Value of Seat Modification

My '13 seat is not the best, for sure. I can take the Honda seat for about two hours, then I'm looking for a place to park the bike and take a walk. If I'm going on a longer ride and want comfort, I take the Yamaha. I once took a H-D Sportster seat to a local auto upholstery shop and had them add in some foam and it worked great. Not perfect, but doable.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
My '13 seat is not the best, for sure. I can take the Honda seat for about two hours, then I'm looking for a place to park the bike and take a walk. If I'm going on a longer ride and want comfort, I take the Yamaha. I once took a H-D Sportster seat to a local auto upholstery shop and had them add in some foam and it worked great. Not perfect, but doable.
I only bought one aftermarket seat for one motorcycle: HD 2004 Sportster. Prior to the purchase, I would need to stop after an hour, or maybe 70-100 miles. I'd feel a little sore, stiff, or need a bathroom break, gas or something to eat or drink. After buying the $350 seat, while a little more comfy, I'd still stop every 70-100 miles...for a bathroom break, gas, or something to eat or drink. Since then, I just go with stock seats (and bleacher pads) for multi-day trips. As long as I take my breaks, walk around, stretch, I can still ride a good 10+ hours per day for long trips. I feel it the next day, but it seems by end of day 2 or start of day 3, all is good.

But then again, I like $7.99 bottles of wine just as much as bottles costing $59.99, so maybe I'm just a cheap-a$$.
 
I found the problem with the seat is cumulative. Once the discomfort sets in, taking breaks helps, but not for very long.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I found the problem with the seat is cumulative. Once the discomfort sets in, taking breaks helps, but not for very long.
Agreed.

Standing while riding at in town speeds helps me immensely, and adventure bikes help facilitate that with significant ease. I could stand almost forever - at lower speeds, of course. I was unable to comfortably stand-up on the CB1100.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I found the problem with the seat is cumulative. Once the discomfort sets in, taking breaks helps, but not for very long.
I'd agree with that to some degree. Some of my breaks are 1/2 hour, not just a quick break for 5 mintures, and I always try to stand even when I eat. Stretching too, helps a good deal. I like to buy a subway sandwhich, go to a park, go for a walk even if it's for just a few minutes. But, yes, that second time, third time will often mean the break comes sooner. 115 miles, break, then 90, then 70...but then usually, depends on the day, I'll hit a groove where I go 150 miles after lunch, and then another 150, and tired, yes, but that can be 550-600 miles day which is on the longer side of what I prefer, but sometimes you gotta get places.

I just don't want to spend $$$ to experiment when what I do with bleacher pads already works.
 
I had a different experience with Motoskiveez. I bought a pair to try (expensive) and felt absolutely no difference in riding comfort. But it did feel like I had a load in my pants while walking. I was really disappointed considering the cost.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I had a different experience with Motoskiveez. I bought a pair to try (expensive) and felt absolutely no difference in riding comfort. But it did feel like I had a load in my pants while walking. I was really disappointed considering the cost.
LOL. Thanks for that descriptive image. I can't see the point in those either at that price. There are many different cycling (pedal bikes that is) shorts that are built the same way for less money. As long as I am not sitting on a thick seam or a big lump of fabric, I'm fine. Besides, my Aerostich AD1's have more variation than I could ever feel in a pair of compression shorts.

Whenever I see a brand that charges exorbitant prices for something that everyone else sells for beans, it set's off a red flag. It seems like those types of businesses operate primarily on marketing steam. Build a cult-like following and you can charge whatever you like. *cough* K&N *cough*
 
The ferret_imp said:
I had a different experience with Motoskiveez. I bought a pair to try (expensive) and felt absolutely no difference in riding comfort. But it did feel like I had a load in my pants while walking. I was really disappointed considering the cost.
:D far, far too much detail! :s :D
 
:blush: sorry

(but that's what it felt like :rofl: )

I had tried a pair of padded "bicycling shorts" but the foam was in the wrong places. They are meant for a skinny pointed bicycle seat instead a broad flat seat like a motorcycle has.

I must say the thinking behind the MotoSkiveez was right, and they are exceptionally well made, with different densities of foam in different places, and mesh for cooling, but for me they didn't make riding long distances any better and they made being off the bike and walking feel awkward.

Then again, I didn't do any better with an air hawk pad, or a gel pad on top of the seat either.
 
Somehow I don't picture wearing a comfort item like seat padding... on myself.
I've been losing a lot of weight lately, and was wondering if losing "natural padding" would make a difference in seat comfort. It has actually been feeling better. Maybe due to less gravity pushing me down into the seat?
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I don't get off the bike to fuel up, just pull up close and stick it in there.
I wish I had that much coordination. Between trying to get a glove off to unzip my pocket to get my wallet, getting out my credit card and then reaching over to stick it in the gas pump, somehow I see myself wedged between the pump and my tipped-over bike.
 
in case you've never seen em

the padding in Motoskiveez

a1d8cdef5afac8d5694323ddee6e931f.jpg


the mesh
050e9d040d5076125069bc4c9b52970a.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
in case you've never seen em

the padding in Motoskiveez

a1d8cdef5afac8d5694323ddee6e931f.jpg


the mesh
050e9d040d5076125069bc4c9b52970a.jpg
I'll admit, when I read posts about them being padded, I didn't realize just how padded they were. Those are indeed padded differently than cycling shorts. Not sure how effective memory foam would be after it reaches body temperature though, but if you have $75 you don't know what to do with, I guess why not?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Somehow I don't picture wearing a comfort item like seat padding... on myself.
I've been losing a lot of weight lately, and was wondering if losing "natural padding" would make a difference in seat comfort. It has actually been feeling better. Maybe due to less gravity pushing me down into the seat?
Sounds good, Gone. Congratulations!

And that would also be less meat jacket to spread around on the tarmac if some terrible were to happen. That is a bit of a bonus.
 
Eeeew. Nasty. I'm cheap, my riding gear and dress-up (trade show) clothes were getting tight, and I don't want to buy new stuff in a bigger size.
Not gonna go as skinny as I did about ten years ago. People were asking my friends if I was sick.
 
Yeah, head didn't shrink too much, just the rest of the body.
My face goes from Jolly to more of a "Mike the old guy in Breaking Bad" look.
 
Back
Top