Triumphs genuis ad campaign

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
Has anybody else noticed this happening? I suppose it depends on how much TV you watch, which I don't, but I do end up staring at a TV idly while i'm at the gym, and I've noticed around 7 or 8 different advertisements playing on TV that feature a triumph motorcycle. Here's the kicker though: the ads aren't for triumph. One is for Geico, one is for a hair product, one is for a pharmaceutical, one is for a credit reporting app, ect ect.

It seems Triumph is loaning their motorcycles out to every ad producing company on television. This can't be a coincidence. It's as if their new ad campaign is to make their motorcycles appear on television as often as possible. They're probably offering the bikes on loan for free on the condition that the commercial include one or two shots where you can clearly see what bike it is. One of the ads even had the new Daytona in it.

I love this...it's basically free for Triumph, they get tons of exposure, and the ad campaigns are using the bikes to make the person in the ad look cool and successful. I guess what i'm saying is, has anybody else noticed this or am I the only one in the tinfoil hat?
 
I've been noticing this for quite a long time. Nothing to do with Triumph, just good product placement in TV ads, TV shows and in many movies.
The Bonneville models in particular get a lot of exposure and seem to symbolize what an ordinary person would look like on a standard looking motorcycle.
Since I own a Bonneville, it always makes me smile when I see the bikes on screens.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Has anybody else noticed this happening? I suppose it depends on how much TV you watch, which I don't, but I do end up staring at a TV idly while i'm at the gym, and I've noticed around 7 or 8 different advertisements playing on TV that feature a triumph motorcycle. Here's the kicker though: the ads aren't for triumph. One is for Geico, one is for a hair product, one is for a pharmaceutical, one is for a credit reporting app, ect ect.

It seems Triumph is loaning their motorcycles out to every ad producing company on television. This can't be a coincidence. It's as if their new ad campaign is to make their motorcycles appear on television as often as possible. They're probably offering the bikes on loan for free on the condition that the commercial include one or two shots where you can clearly see what bike it is. One of the ads even had the new Daytona in it.

I love this...it's basically free for Triumph, they get tons of exposure, and the ad campaigns are using the bikes to make the person in the ad look cool and successful. I guess what i'm saying is, has anybody else noticed this or am I the only one in the tinfoil hat?
I have noticed...and I've noticed other commercials that have two loosely related products appear--I think one was for detergent and the other for M&Ms or something like that, you know: "got yummy M&M chocolate on your clothes? Tide will wash it out". I remember thinking, that's different.

I'd say you're very likely right that it's not a coincidence, but I would be surprised if the main ad company is doing this for free for Triumph.

Since Triumph bikes appear in multiple commercials, I imagine they are the ones who approached the other companies with the idea: "we think your ads will be more attractive with a Triumph bike in it". Main ad company at this point responds "we like your idea, and we'll use your bikes for X% of the production cost" (or a flat fee), and then they negotiate from there.

If that's not how it played out, then the main ad company missed an opportunity to make some money. Secondary ad placement for free? Not sure if that's the case.

But dual ads...from a marketing standpoint, creative and fun to do.
 
I live near a neighborhood that is frequently used for filming TV shows and commercials. Sort of an "Everytown, USA" look. I've watched them film countless commercials, and in fact, I've been used as an extra in a few of them just by hanging around. I have a theory.

A large percentage of people who produce and direct are hipsters. Hipsters like Triumphs. It would follow that Triumphs would be used in their productions.

Disclaimer: Not all Triumph owners are hipsters. As such, I am not identifying myself or any Triumph owners on the forum as hipsters.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I live near a neighborhood that is frequently used for filming TV shows and commercials. Sort of an "Everytown, USA" look. I've watched them film countless commercials, and in fact, I've been used as an extra in a few of them just by hanging around. I have a theory.

A large percentage of people who produce and direct are hipsters. Hipsters like Triumphs. It would follow that Triumphs would be used in their productions.

Disclaimer: Not all Triumph owners are hipsters. As such, I am not identifying myself or any Triumph owners on the forum as hipsters.
:rofl: at age 82 I don't know if I'm a hipster or not - or even what it is :D :D :D

Probably a "with it, in the moment, up-to-date, cool" type of person.
 
Or, in this case, "I didn't get to live through the 60s or ride Bonnevilles with Steve McQueen, but I can now."

Ok, I ride one because Steve McQueen did. So I might be a hipster. Fine.
 
Rocky, keep going...I just heard about 93 y o US citizen and WWII veteran (3 y in all Pacific battles + Iwo Jima) who got a car speeding ticket...Judge cancelled his conviction due to perfect driving record and his WWII continues service !!
Stay in good health ++
:biker:
 
Rocky_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I live near a neighborhood that is frequently used for filming TV shows and commercials. Sort of an "Everytown, USA" look. I've watched them film countless commercials, and in fact, I've been used as an extra in a few of them just by hanging around. I have a theory.

A large percentage of people who produce and direct are hipsters. Hipsters like Triumphs. It would follow that Triumphs would be used in their productions.

Disclaimer: Not all Triumph owners are hipsters. As such, I am not identifying myself or any Triumph owners on the forum as hipsters.
:rofl: at age 82 I don't know if I'm a hipster or not - or even what it is :D :D :D

Probably a "with it, in the moment, up-to-date, cool" type of person.
Describes me to a tee :rofl:


NOT ;)
 
Just some thoughts why they're in the media so much.
They look and sound like a motorcycle (which is why I still have my 2004 Bonnie).
Everyone likes them, hipsters, old farts.
If a 5 year old draws a motorbike, chances are, it will look like a Triumph.
Some Harley owners hate Japanese bikes, some Japanese bike owners hate Harleys. But it seems nobody has any reason to hate Triumphs.
And is there a better, more descriptive, more glorious, name than Triumph?:)
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Just some thoughts why they're in the media so much.
They look and sound like a motorcycle (which is why I still have my 2004 Bonnie).
Everyone likes them, hipsters, old farts.
If a 5 year old draws a motorbike, chances are, it will look like a Triumph.
Some Harley owners hate Japanese bikes, some Japanese bike owners hate Harleys. But it seems nobody has any reason to hate Triumphs.
And is there a better, more descriptive, more glorious, name than Triumph?:)
i would like to believe that the answer is as simple as this, but the thing that makes me believe it's a conspiracy is the fact that in every ad there are very clearly one or two well-framed shots where you can not only tell it's a triumph but you can tell which triumph model it is. the ad company has no reason to hit these shots so perfectly, other that to satisfy some directive to show the viewer the bike, even if only for a few seconds total. I believe this to be the quid-pro-quo for triumph providing the bike. The ad company gets a bike for free or for a very good deal, triumph gets free subliminal advertisement.
 
I'm sure that Triumph pays plenty for the product placement. But at it's core, it helps to be recognized as a popular bike. Most of those ads might not be as widely accepted/perceived if it was a bike that wasn't as broad-spectrum. Imagine the same ad with an Africa Twin, a V-Rod, a crotch rocket, and the effect would not be the same.
 
just saw one in an Ibrance medication commercial, although in the Geico commercial I watched earlier the guy was riding some kind of Honda cruiser I think.
 
Triumph makes sense as a universally recognizable brand/bike style as HD. You are probably right: There is probably a business collaboration behind the funding of the advertisement.

Lately I have seen other commercials involving old Honda Shadows of the 80's. I doubt it was promoting Honda though - but just a classic street bike style instead to get somebody's heart to throb a bit, draw out the romance to entice interest in the commercial product/service.
 
To the point:

Someone posted here, or in another forum, a lengthy story about the likelihood that Harley Davidson can, or will, survive, as its’ obvious demographic ages and dies. It was carried nationally in some well-known publication. The most salient point regarding the initial post-WWII period HD popularity was the free advertising generated by Marlon Brando in “The Wild Ones”. Every returning soldier wanting to “Live Free” was captivated by the lifestyle the movie portrayed. According to the story. Written by, I assume, a millenial.

But Brando was actually riding a 1950 Triumph. You probably knew that...

Because you are a rider...not a poser!
 
My clear favorite commercial right now featuring a Triumph is the Progressive Insurance "Motaur". Not obvious that his lower half is a Bonneville unless you really know your Bonnevilles...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
My clear favorite commercial right now featuring a Triumph is the Progressive Insurance "Motaur". Not obvious that his lower half is a Bonneville unless you really know your Bonnevilles...
It's a silly concept, but as a Bonneville owner I noticed the bike model right away.
I'm still wondering how the bike stays upright with no obvious side stand or center stand :D :D
 
No, Rocky. That's not the question. The question is, do you mind not being a Motaur?
 
Rocky_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
My clear favorite commercial right now featuring a Triumph is the Progressive Insurance "Motaur". Not obvious that his lower half is a Bonneville unless you really know your Bonnevilles...
It's a silly concept, but as a Bonneville owner I noticed the bike model right away.
I'm still wondering how the bike stays upright with no obvious side stand or center stand :D :D
It's a silly concept, but as a Bonneville owner I noticed the bike model right away.
I'm still wondering how the bike stays upright with no obvious side stand or center stand :D :D
Waait.... you're looking at a half-man, half-motorcycle, and your question is about the sidestand? :s
 
Back
Top