U.S.-spec 2017 CB1100 EX side cover question

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
If I recall correctly, the U.S. market has "hand-finished" brushed aluminum side covers, while some other markets get a silver painted version. Are our U.S.-spec side covers finished in a clear coat, or are they raw aluminum?

The reason I ask is I just picked up my bike today after getting new tires and front brake pads installed (during the ride home there was literally zero brake squeal, so fingers crossed that the new EBC HH sintered metal pads and CRC Brake Disc Quiet treatment have permanently eliminated this issue), and I noticed what looked like an enormous number of brand-new scratches on my left-side cover. The right-side cover is still perfect. Looking it over closely with the mechanic, we discovered that the scratches didn't feel like actual scratches. We couldn't feel any surface irregularities with our fingernails, which led him to wonder whether there is a clear coat over the aluminum, and perhaps the clear coat is cracking.

Sound plausible? If so, I assume this would be covered under warranty, right?
 
I'm under the impression that warranties don't usually cover paint/finishes. Someone else here is bound to know for sure.
 
Thread starter
Definitely not fine dirt. It looks like a bunch of cat scratches, in a spider-web pattern. The bike has to be in direct bright sunlight for the scratches to be visible. I'll try to take a picture sometime today.
 
I just took a side cover of my 2017 CB 1100 and yes they are aluminum and if you look very carefully you can see the HORIZONTAL brush marks. You can see them more clearly inside the cover.
There is no clear coat on them as far as I can see PERHAPS a very light satin clear coat but I do not think so.
Just compare the two side covers on your bike after you take them of and than you could see if one of them is scratched.
 
Thread starter
Houtman, there is zero doubt that the left side cover is scratched, while the right side cover is not scratched. The scratches are plain as day, and they're vertical, diagonal, angled, squiggly, etc. They're completely random, like the checking you see in the nitrocellulose finish on an older Gibson guitar.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Houtman, there is zero doubt that the left side cover is scratched, while the right side cover is not scratched. The scratches are plain as day, and they're vertical, diagonal, angled, squiggly, etc. They're completely random, like the checking you see in the nitrocellulose finish on an older Gibson guitar.
If this happened while at the dealer they should give you a new side cover !
 
They should, unless, of course, it's a Honda finish issue and they've crazed over time. In that case, in my view, Honda should replace it. But, I'll bet they'll fight it.
 
Thread starter
It wasn't a dealer, it was a local repair shop. He swears he never touched the side cover. "All I did was change the tires and front brake pads. I was never anywhere near the side of the bike."

I believe him. I also agree with Cormanus. Honda should replace it, but they probably will fight it. I checked the price of the cover. $143, tax included.

3660af32fdeb1e6fce19e776244aec41.


14cbb73ea7d81aae0e0ddcd5246c25ab.
 
Thread starter
Hmm. Apparently I've forgotten how to post pictures. I thought the ubb code was the jpeg address inside the bracketed img and /img. No?
 
No. You have to find the link in Imgur that ends in .jpg or it doesn’t work. I had a look at fixing it for you, but it’s hard from a tablet. As I recall it’s impossible to do from the app and maybe even the mobile website.
 
Thread starter
Oh, and fwiw, the brake squeal is still there. I rode a bit more today, and it started popping up again, just like before. New pads, filed the edges, everything was cleaned off, No Brake Squeal treatment applied...no difference. This is three tries now, including two attempts by a Honda dealer.

In one of my earlier reviews I concluded that this bike has only one uncorrectable flaw, as delivered from the manufacturer: a lack of hp and torque necessary to pull hard at higher elevations. To this, I will now add the brake squeal issue. It seems that the only way it will be fixed is if Honda goes the Triumph Bonneville T120 route, in which they addressed the problem for the bike's second model year by adding large rubber dampers to the inside of the brake rotors.
 
Bummer about the brake squeal.

Here’s the image

c8aba7457c18aecd766564a7b9e6b799.jpg

Its hard to know, but it looks like it’s been scratched by something.
 
Thread starter
4da33c28333cc88d40ecc31da2c5a4e2.jpg


Okay, that worked.

Thanks again, Cormanus.

Anyway, there are many more scratches than those few there that I was able to catch in that picture. When I expand the picture on my phone I can see them more clearly, but still there are many more that I simply don't seem to be able to catch on camera.
 
That angled one on the left looks like something has dug in quite deeply.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, yes, they sure do look like normal scratches, but when I run my fingernail across them everything is smooth as silk. No interruptions at all. I don't know what to make of it.

I'll just spend the $143 and get a new cover, or live with this one the way it is, mickey-style. Either way, it's not a big deal. The brake squealing is far more annoying. I've owned twenty-five bikes and ridden countless more, and this is the first time I've ever experienced this on a motorcycle. Cars, sure, all the time, but never on a bike. For it to be this bike, especially considering the level of attention paid by Honda to the '17 EX's overall fit and finish, is not only very surprising, but hugely disappointing.

It's the only issue on an otherwise mechanically flawless machine. I want it gone.
 
I’m with Mickey. I’d live with it. US$143 would buy a couple of beers at least with change for some new guitar strings. But, I agree, it is disappointing.

I’ve said before that I’m not persuaded by all the praise for Honda’s alleged fit and finish. I’ve some rust around the lower triple tree which is not acceptable and should not be there. Motorbikes get wet and he materials used should be fit for purpose and they’re clearly not. I’ve also got plenty of ‘fin rot’ (flaking engine paint) which I think is also an example of poor quality.

I never wanted a garage queen and it makes me less stressed about where I ride it. Still, it could be more robust than it is.
 
Hi Cormanus - off topic slightly but I've had the lower fork brace rust from 2013 - can't understand why its painted steel - ran some ACF50 in there 2 or 3 years ago and it hasn't rusted since - but - the fin rot has taken over the whole of the cylinder barrels and not sure what to do about that.
John
 
Perfection even if obtainable, is rarely sustainable. Look at all the stress you are putting yourself through. You've owned 25 bikes, doubt this one will be the last one. it will eventually be sold or traded away like the previous 24. Ride more, worry less.

My CB 1100 squeals sometimes, my FJR squeals sometimes. As long as it stops rolling in a timely manner, it is what it is.
 
Thread starter
mickey, my VFRs, STs and CBRs never had any brake squeal. Neither does my XSR. Neither did my Triumph, or any of my BMWs, or the half dozen Suzukis. Ditto, my Kawasakis and other Yamahas.

It's just this one Honda. Similar to the Triumph T120 in its first year, and Triumph fixed it for the subsequent model year. That's what I want: a permanent fix.

Riding home last night, I came to a stop sign. My brakes squealed. A moment later, a KTM Super Duke R rolled up beside me. No brake squeal. We gave each other the obligatory nod. When the light turned green, he effortlessly vaporized me, even though I gave my throttle a full twist. As he vanished into the distance, I noted that he was sitting straight up, just like my seating position, and his legs were less folded up than mine were. He had a very nice, clean-looking pair of saddlebags mounted to the shapely tailsection. That fat 17" rear tire looked great, and the motor sounded tremendous.

I was envious. I told myself to ignore it. "Different styles of bikes...that KTM costs a fortune...more expensive insurance...more expensive maintenance...it's probably less reliable...." All the usual rationalizations.

The brake squeal was the one difference I couldn't rationalize away. It bothered the crap outta me the rest of the ride home.
 
Back
Top