Upgrading Standard Brakes

ff73148_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Has anyone installed steel braided brake hoses on the standard model?I'm waiting to see if Honda comes out with a DLX model for 2016 and if they don't I might decide to buy a standard model. But non ABS is an issue for me. So Has anyone improved on the standard model braking? Thanks.
Frank Ferrante
 
I don't really know that SS brake lines will really improve the braking significantly vs. the ABS model. The 4 pot calipers on the standard are still great in terms of power and modulation/feel (they are probably actually better than the 3 pots on the 2013 ABS, and IIRC are identical on the 2014+). Honda definetely didn't cheap out on the components on either model.
 
Thread starter
kmoney,
I've installed ss lines before on other bikes and was shocked at the improved performance. I had to be careful with the brakes at first because of the improvement. The Honda OEM lines are rubber and over time the rubber will brake down and expand when you pulse them. Honda used to recommend to change them every few years. Thanks.
Frank
 
Standard brakes are phenomenal. I think if you are concerned with not having abs, installing steel braided lines is not going to make up for the perceived shortcoming of the standard brakes. In fact, I find the standard brakes so responsive, easy to modulate, and with lots of feedback that adding braided lines might take away from the ability to easily modulate the brakes which is less safe on a non-abs equipped bike. Modern brake lines are not that of yore. They are internally reinforced, so you see only the rubber layer on the outside. They will last a long while.

Try to test out a standard and see what you think of the brakes. Unless you are used to riding supersports with radial mounted Brembos, I can't imagine anyone wanting for more.
 
The bike I had before the CB (Moto Guzzi Breva 1100) had braided lines and Brembo calipers and they were fantastic but not one whit better than the brakes on my non-ABS 2013 STD. The brakes on the CB are superb.
 
Thread starter
kmoney_imp said:
I don't really know that SS brake lines will really improve the braking significantly vs. the ABS model. The 4 pot calipers on the standard are still great in terms of power and modulation/feel (they are probably actually better than the 3 pots on the 2013 ABS, and IIRC are identical on the 2014+). Honda definetely didn't cheap out on the components on either model.
the_undecider_imp said:
Standard brakes are phenomenal. I think if you are concerned with not having abs, installing steel braided lines is not going to make up for the perceived shortcoming of the standard brakes. In fact, I find the standard brakes so responsive, easy to modulate, and with lots of feedback that adding braided lines might take away from the ability to easily modulate the brakes which is less safe on a non-abs equipped bike. Modern brake lines are not that of yore. They are internally reinforced, so you see only the rubber layer on the outside. They will last a long while.

Try to test out a standard and see what you think of the brakes. Unless you are used to riding supersports with radial mounted Brembos, I can't imagine anyone wanting for more.
You make a good point about changing to ss lines and interfering with the brake set up. I wish I could test a standard but dealers are unwilling to provide test rides.
Frank
redbirds_imp said:
The bike I had before the CB (Moto Guzzi Breva 1100) had braided lines and Brembo calipers and they were fantastic but not one whit better than the brakes on my non-ABS 2013 STD. The brakes on the CB are superb.
You honestly feel the brakes on the stamndard are as good as the ABS on your Guzzi?
 
I can't help but get the impression that you are really worried more about not having abs. It's unfortunate that you can't test ride the bike before buying because I think you would find the standard brakes superb. That said, it's not going to tell you much by comparing one bike with abs to a completely different bike without abs. Apples and oranges. Not saying the Guzzi brakes are lowsy, but if they are objectively worse than the CB1100, having abs doesn't make up for such shortcomings. My V-strom 650 abs has weak, wooden front brakes. I like the additional security abs adds to that bike, but partially because it allows me to be ham-fisted without fear od screwing something up. I feel just as secure on my non-abs CB as I do on the V-strom (which I plan to upgrade to braided lines up front).

Even comparing a CB1100 to a CB1100 will (or Standard to Deluxe) will only confirm that one has anti lock brakes. I think you should focus on whether that feature is a requirement. I certainly do understand the predicament in wanting a CB but not finding one with abs. I appreciate the additional confidence that abs provides. That's up to you to figure out if you want a standard more than having a deluxe. If you get the standard, you'll soon find out how the brakes feel. I think you will also find that there is no "low hanging fruit" in terms of a brake upgrade.

Best of luck with you decision. I know how hard those can be.

- the_undecider
 
Really, come on, ABS is no silver bullet, people...

Ya it's nice, but necessary, not in my opinion.

Spend some money on advanced rider training and you'll find that the brakes on most any motorcycle produced in the past 10 years are phenomenal.

I have a 1979 BMW with triple disks, state of the art in 1979, and even those old-tech brakes are not too bad and get the job done just fine, thank you.

Leave more "escape space" when you ride and you will find the standard OEM brakes are much more than adequate.

And this "myth" that Stainless Steel lines improve braking is just that, a myth along side the other great myth that aftermarket exhaust increases horsepower, phooey.

You want to tweak your brakes? Try some alternative brake pad material and that "might" get you where YOU think you need to be in the way of braking power.

Again, I would spend my money on a street skills track day, Like Reg Pridmor's CLASS, and improve the most important braking factor... YOU. :biker:
 
TINK_imp said:
Really, come on, ABS is no silver bullet, people...

Ya it's nice, but necessary, not in my opinion.

Spend some money on advanced rider training and you'll find that the brakes on most any motorcycle produced in the past 10 years are phenomenal.

I have a 1979 BMW with triple disks, state of the art in 1979, and even those old-tech brakes are not too bad and get the job done just fine, thank you.

Leave more "escape space" when you ride and you will find the standard OEM brakes are much more than adequate.

And this "myth" that Stainless Steel lines improve braking is just that, a myth along side the other great myth that aftermarket exhaust increases horsepower, phooey.

You want to tweak your brakes? Try some alternative brake pad material and that "might" get you where YOU think you need to be in the way of braking power.

Again, I would spend my money on a street skills track day, Like Reg Pridmor's CLASS, and improve the most important braking factor... YOU. :biker:
Spoken like a true voice of experience. Bravo.
 
I understand the desire for ABS, they can be hard to find. I decided that I was going to have ABS on my next bike, when I found my CB for sale used, I pounced on it. It took a while but for myself I have no doubt that they are superb. That said, many here feel that the '14 standard has excellent brakes so I would take that into account also.

I agree with TINK that riding classes are a great way to learn how to make the most of riding, but in my case after 40 years of riding I knew that I wanted ABS. Don't settle for what others may say in the long run, it's your money and if you want ABS you may have to wait a bit.
 
Thread starter
I appreciate everyone's opinion and I thank you. The reason I want ABS is because of the environment I ride in. I live in a high traffic area of NJ. I grew up riding in NYC. On a smaller and lighter bike ABS is the way to go. The technology is nothing new and should be on every bike. Do ss lines help? I believe they do. I say this from experience. I've been riding for 39 years. Does rider training help. Absolutely! Are the brakes on the standard sufficient. Probably. But if there is that one time that ABS will help me in a situation, I'll take it. My other ride is an F6B. It doesn't have ABS but the brakes are linked. Another feature that Honda could put on more bikes for better braking.
 
ff73148_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
I don't really know that SS brake lines will really improve the braking significantly vs. the ABS model. The 4 pot calipers on the standard are still great in terms of power and modulation/feel (they are probably actually better than the 3 pots on the 2013 ABS, and IIRC are identical on the 2014+). Honda definetely didn't cheap out on the components on either model.
the_undecider_imp said:
Standard brakes are phenomenal. I think if you are concerned with not having abs, installing steel braided lines is not going to make up for the perceived shortcoming of the standard brakes. In fact, I find the standard brakes so responsive, easy to modulate, and with lots of feedback that adding braided lines might take away from the ability to easily modulate the brakes which is less safe on a non-abs equipped bike. Modern brake lines are not that of yore. They are internally reinforced, so you see only the rubber layer on the outside. They will last a long while.

Try to test out a standard and see what you think of the brakes. Unless you are used to riding supersports with radial mounted Brembos, I can't imagine anyone wanting for more.
You make a good point about changing to ss lines and interfering with the brake set up. I wish I could test a standard but dealers are unwilling to provide test rides.
Frank
redbirds_imp said:
The bike I had before the CB (Moto Guzzi Breva 1100) had braided lines and Brembo calipers and they were fantastic but not one whit better than the brakes on my non-ABS 2013 STD. The brakes on the CB are superb.
You honestly feel the brakes on the stamndard are as good as the ABS on your Guzzi?
My Guzzi was also non-ABS. I don't dispute the advantages of ABS and I would have ABS on my CB if it had been available. I have been riding for nearly 50 years and have seen the great advances in brake technology evolve. Braided lines are a fine feature but I cannot believe that they would make any significant improvement in braking on this particular bike.
 
ff73148_imp said:
I appreciate everyone's opinion and I thank you. The reason I want ABS is because of the environment I ride in. I live in a high traffic area of NJ. I grew up riding in NYC. On a smaller and lighter bike ABS is the way to go. The technology is nothing new and should be on every bike. Do ss lines help? I believe they do. I say this from experience. I've been riding for 39 years. Does rider training help. Absolutely! Are the brakes on the standard sufficient. Probably. But if there is that one time that ABS will help me in a situation, I'll take it. My other ride is an F6B. It doesn't have ABS but the brakes are linked. Another feature that Honda could put on more bikes for better braking.
It's funny how this is different for every rider. Personally, I'm not a ABS fan. In fact, I considered the the ABS on my DLX the only strike against it; an unnecessary complication and expense. Who knows...maybe someday I'll have to maximum brake in the rain and I'll be happy it's there. I guess I'm one of those guys who believes that if I ever find myself in a position to require maximum braking and/or the magic that ABS promises to deliver, then shame on me :) I swear, in all my years of riding, including a 10,000 mile loop around the U.S., I've practiced max braking in parking lots and such but have never had to employ it on the road (knock on wood...)
 
Yes everyone is different. With regards to stainless steel brake lines " transforming" the bike ( as well as the "recommend tire of the day" and aftermarket rear shocks) I have tried all of the above over the years and find them never living up to the claim for me. I can't tell aftermarket shocks from stock, tires to me are tires, they roll, they turn they keep the shiny parts off the tarmac ( although some last longer for me than others) and stainless brake likes don't make my brakes feel any different. None of them "transformed" my bikes into anything they weren't before. Not saying YOU won't feel anything any different, but I certainly didn't, and felt foolish every time I sprung for expensive parts that seemingly made no difference. The only thing that has made any noticeable difference for me was a fork brace on my 750 Nighthawk, which cured a shimmy I was having. other than that I seem to get no benefit for spending money on expensive aftermarket stuff, which is why both of my CB1100s, and my ST 1300 have remained basically bone stock. I'd rather spend my money on gas, oil, and oem motorcycle consumables.

As far as ABS goes, my 13 CB didn't have it, my 14 CB does. That's how they came. Have not had to use it on the 14 yet, or had it activated that I could tell even though I have panic stopped a couple of times.

Note and I believe this is true contrary to certain published reports, the 13 and 14 ABS are different. The 13 is a 3 pot linked system and the 14 is a two pot non linked system.
 
You should try a set of the EBC HH pads, they made a difference in my brakes. I am planning on doing SS brake lines, but I am going to wait until next spring when the brake fluid is due for another change.
 
ff73148 you said it all in that one sentence: "If there is one time that ABS will help me in a situation I'll take it."

I'm a big fan of ABS, had it on several previous bikes, but I also own a '13 without it!

Buy what makes you happy and gives you peace of mind and don't worry about all the riders who will tell you they are either better, faster or smarter than an ABS system.
 
I've put stainless steel or braided lines on many bikes, mainly to achieve the right length, but don't find they offer any improvement over stock rubber covered lines. Withe either stainless or rubber covering, the brake fluid is contained in the same hard nylon line within. The stainless and rubber only provide abrasion protection.
My CB1100's brakes are as good as anything I've tried, giving lots of power and good lever feel.
 
And "good brakes" is a whole 'nuther animal from ABS brakes, too.
The front brakes on even my '13 standard model are excellent - and this comes from a guy who rode just about only sportbikes for over 30 years before buying the CB. They are strong, have good feel, and great bite. In fact, I remember reading in one of the bike's reviews that Honda used the same calipers that were used in one of its superbikes a few years back. I have no proof of that, but I can tell you that they haul this bike down from speed extremely well. Some may love/require ABS as well, and I won't argue that point here, but that's an aspect apart from the actual performance of the brakes otherwise.
My feeling is that you won't be disappointed, either way you decide. ;)
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I've put stainless steel or braided lines on many bikes, mainly to achieve the right length, but don't find they offer any improvement over stock rubber covered lines. Withe either stainless or rubber covering, the brake fluid is contained in the same hard nylon line within. The stainless and rubber only provide abrasion protection.
My CB1100's brakes are as good as anything I've tried, giving lots of power and good lever feel.
Yeah. I've read/heard from lots of people that most of the difference that people feel from SS lines is mostly from having a freshly and completely bled system after the install.
 
Back
Top