Uplifting

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
One can lift (or secure) the front of your CB, using a hook and chain or straps connected to the fork mounts or the handle bar. I remember having seen pictures and posts here on the forum. But is there a safe way to lift up the rear ? If you have done it before, do you have pictures ? Thanks
 
I'm assuming you mean besides a center stand, if so equipped?

I've used a PitBull stand with the rubber covered pegs. Not ideal as it can slide around but does work
 
Much safer and easier to use a proper front stand , Pit Bull has great ones , just get the right pin for your bike as different makes have a different size pin. The cost of the stands is nothing compared when you damage to your bike by "rigging" it the wrong way.
 
Thread starter
@sparky, yes, correct
@hout, the pin connects to the ?? ... axles ? would sb have a photo ?
or a name / designation helping me google it ?
 
Hout is talking about the front stand that goes to the bottom of the lower triple tree. many triples have a hollow stem and that's where the stand usually slides into. Ideal for removing forks.

PitBull is the standard in all stands... they are tough and work well.
Here are some pics for your viewing pleasures....
 
Thanks Sparky 80 for posting these pictures and yes that is exactly the set up I use.
For interested parties :just Google Pit Bull and you will see all the stands they have.
 
Good use Sparky80.

I had one of those but got rid of it when I lost access to hard, flat surfaces. Now stuck using cinder blocks, junk lumber, rocks, gnomes, and whatever else I can find to prevent the machine from napping in the herb garden.
 
Thread starter
Thanks a lot for the pictures. That second one looks fine, now I understand. More interesting the first picture, the pitbull lifter in front, seemingly not connected (;) ), and the m/c looking like miraculously hoovering in the air, only supported by the read wheel. Fun :rolleyes:

By the way, I would put a solid weight on the lifter's handle bar left/bottom, on the floor (still talking about the first pic). You move around in the garage, carry a package, kick the little wheels, step backwards, trip over it, etc. and ... that will be an expensive awakening.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Thanks a lot for the pictures. That second one looks fine, now I understand. More interesting the first picture, the pitbull lifter in front, seemingly not connected (;) ), and the m/c looking like miraculously hoovering in the air, only supported by the read wheel. Fun :rolleyes:

By the way, I would put a solid weight on the lifter's handle bar left/bottom, on the floor (still talking about the first pic). You move around in the garage, carry a package, kick the little wheels, step backwards, trip over it, etc. and ... that will be an expensive awakening.
This my favorite pic I've taken using the headlift stand. was doing fork seals and tires for my buddy's 'busa. This bird looks fast propped up on stands.
 
j3gq_imp said:
One can lift (or secure) the front of your CB, using a hook and chain or straps connected to the fork mounts or the handle bar. I remember having seen pictures and posts here on the forum. But is there a safe way to lift up the rear ? If you have done it before, do you have pictures ? Thanks
You may have seen the pics on here, of my electric hoist.

I have very limited room in my garage, so my hoist works well for me. However, it's not a perfect solution (otherwise professional workshops would use 'em!). The 'bike can swing sideways (while still supported) and is not as rigid as I'd like it. It's certainly not as good as the front stands shown here.

The hoist is not good for the rear, because the steering head permits the 'bike to 'bend' and the front to fall to one side or the other. Hoisting the steering head is satisfactory but requires the 'bike to be held rigidly somewhere else - I used a rear wheel clamp.

If you can use rigid stands front and rear, I would recommend that.
 
Thread starter
Bazbro_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
One can lift (or secure) the front of your CB, using a hook and chain or straps connected to the fork mounts or the handle bar. I remember having seen pictures and posts here on the forum. But is there a safe way to lift up the rear ? If you have done it before, do you have pictures ? Thanks
You may have seen the pics on here, of my electric hoist.

I have very limited room in my garage, so my hoist works well for me. However, it's not a perfect solution (otherwise professional workshops would use 'em!). The 'bike can swing sideways (while still supported) and is not as rigid as I'd like it. It's certainly not as good as the front stands shown here.

The hoist is not good for the rear, because the steering head permits the 'bike to 'bend' and the front to fall to one side or the other. Hoisting the steering head is satisfactory but requires the 'bike to be held rigidly somewhere else - I used a rear wheel clamp.

If you can use rigid stands front and rear, I would recommend that.
Thanks a lot, very helpful. I was contemplating a hoist without thinking about the consequences. Now, it will be rigid stands.
 
Back
Top