for the occasional torque spec.
Nothing wrong with that. As long as you put a few dirty fingerprints on it, visitors to your garage will be impressed!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the great input -I'm going to buy one. Made me laugh, Spaceman - real men always buy the factory manual. So I better! Plus, I'm torque spec obsessed (drives me crazy when the guys at the shop rotate my car tires and air hammer those lug nuts down - I have to loosen and torque!- to spec!! :)
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Real men always buy the factory manual. Then they put in on a shelf in the garage and only open it for the occasional torque spec.
Really? I'd have thought a real man would just know how it all comes apart and goes back together again.

Didn't Chuck Norris once say something like "manuals are for wussies"?
 
If you enjoy doing your own maintenance and repairs it will not take many to make the price of a manual a bargain. I like to know how things work and how they are put together so I read them front to back to begin with. It is important to remember the manual cannot possibly contain everything you may need to know. Certain knowledge has to be taken for granted by the authors.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Real men always buy the factory manual. Then they put in on a shelf in the garage and only open it for the occasional torque spec.
Really? I'd have thought a real man would just know how it all comes apart and goes back together again.

Didn't Chuck Norris once say something like "manuals are for wussies"?
Well, in my business the saying is: "If your software needs a user manual, you wrote it wrong."
 
Back
Top