Tubeless tires

Flynrider_imp said:
It may be my imagination or failing memory, but I recall reading that tube rims and tubeless rims have different bead properties (i.e. differently angled beads). And that tubeless rims had extra bumps in the bead area to keep a tubeless tire's bead from moving inward.
I am under that impression too , perhaps tubeless tires ok on a tubed rim but not the other way around ?
 
I don't know about motorcycles, but I'm sure I've seen punctures in tubeless tyres on cars fixed simply by putting in a tube.
 
At the shop I go to the head mechanic is running a tube in the rear tire on his Goldwing, and suggested a tube to me when I punctured a new PR4 GT with 2600 miles on it on my ST. I opted for a new tire since I have 83 degree valve stems.
 
CA200, you know about this stuff. Can you put a tube in a tubeless tyre on a rim designed for a tubed tyre?
 
Did anyone get a definitive on whether the rim on the 2017 EX model will safely support a tubless tyre fitted with the inner tube? I just looked up the cost of the Honda official OEM tyre. Front €729/€60 and Rear €841/€58 tyre and inner tube respectively. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT! The actual wheels are cheaper.
 
I put the OEM Dunlop's on my 2017 , including inners . Not cheap but still a lot cheaper than in Ireland ! Could you get them somewhere else or perhaps look into the OUTEX conversions.
 
Tev62_imp said:
Did anyone get a definitive on whether the rim on the 2017 EX model will safely support a tubless tyre fitted with the inner tube? I just looked up the cost of the Honda official OEM tyre. Front €729/€60 and Rear €841/€58 tyre and inner tube respectively. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT! The actual wheels are cheaper.
Consider checking the Japanese CB1100 forum site.

Outex is Japanese. The CB1100 is, well, ... popular over there too. Might get lucky.
 
Several members of the forum have done the outer conversion.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I put the OEM Dunlop's on my 2017 , including inners . Not cheap but still a lot cheaper than in Ireland ! Could you get them somewhere else or perhaps look into the OUTEX conversions.
I'm going to have to look at that. The bike is not imported into Ireland and this is the Honda UK price. It is truly disappointing, had I known this I would not of purchased this bike, that is just nonsensical. I have to say this has really taken the goodness out of owning this bike.
 
In the past I have looked at tires in the UK like Road Smart 3 as we would not have
them in the USA and some independent tire dealers prices were not bad at all with their prices.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I put the OEM Dunlop's on my 2017 , including inners . Not cheap but still a lot cheaper than in Ireland ! Could you get them somewhere else or perhaps look into the OUTEX conversions.
Now I am confused, earlier in this blog sb seemed to say there are no Dunlops in the U.S. at all, and you say above you installed them, where did you find them or did you import in the end ?
 
I got my 2017 Dunlop's from my local Honda dealer (MR in Asheville ) It seems that for a certain time the OEM tires for the 2017 CB 1100 was a Honda item only , probably now a "normal " item .
 
Could anyone explain the tire codes to me which Honda uses in the user manual ? Here is what I read
110/80R18 M/C 58V
140/70R18 M/C 67V
The first part 110/80R18 I do understand, what about the rest ?
Thanks
 
j3gq_imp said:
Could anyone explain the tire codes to me which Honda uses in the user manual ? Here is what I read
110/80R18 M/C 58V
140/70R18 M/C 67V
The first part 110/80R18 I do understand, what about the rest ?
Thanks
M/C means motorcycle

The number is a weight code can't say from the top of my head what is 58 and what 67, probably somewhere between 250-300kg (edit because I consulted a chart 58=230kg load, 67=307kg load)

V is a speed code 240km/h max

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
OK, I'm feeling a little better now. I was getting focussed on finding a specific tyre marked as "tubed". It seems some of the selectors are recommending their tyres for the EX and the inner tube is retained.

Dunlop list the Roadsmart III as suitable for the EX and Bridgestone select the T31. I've calmed down now! I don't mind tubed tyres, I just thought I was backed into a corner having to specifically buy a tyre marked as tubed and Honda were the only supplier at their outrageous prices. Panic over.



 
tod.branko_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Could anyone explain the tire codes to me which Honda uses in the user manual ? Here is what I read
110/80R18 M/C 58V
140/70R18 M/C 67V
The first part 110/80R18 I do understand, what about the rest ?
Thanks
M/C means motorcycle

The number is a weight code can't say from the top of my head what is 58 and what 67, probably somewhere between 250-300kg (edit because I consulted a chart 58=230kg load, 67=307kg load)

V is a speed code 240km/h max

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
M/C means motorcycle

The number is a weight code can't say from the top of my head what is 58 and what 67, probably somewhere between 250-300kg (edit because I consulted a chart 58=230kg load, 67=307kg load)

V is a speed code 240km/h max

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Thanks ! What still puzzles me is when I go to one of the online motorcycle tire shops, they often show M/C, but sometimes other codes such as T/T etc. Is there more to it ?
 
Back
Top