Touring with a CB1100

TCBronson_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Does anybody use their CB1100 for long distance touring? If so what modifications did you do to make it more comfortable? Pictures and descriptions of what you did and why would be very much appreciated.
 
What kind of touring are you speaking of? Every night in a hotel or camping off the road? That would make a difference. Max "touring" I've done is 1200-1400 miles in a 3-4 day extended weekend. I camp off the bike so I haul all my gear with me. I have some very high end backpacking equipment (light/small) and without a rack I was pretty squeezed for space even for my gear. I purchased the Honda rack and along with my soft panniers and larger tank bag have all the space I need now. I run with a Dart Fly screen and it does what I need it to do. keeps the bugs off the gauge cluster, slightly reduces chest pressure and keeps my helmet in a clean wind stream. As you can see in the pic there's still a lot of space behind the cafe seat seating area to put a monstrous duffel etc. Tank bag is my large one but even it can be expanded to add another 1/3rd capacity from what you see in the picture. So, at a BARE minimum I would say you need to buy a rack of some type and a set a panniers. The CB performs admirably in my opinion in the role of a 'nakit' sport-tourer

4e61b27bf63605da4cde481cddc36436.jpg
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
What kind of touring are you speaking of? Every night in a hotel or camping off the road? That would make a difference. Max "touring" I've done is 1200-1400 miles in a 3-4 day extended weekend. I camp off the bike so I haul all my gear with me. I have some very high end backpacking equipment (light/small) and without a rack I was pretty squeezed for space even for my gear. I purchased the Honda rack and along with my soft panniers and larger tank bag have all the space I need now. I run with a Dart Fly screen and it does what I need it to do. keeps the bugs off the gauge cluster, slightly reduces chest pressure and keeps my helmet in a clean wind stream. As you can see in the pic there's still a lot of space behind the cafe seat seating area to put a monstrous duffel etc. Tank bag is my large one but even it can be expanded to add another 1/3rd capacity from what you see in the picture. So, at a BARE minimum I would say you need to buy a rack of some type and a set a panniers. The CB performs admirably in my opinion in the role of a 'nakit' sport-tourer

4e61b27bf63605da4cde481cddc36436.jpg
Nice looking bike and that is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
 
There's my CB loaded for touring. I have a top box; the rest of my gear (including camping gear) goes in bags in front of it. I have no panniers or tank bag; nor do I have a windshield of any sort. I covered 7,500 kms on the trip on which this photo was taken. I'm about to do something similar so it works OK for me.

b49e067a605f865ac5b8d1c61555e6e9.jpg
 
Does anybody use their CB1100 for long distance touring?
Yes

If so what modifications did you do to make it more comfortable?
I have a post-ride cocktail and sleep in a bed (Did recently add a Honda rear rack, but that's about it on the comfort mods)

Pictures and descriptions of what you did and why would be very much appreciated.

 
This was my CB last year in Italy, doing ~3,800 km in one week:
ed6c89e9d3665fa948ef3cb1fabfda55.jpg


I rode a saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours) on the CB to get down there from Germany to Italy. Then I explored the Toscana and the Appenin for 5 days, before heading home again.

For the nights, there was bed&breakfast or a hotel room. So, not that much luggage was necessary.
 
Just finished a long-ish trip from OR to Illinois and back. 5500 miles, 3 weeks. Additions...motech crash bars and hiway pegs. I used the hiway pegs about 4-5% of the time, but they made a huge difference to have another position.
f4842c901df207a3bb20ac88811b2e9b.jpg


Other than that, saddle bags, and another on the back seat, strapped down with bungees and straps. And a seat pad...or 3. I'm 6'4" and the extra height of the pads helped with knee space, not so much an issue for 3 hour ride, but huge for 13, 10hr rides!
e513bff3925e8c9bf117134ae765b6e3.jpg
 
Heading out in the AM for a week or so of riding, no panniers, just a small duffel strapped across the passenger seat and my rain/cool weather gear on the Honda rack. Tank bag has water, snacks, and misc items.
I travel light.
If camping I would have panniers for hammock, tarp, and food prep.
Traveled for a decade on an air cooled in line 4 cylinder Honda and covered lots of miles.
It's all up to you.
 
I went 4000 miles this summer and camped along the way. I moved my turn signals, added a Honda rack, top box, saddle bags, crash bars, and highway pegs. The link in my signature shows the details. There are a few posts that detail my trip on here too.

7685f2eab612d085f939c370346372e6.jpg


ba0617f40b42508f710ce04347c5fc17.jpg


4730e776a3cacc13eab470e1a57ef350.jpg


e627729ce908764b8cdd61b4f1880da9.jpg


9392b51cccd657fb8362824b1573a7f7.jpg
 
In January, I traveled 10 days on my bike going through 4 states.
Only accessory added was this windshield. What a life saver, considering how cold the mornings and evenings got while riding on the interstate. hands and upper legs remained quite warm. Stayed in Motel/house every night.
7e364f084a051f4364b1dfb490f6b492.jpg


I only used a duffel bag to carry all my belongings, and strapped it down on the back seat. It started out rather empty, w/ minimal items like motel clothes, toiletries, wool liner, winter jacket, rain gear, spare riding gloves, walking shoes, Laptop, 12v air pump, tire plugs, fuses, voltmeter, lithium battery pack, hand tools. I wore my walking clothes underneath my riding suit.
0f46d38b0841c0e549d1117430e3be01.jpg

....but along the way my duffel bag increased in size, ultimately, looking like this enroute back to home.
79cbb39f497203c89cd7aeea36e84fbf.jpg

Contents added:
extra walking clothes, headwear, mittens,
souvenirs & gifts & booze bought along the way.

Having experienced how practical traveling minimalistically can be, I'm
sold on just using a single duffel bag here on out, & sleeping in a motel simplifies this option.
What I'd do differently next time is to ship items I don't need/want to haul back home.
 
jedd_imp said:
In January, I traveled 10 days on my bike going through 4 states.
Only accessory added was this windshield. What a life saver, considering how cold the mornings and evenings got while riding on the interstate. hands and upper legs remained quite warm. Stayed in Motel/house every night.
7e364f084a051f4364b1dfb490f6b492.jpg


I only used a duffel bag to carry all my belongings, and strapped it down on the back seat. It started out rather empty, w/ minimal items like motel clothes, toiletries, wool liner, winter jacket, rain gear, spare riding gloves, walking shoes, Laptop, 12v air pump, tire plugs, fuses, voltmeter, lithium battery pack, hand tools. I wore my walking clothes underneath my riding suit.
0f46d38b0841c0e549d1117430e3be01.jpg

....but along the way my duffel bag increased in size, ultimately, looking like this enroute back to home.
79cbb39f497203c89cd7aeea36e84fbf.jpg

Contents added:
extra walking clothes, headwear, mittens,
souvenirs & gifts & booze bought along the way.

Having experienced how practical traveling minimalistically can be, I'm
sold on just using a single duffel bag here on out, & sleeping in a motel simplifies this option.
What I'd do differently next time is to ship items I don't need/want to haul back home.
What make/model windshield is that? Looks nice and big, but also appears to use two-place mounting without putting anything on the forks.
 
Back
Top