Value of Seat Modification

clc0000

First service completed
Thread starter
Looking for opinions: I have purchased a 2014 Dlx and the previous owner installed a cafe-style custom seat on the bike. Unfortunately, he sold the stock seat. I am 6' tall and the very low seat height and seating position restriction of the seat just will not work. I've been reading through the threads to gain some insight on seating options. I have narrowed my choice of replacement to two; 1) a stock honda original equipment seat or 2) a K and H Custom seat made to order with the "Hi" profile and adjusted foam for my weight. Prices around $390 and $650, respectively. I am concerned about optimal comfort and resale value in the long run, not one over the other, just concerns.

Love the bike otherwise. All comments and suggestion welcomed.
 
I’m sure the guys will chime in. In the meantime there are many thread on seats here. Do some searching and you will be reading for a while. A long while :)
 
If you watch FB Marketplace and cast a wide net you’ll probably find either option available. There was a K&H for sale around me a very short while back.
 
Get the K&H - they are fantastic.


3b479d7b6f9fe543d703067e8b7e862d.jpg



78930db60c318f894b2bcefcea0d6777.jpg
 
resale value will not be affected one way or the other
 
I am sure others now better about types, prices, and personal experience.
There is a report - I am trying to find it - which explains where the so-called comfy seats (aftermarket) fail. It goes more or less like this:
a good seat remains unchanged in softness and firm when it warms up (considerably), meaning when you do longer trips, or go in warm weather, this is what the comfy seats usually cannot do (and what you cannot test before ordering). If a seat gets softer during the ride you will slowly slide forward (in most cases, true for the CB), and this renders the initial extra comfort useless.
Best re-sale value : original seat
best price as you now already know : original
good position for 6' : original (I am 6'3)

Good luck ;0
 
The OEM Deluxe seat is pretty good - a lot better than my 2014 standard seat was - but I got a K&H Mid height seat and I like it even better. FWIW I have a 31” inseam and my feet are just barely flat on the ground with the K&H Mid seat.

9734a8d5461096d1f371a35e3b2f6c32.jpg
 
I have two CBs, a standard one and a DLX.
I can easily cover over 600 miles a day or over 1,500 miles over the course of few consecutive days without any discomfort.
But I must say that the DLX seat is more comfortable.
 
Thread starter
GREAT responses. Keep it coming. The picture is becoming more in focus. I will let this thread know when I make the decision..........
 
The OEM 2010-2014 standard seat is agony for rides longer than a couple of hours. An Air Hawk cushion has solved that.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all! I decided to go with original equipment seat 77200-MGC-N21ZA, which through HOURS of research should be the one for my 2014 Dlx. I got a really good price from a supplier in North Carolina with free shipping via UPS. Fingers crossed for timely delivery. The delivered price was half the price of the K and H, by the way.
 
My 2014 seat was like sitting on a foam covered wedge that caused major pain in the tailbone region after about an hour. To resolve that I ordered a Corbin Gunfighter and as soon as I got it, I realized it was even worse, only now the sides of the saddle dug into my glutes and caused numbness and leg pain. I sold that seat on eBay for a net loss of about $150.

My 2017 EX stock seat was much more comfortable than the 2014, but it still caused discomfort after about 2 hours that would linger for the following day. All the while I had been scouring Craigslist and eBay for a stock seat pan I could send off for modification. When a Russel Day Long popped up on eBay for $300, I snapped it up and couldn't be happier. Yes, the tractor saddle doesn't look true to form for the CB, but my butt couldn't care less. The rest of the body gets tired now before the seat gets to me. I loved it so much, I picked up one for the FJR as well. If I could put one in my Jeep I would. :D

c1f3a0155beca7ac6fff28d3d6709253.jpg
 
Seat comfort is so important, isn't it? The guys on the Royal Enfield forum are talking about a woman from England who was sponsored by RE to ride an Interceptor 650 across the U.S., covering 48 states in 48 days, totalling around 16,000 miles. Supposedly she had no mechanical problems, and was impressed with the bike's comfort over such a long distance.

Half of the people on the forum are dubious about the bike being so reliable. Almost all are dubious that she was able to endure the stock seat for more than a day, let alone 48 days.

I found the stock '13 CB1100 seat to be comfortable for an hour or two and was looking at possible alternatives. I scored a second seat from someone here on the forum in perfect shape and packed it away, and took my original seat to an upholsterer near my office named "Bugs" who is known for motorcycle seats. I explained what I wanted in comfort, and described the style I was looking for.

He sized me up for a minute, and then totally ignored everything I was saying as he started sketching on the seat with a piece of chalk. He said "Come back in two weeks, you'll like it."

I really don't know what he did, but it looks great and I can ride on it for days on end in comfort.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Seat comfort is so important, isn't it? The guys on the Royal Enfield forum are talking about a woman from England who was sponsored by RE to ride an Interceptor 650 across the U.S., covering 48 states in 48 days, totalling around 16,000 miles. Supposedly she had no mechanical problems, and was impressed with the bike's comfort over such a long distance.

Half of the people on the forum are dubious about the bike being so reliable. Almost all are dubious that she was able to endure the stock seat for more than a day, let alone 48 days.

I found the stock '13 CB1100 seat to be comfortable for an hour or two and was looking at possible alternatives. I scored a second seat from someone here on the forum in perfect shape and packed it away, and took my original seat to an upholsterer near my office named "Bugs" who is known for motorcycle seats. I explained what I wanted in comfort, and described the style I was looking for.

He sized me up for a minute, and then totally ignored everything I was saying as he started sketching on the seat with a piece of chalk. He said "Come back in two weeks, you'll like it."

I really don't know what he did, but it looks great and I can ride on it for days on end in comfort.
I love that it looks so close to stock AND is comfortable. Best of both worlds, so to speak.
 
I rode my 2014 DLX with stock seat straight back from the Arkansas rally 697.7 miles in 12 hours. Empty Sea rode right beside me before we split off somewhere in Ill on his 2013 with stock seat. He did 625 miles in 11 hrs and 47 mins but did stop for 1/2 hour to eat someplace.

Some of us are pretty immune to Oem Japanese seats lol... in fact in estimated 800,000 miles on 32 motorcycles I have never had a custom seat. I did have the seat cut down on my ST 1300 so I could reach the ground better, and did 5500 miles in 11 days on it riding to Cali and back, (approx 10 hours per day in the saddle) but in general stock seats don't bother me.
 
Whoops_imp said:
My 2014 seat was like sitting on a foam covered wedge that caused major pain in the tailbone region after about an hour. To resolve that I ordered a Corbin Gunfighter and as soon as I got it, I realized it was even worse, only now the sides of the saddle dug into my glutes and caused numbness and leg pain. I sold that seat on eBay for a net loss of about $150.

My 2017 EX stock seat was much more comfortable than the 2014, but it still caused discomfort after about 2 hours that would linger for the following day. All the while I had been scouring Craigslist and eBay for a stock seat pan I could send off for modification. When a Russel Day Long popped up on eBay for $300, I snapped it up and couldn't be happier. Yes, the tractor saddle doesn't look true to form for the CB, but my butt couldn't care less. The rest of the body gets tired now before the seat gets to me. I loved it so much, I picked up one for the FJR as well. If I could put one in my Jeep I would. :D

c1f3a0155beca7ac6fff28d3d6709253.jpg
Good to know, and thanks Whoops.

Nice 'n' peaceful image background.
 
Thinking about what I sit in the longest, I guess if I could put any seat on a motorcycle, it would be seat 11A from an American Airlines 737.
One of the benefits of a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 is that while the stock seat isn't known for comfort, a huge variety of factory accessory and aftermarket seats are avaiable for them, and all for laughably cheap prices compared to anything else you'll ever ride. I paid fifty bucks for a different seat for mine on FB because the original owner ordered several seats, picked the one he liked most, and sold the rest.
 
Back
Top