triple tree Rust (not the Fork Brace)

LiveToRide_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
About 6 months after buying my CB the fork brace started rusting. I'm in the Pacific northwest and it is a bit moist here and I'm by the ocean but the bike is kept in a dry shed. Honda replaced the brace and here it is about 9 months later and it's rusting just like the 1st one. I haven't been back to the dealer yet to see if they will do anything about it this time. I've started keeping a coat of WD40 on it hoping it will keep it from getting worse. Anyone else run into this issue?
 
LTR, I've had a similar problem. Haven't really come up with a solution.
 
Would you post a picture of it when you get a chance? I'm also in the Pacific Northwest and wondering what I should keep coated. thanks
 
I'm assuming you guys have had other bikes in the past. Has this happened to you before, maybe due to where you're located, or just with this bike?
 
Way too small. I can't see anything from those.
 
I had those problems living right on the gulf. I spray all the those areas with Motul shine and go wipe off and have not had a problem. I know this works because the guy that loves around the block further from the water has the same rust and he does nothing to prevent it I guess you could use WD-40 as I used that 5 years ago and it worked fine.
 
I've had rust under the chromed triple trees of both my Fury and my long-gone 1100 Shadow. Not nice. When I see it I usually remove the rust with a chrome/cleaner/wax. This seems to keep it at bay for while (but I haven't really obsessed over it enough to know for sure).
 
Seems to be a common problem. Mine started to show rust after about 12 months. Painted some rust converter over it and the touched it up with some new silver paint. Now I have noticed that the oil cooler pipes have developed rust where they connect to the cooler. The engine fins are showing signs of paint peeling now so I will need to touch them up as well.
 
LiveToRide_imp said:
About 6 months after buying my CB the fork brace started rusting. I'm in the Pacific northwest and it is a bit moist here and I'm by the ocean but the bike is kept in a dry shed. Honda replaced the brace and here it is about 9 months later and it's rusting just like the 1st one. I haven't been back to the dealer yet to see if they will do anything about it this time. I've started keeping a coat of WD40 on it hoping it will keep it from getting worse. Anyone else run into this issue?
Remove rust as described in the posts above and then spray with Corrosion Block.

Problem gone.

Cheers
 
I discovered a spot of rust on my lower triple-clamp - is this what you're calling a fork brace? It was right directly next to and touching the fork tube so I assume galvanic corrosion may be the culprit. I rubbed it off with my finger. I live in San Diego, but about 5 miles from the ocean, and the bike is garaged at all times.
 
ACF50 is about the best rust preventative you can get it will stop existing rust in it's tracks. It is particularly good in areas like the triple trees.

Pete
 
VOZZA_imp said:
ACF50 is about the best rust preventative you can get it will stop existing rust in it's tracks. It is particularly good in areas like the triple trees.

Pete
It is. And the link to that product is in post#14.

Cheers
 
Back
Top