Used Bike Test Ride Etiquette & Protocol

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
These questions are in reference to used motorcycle sales transactions between private individuals.

Seller's Perspective
When you're selling a bike, do you insist on holding the asking price in cash while the prospective buyer takes a test ride? Or do you let the prospect take a test ride without holding any security? Are you concerned about the possibility of your bike being dropped or wrecked by a rider whose skills are unknown to you?

Buyer's Perspective
Are you understanding of a seller who wants to hold cash during the test ride? Or are you put off by the expectation and refuse to work with a seller who has that requirement?
 
I’ve been both numerous times and have only test rode one bike while allowing a test ride to one person I felt comfortable with. I tend to buy nearly new condition with low mileage from first owner so there isn’t much to worry about. As far as letting sellers test ride I need that money in hand before you get to ride. I’m not taking chances of the buyer taking off with my bike or dropping it.
 
These are very good questions.

Looking back, I never held money. I usually kept their wife/girlfriend and sometimes their car keys when selling and they are test riding. Everytime the test ride resulted in the sale.

As a buyer, I never gave cash to be held, nor car keys, ID, a testicle, etc. I every case I either bought the bike after a test ride, or my buddy did (who did not test ride it, but wanted it :huh:).

I suppose the ride comes in play when engaged parties detect serious interest. Never has a bike been dropped in either situation, but that is merely gauged luck.

Would I do the same today? Probably. Again, gauge the potential buyer and respect the seller. I believe in every case when the spouse is involved to watch, the test rider is very respectful.
 
As a seller, you are in an awkward position in allowing test rides. A few years ago, a 30-something potential buyer parked his late model Saab across the street to see my Triumph Bonneville. Everything seemed okay, he left me his cluster of keys, and proceeded to take a ripping test ride through the neighborhood, back and forth, through the gears, having a blast.

I felt pretty stupid, as I walked across the street and could see that the guy was clearly living in his car. He finally came back after about 20 minutes, said thanks, but no, gave me the keys, and took his, and left. Absolutely nothing I could do or say, all legal on his part.

Now I am much more careful, and will give a test ride only with cash in hand, with the clear understanding that the bike is his if the bike functioned as it should, not how he expected or hoped. The test ride is the last step if everything is working properly.
 
About 10 years ago a guy and his girlfriend came to my house to look at one of my VF1000 R's and took it for a test ride. The girlfriend NEVER said a word to me and was looking very upset. When the guy came back and bought the bike he softly mentioned to me that he was using money put aside for her wedding ring ! I told him to look for another girlfriend as this relationship was coming to an end.
 
Houtman_imp said:
About 10 years ago a guy and his girlfriend came to my house to look at one of my VF1000 R's and took it for a test ride. The girlfriend NEVER said a word to me and was looking very upset. When the guy came back and bought the bike he softly mentioned to me that he was using money put aside for her wedding ring ! I told him to look for another girlfriend as this relationship was coming to an end.
Indeed. Quite the death knell.

In my experience the female spouse sanctioned the used bike purchase for her man and she was paying every time. Lucky couples.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
As a seller, you are in an awkward position in allowing test rides. A few years ago, a 30-something potential buyer parked his late model Saab across the street to see my Triumph Bonneville. Everything seemed okay, he left me his cluster of keys, and proceeded to take a ripping test ride through the neighborhood, back and forth, through the gears, having a blast.

I felt pretty stupid, as I walked across the street and could see that the guy was clearly living in his car. He finally came back after about 20 minutes, said thanks, but no, gave me the keys, and took his, and left. Absolutely nothing I could do or say, all legal on his part.

Now I am much more careful, and will give a test ride only with cash in hand, with the clear understanding that the bike is his if the bike functioned as it should, not how he expected or hoped. The test ride is the last step if everything is working properly.
This is exactly my thinking. As a buyer, I would have empathy with the seller that he's handing over to me thousands of dollars worth of personal property that is uninsured when operated as a loaner vehicle. It's reasonable for me - if I'm truly a serious buyer - to reciprocate by handing the seller thousands of dollars of cash as collateral on his property while it's in my possession and control.

Some buyers seem think the seller is obligated to give them a no-strings-attached all-risk-on-the-seller test ride as the first - not last - step in the buying process.
 
I’ve always required my asking price in cash and check for a motorcycle license before allowing a test ride on any bike I’m selling. When I’m buying, I’ve encountered all types of sellers. A few have just handed me their bikes with no money or collateral. Hadn’t even brought someone else with me. I must look trustworthy.

I’ve been lucky not to have any unpleasant or unscrupulous situations as a buyer or seller of vehicles in private party transactions.

I saw the ad for my current CB on a Saturday night, and looked at it on Sunday before leaving on a business trip. Since I didn’t have access to cash for a purchase, the seller politely declined to let me ride the bike and I completely understood. We made a gentleman’s agreement that I’d come back with cash after my trip intending to purchase the bike.

When my wife and I came back a week later with the money, he had been having second thoughts about selling. He sent me off on a test ride, and when I came back just a few minutes later, he had his hopes up that the short ride meant I didn’t like the bike. When I said I did like it, he insisted that I take a longer ride. “These bikes get really uncomfortable after a while. Take it for a long ride, and take it out on the freeway, and you’ll see that you probably won’t want it.”

His wife and mine were having a pleasant conversation so I went for a longer ride, which of course didn’t make me like it any less. We sealed the deal once his wife overrode the owner’s hesitation to sell it. “If you like it so much how come you’ve hardly ridden it since you just had to have it six years ago?”

So in this case, the female spouse, albeit not mine, was on my side. Mine was supportive as well of course.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I’ve always required my asking price in cash and check for a motorcycle license before allowing a test ride on any bike I’m selling. When I’m buying, I’ve encountered all types of sellers. A few have just handed me their bikes with no money or collateral. Hadn’t even brought someone else with me. I must look trustworthy.

I’ve been lucky not to have any unpleasant or unscrupulous situations as a buyer or seller of vehicles in private party transactions.

I saw the ad for my current CB on a Saturday night, and looked at it on Sunday before leaving on a business trip. Since I didn’t have access to cash for a purchase, the seller politely declined to let me ride the bike and I completely understood. We made a gentleman’s agreement that I’d come back with cash after my trip intending to purchase the bike.

When my wife and I came back a week later with the money, he had been having second thoughts about selling. He sent me off on a test ride, and when I came back just a few minutes later, he had his hopes up that the short ride meant I didn’t like the bike. When I said I did like it, he insisted that I take a longer ride. “These bikes get really uncomfortable after a while. Take it for a long ride, and take it out on the freeway, and you’ll see that you probably won’t want it.”

His wife and mine were having a pleasant conversation so I went for a longer ride, which of course didn’t make me like it any less. We sealed the deal once his wife overrode the owner’s hesitation to sell it. “If you like it so much how come you’ve hardly ridden it since you just had to have it six years ago?”

So in this case, the female spouse, albeit not mine, was on my side. Mine was supportive as well of course.
Haha...that's a great story.
pekingduck_imp said:
As a seller, you are in an awkward position in allowing test rides. A few years ago, a 30-something potential buyer parked his late model Saab across the street to see my Triumph Bonneville. Everything seemed okay, he left me his cluster of keys, and proceeded to take a ripping test ride through the neighborhood, back and forth, through the gears, having a blast.

I felt pretty stupid, as I walked across the street and could see that the guy was clearly living in his car. He finally came back after about 20 minutes, said thanks, but no, gave me the keys, and took his, and left. Absolutely nothing I could do or say, all legal on his part.

Now I am much more careful, and will give a test ride only with cash in hand, with the clear understanding that the bike is his if the bike functioned as it should, not how he expected or hoped. The test ride is the last step if everything is working properly.
I understand the need to protect yourself as an owner, but I would never agree to the test ride if only granted "with the clear understanding" that the bike is mine if it functioned as it should.

Of course you as seller have the right to sell under the conditions you want, and if the bike is an easy one to sell, offered at a good price, you'd probably find a taker soon enough...it just wouldn't be me. There have been a few bikes that I was positive that I would like, and then once I test rode thought..."ugh, no way does this work for me".
 
pekingduck_imp said:
As a seller, you are in an awkward position in allowing test rides. A few years ago, a 30-something potential buyer parked his late model Saab across the street to see my Triumph Bonneville. Everything seemed okay, he left me his cluster of keys, and proceeded to take a ripping test ride through the neighborhood, back and forth, through the gears, having a blast.

I felt pretty stupid, as I walked across the street and could see that the guy was clearly living in his car. He finally came back after about 20 minutes, said thanks, but no, gave me the keys, and took his, and left. Absolutely nothing I could do or say, all legal on his part.

Now I am much more careful, and will give a test ride only with cash in hand, with the clear understanding that the bike is his if the bike functioned as it should, not how he expected or hoped. The test ride is the last step if everything is working properly.
I understand the need to protect yourself as an owner, but I would never agree to the test ride if only granted "with the clear understanding" that the bike is mine if it functioned as it should.

Of course you as seller have the right to sell under the conditions you want, and if the bike is an easy one to sell, offered at a good price, you'd probably find a taker soon enough...it just wouldn't be me. There have been a few bikes that I was positive that I would like, and then once I test rode thought..."ugh, no way does this work for me".
[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is hard for a buyer to know what to expect of a bike, especially if he or she hasn't ridden a lot of different ones - "this bike doesn't have any low-end torque", or "this one doesn't turn easily" or "this one feels heavier than I thought it would be".

I get it, you don't know until you actually ride it. But you would have to look to your friends or a dealer for that. It's not my job to provide test rides for someone to figure out what they want, only to make sure what I'm selling is safe and operating as it should be. Lately, I've left my bikes on consignment at a dealer and lose a little rather than put up with the risk and inconvenience.
 
Having been an insurance claims adjuster, I’ll make the comment that as a private party seller, it’s important to fully understand your policy before you let a stranger test ride your bike.

In most cases, insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. So a buyer who says “don’t worry, I’m insured” is probably irrelevant in the case of an accident. Also, there are “named driver only” policies that would render the bike uninsured if someone other than the owner is riding.
 
Meanwhile, when I demo a new bike at a dealership, they require my proof of insurance, which implies my carrier will be providing the coverage.
 
From what I understand for the most part Collision insurance stays with the bike, Liability with the insured rider. So if you go down with the dealers or sellers bike their insurance covers any damages to the bike but your insurance covers that car you hit or injuries sustained.
 
All depends on how the policy is written, and where. In California, comprehensive/collision and liability follow the vehicle. If you wreck a dealer’s bike, their insurance would most likely be primary, since they own the bikes, but their carrier would subrogate, meaning they’d seek compensation from your carrier for the damages they paid for after the fact.

Same basic deal with rental cars, or at least has been in the case of the rentals I’ve either covered or had the misfortune of damaging.

My point is, as a seller, make sure you know what your coverage is. The saddest claim I ever investigated was a lady who didn’t realize she was the only named driver on her own policy. She let a friend borrow her new car, and her friend wrecked it. There was no coverage in that case and the lady was stuck with it. She cried that her agent never told her she was the only person covered to drive her own car, but a quick glance at the policy declaration page spelled it out. Likely that her agent didn’t explain it clearly enough to her.
 
Thread starter
There's no free lunch, eh? You might get a lower premium for your coverage but strings will be attached.

I know a guy who went to look at a used bike. The owner said he would not allow test rides but that he would demonstrate the bike on the road with the buyer following. The owner then proceeded to grab a handful of front brake during the demo ride and dropped the bike hard at an intersection, trashing the bike and hurting himself. The buyer helped him out but of course said no thanks to the bike.
 
Stichill_imp said:
There's no free lunch, eh? You might get a lower premium for your coverage but strings will be attached.

I know a guy who went to look at a used bike. The owner said he would not allow test rides but that he would demonstrate the bike on the road with the buyer following. The owner then proceeded to grab a handful of front brake during the demo ride and dropped the bike hard at an intersection, trashing the bike and hurting himself. The buyer helped him out but of course said no thanks to the bike.
OUCH!!!
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
There's no free lunch, eh? You might get a lower premium for your coverage but strings will be attached.

I know a guy who went to look at a used bike. The owner said he would not allow test rides but that he would demonstrate the bike on the road with the buyer following. The owner then proceeded to grab a handful of front brake during the demo ride and dropped the bike hard at an intersection, trashing the bike and hurting himself. The buyer helped him out but of course said no thanks to the bike.
OUCH!!!
The moral of the story for me: it's bad if the owner crashes on the demo ride, but it would be way worse (for all involved) if the buyer did so.
 
Buying/selling tales: I was very interested in an immaculate late-model green Triumph Trophy 1200. I looked at it, took a short test ride, and told the seller I'd buy it. Trying to get myself over to his house proved futile in the next several days. He said No problem, I'll deliver it to your house on a trailer. I said Great. He arrived, towing a trailer with the bike on it. He released all the tie-downs, started the bike, and began to walk it backwards off the trailer. Off the ramp and on the street, he stopped, teetered for a second, then dropped it over sideways. Not much damage, just some scratches on the lower fairing, but the engine had stopped and would not restart. We agreed that he would take the bike home, sort it out, and we would renegotiate the price. Several days later, he called me to say he couldn't get it restarted. We went back and forth, but he wouldn't take the low-ball price I offered. Too bad, I liked that bike, but later bought a BMW R1100RT, which I still have. It and the CB keep each other company in the garage.
 
Yikes! What a story!

I once sold a bike to a guy who showed up with a pickup truck. We agreed to the sale, he handed over the cash and I handed over the title. He then proceeded to load the bike into the back of his pickup. Engine on, bike in gear, and up the loading ramp it went. When the front wheel made contact with the truck bed, the rear wheel spit out the ramp and the bike crashed down onto the tailgate, landing on its low-slung exhausts and crushing them. Bummer for him.
 
Back
Top