the Ferret
Road warrior
Pretty bike and really nice bags. Congrats!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Chief, it's a parallel twin with a 360° firing order. Are you new to motorcycling?Rboe_imp said:Please tell me there is an annoy buzz right at your favorite cruising speed...... :angel:

I'm new to motorcycling. What's a 360° firing order? Does it mean a cylinder goes <BANG> every time the crankshaft goes around? :-/Stichill_imp said:Chief, it's a parallel twin with a 360° firing order. Are you new to motorcycling?Rboe_imp said:Please tell me there is an annoy buzz right at your favorite cruising speed...... :angel:
"...annoy buzz..."? That's a rather subjective characterization. It's only annoying if you despise torque and horsepower on tap in virtually every gear at virtually every speed and don't like the inherent visceral mechanical nature of motorcycles.
:rofl:Cormanus_imp said:I'm new to motorcycling. What's a 360° firing order? Does it mean a cylinder goes <BANG> every time the crankshaft goes around? :-/Stichill_imp said:Chief, it's a parallel twin with a 360° firing order. Are you new to motorcycling?Rboe_imp said:Please tell me there is an annoy buzz right at your favorite cruising speed...... :angel:
"...annoy buzz..."? That's a rather subjective characterization. It's only annoying if you despise torque and horsepower on tap in virtually every gear at virtually every speed and don't like the inherent visceral mechanical nature of motorcycles.
I also like the dealer's sticker in one of the early pictures that says "Sold. Sorry."
Sorry? I'll bet they're not. Why doesn't it say "Sold. Great news!"
Pretty much. From a vibration aspect having a cylinder fire on each revolution also means that they are both traveling up and down in unison. When one is firing, the other is on the intake stroke, but they're both moving up and down together which leads to a primary vibration. I've ridden parallel twins that had counter balancers that supposedly offset this vibration, but they tended to have minimal effect.Cormanus_imp said:I'm new to motorcycling. What's a 360° firing order? Does it mean a cylinder goes <BANG> every time the crankshaft goes around? :-/Stichill_imp said:Chief, it's a parallel twin with a 360° firing order. Are you new to motorcycling?Rboe_imp said:Please tell me there is an annoy buzz right at your favorite cruising speed...... :angel:
"...annoy buzz..."? That's a rather subjective characterization. It's only annoying if you despise torque and horsepower on tap in virtually every gear at virtually every speed and don't like the inherent visceral mechanical nature of motorcycles.
I also like the dealer's sticker in one of the early pictures that says "Sold. Sorry."
Sorry? I'll bet they're not. Why doesn't it say "Sold. Great news!"

180 degrees is another alternative design. While the power pulses are uneven, the primary vibration issue (from the movement of the pistons) pretty much disappears. The 180 degree system was used on the smaller CBs originally. Then Honda seemed to favor the 360s for awhile (late 70s to 80s), now they've gone back to 180 degrees for all the parallel twins except for the CTX700. One of the benefits of the 360 twins was that a single ignition system could serve both cylinders (one set of points, one coil). The 180s required separate systems for each cylinder.Cormanus_imp said:Thank you, Flyn. And you Django. I was writing and figuring while you were posting.
Funny how people's brains work. I've always had a very rudimentary idea of how an engine works, but I'd never really tried to visualize it. I find incredibly hard—the imaginative equivalent of patting my head and rubbing my tummy.
Am I right that the alternative is called a 180° firing order? One piston goes up as the other goes down? Won't that result in a rotation where there's a <BANG> on two consecutive half turns and then nothing for a full turn? That would bring about its own vibration issues too, wouldn't it?