Touring: CB1100 vs. F800GT

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
This may strike some of you as hilarious but my current (and first) bike is a 2012 CBR250R that I have set up for touring. It fulfills its role nicely for the most part. Where it falls short is on the interstate (not speed; it will hold 85 mph but it simply wears you out after a couple of hours due to high revs and getting pushed around by vortexes near semis), passing power on two-lane highways, and heading up long grades and/or into a strong headwind. 98% of the time these shortcomings are of no consequence as I ride the deserted twisty backroads of Kentucky, but I take longer tours a couple weeks a year. My riding pals sometimes consider destination more than the ride and want to bust off interstate or highway miles at high speed.







Anyhoo...entering my fourth riding season with the CBR250R, the finance minister has approved the acquisition of an additional bike.

Here's where my heart/head is at:

The CB1100 really pulls at my heartstrings and is just so unbelievably beautiful. I think it is the best-looking bike ever made except for the classic British twins. It is also a pleasure to ride despite its excessive weight. It does not come equipped for touring but I imagine effective aftermarket windshields/fairings and hardbags are available. I have one dealer close to where I work and another (larger, more professional) one about an hour away. My reservations for touring mainly revolve around the chain (however I can live with it), the valve clearance inspection interval (7,000 miles), and potential cost and pitfalls (mechanic botching) of adjusting shim-under-bucket considering cam removal is required. Also I worry about air cooling in summer traffic. On the plus side, I think I would yank the fairing and bags and really enjoy the CB1100 on a daily basis.

The BMW F800GT appeals to my intellect. Very similar rake and trail to my CBR250R, with a similar riding position (I have Helibars on my bike). Equipping it for touring is an exercise in optional adders. I fear for my wallet and my closest dealer is two hours' ride away. However it is very light (only 100 lbs. more than my 250) and promises potential for spirited rather than relaxed riding in the twisties. On the downside...the bike is sporty but somewhat odd-looking and just doesn't seem like a bike that inspires passion. It seems like a bike intended to hold you over until you "upgrade" to an R1200RT. That being said, I could see this bike being a great weekend day-tripper or two-day-tripper.

Another draw to the BMW is the low and ultra-low seat options as I have a 29" inseam. Suffice to say that I am on the balls or toes of my feet even on the CBR250R. The CB1100 puts me a little higher (still manageable) but I have a Japanese friend who told me that lower seats are sold in Japan. These can be seen in some of the early CB1100 pictures of bikes sold outside of the US.

If funds were no object...I'd take both bikes. But I would like to solicit experiences and opinions from those here who do lay down serious miles on their CB1100 and can report objectively on its suitability as a touring machine.
 
Those are three different bikes - with three different purposes.

Your Honda 250, although you can tour with it...it's no highway machine. As you note. What's worth thinking about is that these others are very-different in terms of what they offer and what they do not.

I never rode a BMW F series. The F GSs look like mini-me R1200GSs...and a lot of what to me is the BMW draw wasn't there. Conventional engine, contracted out to Rotax; chain drive. But hey! you get a BMW roundel; and STYLING that looks like the R GS...

Is it a good bike in its own right? That is for others to decide. It IS a dual-sport; which means it's a compromise. You are not shielded from the elements so much; and you are higher up. Good for spring rates. Bad for crosswinds. The saddle height is lower? That IS a surprise; because the R1200GS was so much HIGHER.

The CB1100 is a day-cruiser. It is not, without a lot of aftermarket parts, a touring bike. Naked bikes are hard on the body; and are not much fun above 70 mph - and in this case, with the breadloaf saddle, there's the real fear of getting blown right off.

The engine, big as it is, is happiest at about 65. It'll go much faster; but the buzzing starts, while the wind assaults. Nope, no death wobble.

To tour, you would have to find a fairing setup; fit it for saddlebags - and blending them with the styling will be a challenge. A better seat is recommended; but I don't know what's worth buying. One thing is for sure...it'll tote the lading.

Frankly, to me, much of the appeal of this machine is its throwback UJM styling. Wrap it all up in fairings and panniers and it's just another bike...and probably not as good a road machine as one more designed for this in mind.

I am not trying to talk you out of it - just be aware, what you buy here is the retro package. You can get a big engine on other machines...perhaps even secondhand and much cheaper.
 
Your CBR250R is an excellent machine. I would be proud to have one myself.

Regarding your decision between a CB1100 and an F 800 GT, I don't understand being limited to those two choices.

I have considerable familiarity with the roads of Kentucky and Kentucky-like places. I would also be considering the Honda NC700X and the BMW F 700 GS.

I like my CB1100 a lot, but it lacks the rough road capability that I swore my next bike would have. (Umm. I hope a certain rider named Pterodactyl doesn't read this line...)

I do understand your need to go bigger than your 250. Good luck finding the bike that's right for you. There are so many good choices out there these days. (Did I mention the Ducati Scrambler...)
 
Whenever I wonder about another motorcycle, I google " issues with X bike" and usually an owners forum pops up, like ours. They are the ones living with a bike day in and day out. I just did it for the BMW F800 GT. being a man made machine of course there will be some issues ( we see a few as well). I have to assume you have done the same as research. There is an F800 riders forum

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bmw...es&start=0

I have taken 2 multi day, multi state trips on my Cb1100s ( and I am about to take another one in a couple weeks) and they did great. Chain was not an issue. Never needed adjustment, just a lube mid week. Shields are available as are hard and soft luggage. Since I have a dedicated touring bike, I prefer to set up my CB as more a sport tourer with soft luggage, easily removed when not on a trip.However excellent hard luggage is available for it.

Btw have you read any of the reports of the Belgian couple traveling the world on a pair of CB1100s?

Here are a couple of my ride reports

[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/60947/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4083



Mens fall ride 2013


BRP, the Dragon and more part 1


BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2


And might I suggest Reading ANY of the awesome ride reports By Empty Sea, Cormanus or Pterodactyl in the seat time section of the forum.

I can't tell you how good of a middle weight tourer the BMW F800 GT , but I can tell you the CB1100 will do the job day after day, mile after mile, year after year, without even breathing hard.
 
First off..BS on the 250 not being a highway machine. It's not without drawbacks as noted, but it works just fine on the highway. I rode mine all over the place before I got my CB. While we're at it, BS on screens, fairings, saddlebags, as requirements to tour on the CB. Oh, and one more thing, never noticed buzzing over 65, never felt like I was being blown off it, and I got used to the seat. I have 15,000 miles on mine with no windscreen. Two week long trips to NC/Tenn, Two weekend trips to Wisconsin, and another week planned to the Ozarks. Most folks like a screen for touring, but it's fine without it. I'll let someone else comment on the ergos, the chain, and the maintence, but none of them have been a barrier to my travels.

I'm not trying to talk you into it, but it's a wonderfully versatile bike. Strap a good sized waterproof duffle on the back and take off for a week. There are better touring bikes and you may already be riding a better around-town bike right now. Someone said of this bike that it's not great at anything (except turning heads), but it's very good at almost everything and isn't bad at whatever's left.

I hope you're keeping the CBR. Love that bike.
 
Thread starter
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Those are three different bikes - with three different purposes.

Your Honda 250, although you can tour with it...it's no highway machine. As you note. What's worth thinking about is that these others are very-different in terms of what they offer and what they do not.

I never rode a BMW F series. The F GSs look like mini-me R1200GSs...and a lot of what to me is the BMW draw wasn't there. Conventional engine, contracted out to Rotax; chain drive. But hey! you get a BMW roundel; and STYLING that looks like the R GS...

Is it a good bike in its own right? That is for others to decide. It IS a dual-sport; which means it's a compromise. You are not shielded from the elements so much; and you are higher up. Good for spring rates. Bad for crosswinds. The saddle height is lower? That IS a surprise; because the R1200GS was so much HIGHER.

The CB1100 is a day-cruiser. It is not, without a lot of aftermarket parts, a touring bike. Naked bikes are hard on the body; and are not much fun above 70 mph - and in this case, with the breadloaf saddle, there's the real fear of getting blown right off.

The engine, big as it is, is happiest at about 65. It'll go much faster; but the buzzing starts, while the wind assaults. Nope, no death wobble.

To tour, you would have to find a fairing setup; fit it for saddlebags - and blending them with the styling will be a challenge. A better seat is recommended; but I don't know what's worth buying. One thing is for sure...it'll tote the lading.

Frankly, to me, much of the appeal of this machine is its throwback UJM styling. Wrap it all up in fairings and panniers and it's just another bike...and probably not as good a road machine as one more designed for this in mind.

I am not trying to talk you out of it - just be aware, what you buy here is the retro package. You can get a big engine on other machines...perhaps even secondhand and much cheaper.
The F800GT is a sport tourer...I'm not at all a fan of "beak bikes" no matter how capable they might be! :-/



JustPassinThru_imp said:
Those are three different bikes - with three different purposes.

Your Honda 250, although you can tour with it...it's no highway machine. As you note. What's worth thinking about is that these others are very-different in terms of what they offer and what they do not.

I never rode a BMW F series. The F GSs look like mini-me R1200GSs...and a lot of what to me is the BMW draw wasn't there. Conventional engine, contracted out to Rotax; chain drive. But hey! you get a BMW roundel; and STYLING that looks like the R GS...

Is it a good bike in its own right? That is for others to decide. It IS a dual-sport; which means it's a compromise. You are not shielded from the elements so much; and you are higher up. Good for spring rates. Bad for crosswinds. The saddle height is lower? That IS a surprise; because the R1200GS was so much HIGHER.

The CB1100 is a day-cruiser. It is not, without a lot of aftermarket parts, a touring bike. Naked bikes are hard on the body; and are not much fun above 70 mph - and in this case, with the breadloaf saddle, there's the real fear of getting blown right off.

The engine, big as it is, is happiest at about 65. It'll go much faster; but the buzzing starts, while the wind assaults. Nope, no death wobble.

To tour, you would have to find a fairing setup; fit it for saddlebags - and blending them with the styling will be a challenge. A better seat is recommended; but I don't know what's worth buying. One thing is for sure...it'll tote the lading.

Frankly, to me, much of the appeal of this machine is its throwback UJM styling. Wrap it all up in fairings and panniers and it's just another bike...and probably not as good a road machine as one more designed for this in mind.

I am not trying to talk you out of it - just be aware, what you buy here is the retro package. You can get a big engine on other machines...perhaps even secondhand and much cheaper.
Says a LOT right there. I would spend as much as I need to equip a bike as I want...but there's no sense making a bike into something it is not.
 
It says a lot, but the person who said it has owned his CB1100 for a little over a month. Read Ferret's comments and the ride reports from those of us who actually tour on this bike before you think you have to make extreme change and compromises to use this bike in the manner in which you would like.
 
My CB1100 works great on long haul trips. I may be somewhat biased since all my bikes have always been UJM types. Never really had anything that would be considered a proper touring bike.

I like being able to pop a big windshield on the CB11, toss some soft bags over the rear seat and hit the road. It's got excellent road manners and the inline 4 makes for a smooth ride as fast as you care to go on the slab.

I've got a 30" inseam and I can flatfoot it easily. In addition to the lower Japanese seat there are also low aftermarket seats available.

Don't worry about air cooling. I've spent 30 yrs. riding air cooled bikes in the blistering AZ heat and it's not a problem as long as you keep moving.
 
Thread starter
jerrycon_imp said:
Your CBR250R is an excellent machine. I would be proud to have one myself.

Regarding your decision between a CB1100 and an F 800 GT, I don't understand being limited to those two choices.

I have considerable familiarity with the roads of Kentucky and Kentucky-like places. I would also be considering the Honda NC700X and the BMW F 700 GS.

I like my CB1100 a lot, but it lacks the rough road capability that I swore my next bike would have. (Umm. I hope a certain rider named Pterodactyl doesn't read this line...)

I do understand your need to go bigger than your 250. Good luck finding the bike that's right for you. There are so many good choices out there these days. (Did I mention the Ducati Scrambler...)
Thank you. Few are so enlightened.

jerrycon_imp said:
Your CBR250R is an excellent machine. I would be proud to have one myself.

Regarding your decision between a CB1100 and an F 800 GT, I don't understand being limited to those two choices.

I have considerable familiarity with the roads of Kentucky and Kentucky-like places. I would also be considering the Honda NC700X and the BMW F 700 GS.

I like my CB1100 a lot, but it lacks the rough road capability that I swore my next bike would have. (Umm. I hope a certain rider named Pterodactyl doesn't read this line...)

I do understand your need to go bigger than your 250. Good luck finding the bike that's right for you. There are so many good choices out there these days. (Did I mention the Ducati Scrambler...)
These are my leading contenders. There are others, e.g. Moto Guzzi Norge.

jerrycon_imp said:
Your CBR250R is an excellent machine. I would be proud to have one myself.

Regarding your decision between a CB1100 and an F 800 GT, I don't understand being limited to those two choices.

I have considerable familiarity with the roads of Kentucky and Kentucky-like places. I would also be considering the Honda NC700X and the BMW F 700 GS.

I like my CB1100 a lot, but it lacks the rough road capability that I swore my next bike would have. (Umm. I hope a certain rider named Pterodactyl doesn't read this line...)

I do understand your need to go bigger than your 250. Good luck finding the bike that's right for you. There are so many good choices out there these days. (Did I mention the Ducati Scrambler...)
I rode an NC750S in Germany and Switzerland...it was soulless...appliance-like...like a little tractor. I did enjoy the front trunk however, since I only brought one drybag in my airline luggage. The gas filler under the pillion was...terrible. I had to remove my pack to fill up. The F700GS has crossed my mind. I will take a closer look...it seems to be marketed a little toward women but as a 250 rider I am secure in my manhood.

jerrycon_imp said:
Your CBR250R is an excellent machine. I would be proud to have one myself.

Regarding your decision between a CB1100 and an F 800 GT, I don't understand being limited to those two choices.

I have considerable familiarity with the roads of Kentucky and Kentucky-like places. I would also be considering the Honda NC700X and the BMW F 700 GS.

I like my CB1100 a lot, but it lacks the rough road capability that I swore my next bike would have. (Umm. I hope a certain rider named Pterodactyl doesn't read this line...)

I do understand your need to go bigger than your 250. Good luck finding the bike that's right for you. There are so many good choices out there these days. (Did I mention the Ducati Scrambler...)
I saw the Scrambler in Germany last month. Cool bike but not a touring machine in any way.
The ferret_imp said:
Whenever I wonder about another motorcycle, I google " issues with X bike" and usually an owners forum pops up, like ours. They are the ones living with a bike day in and day out. I just did it for the BMW F800 GT. being a man made machine of course there will be some issues ( we see a few as well). I have to assume you have done the same as research. There is an F800 riders forum

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bmw...es&start=0

I have taken 2 multi day, multi state trips on my Cb1100s ( and I am about to take another one in a couple weeks) and they did great. Chain was not an issue. Never needed adjustment, just a lube mid week. Shields are available as are hard and soft luggage. Since I have a dedicated touring bike, I prefer to set up my CB as more a sport tourer with soft luggage, easily removed when not on a trip.However excellent hard luggage is available for it.

Btw have you read any of the reports of the Belgian couple traveling the world on a pair of CB1100s?

Here are a couple of my ride reports

[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/60947/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4083



Mens fall ride 2013


BRP, the Dragon and more part 1


BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2


And might I suggest Reading ANY of the awesome ride reports By Empty Sea, Cormanus or Pterodactyl in the seat time section of the forum.

I can't tell you how good of a middle weight tourer the BMW F800 GT , but I can tell you the CB1100 will do the job day after day, mile after mile, year after year, without even breathing hard.
My biggest fear with BMW. Also: I am not really interested in being associated with a pre-defined biking culture ala HD or BMW.

The ferret_imp said:
Whenever I wonder about another motorcycle, I google " issues with X bike" and usually an owners forum pops up, like ours. They are the ones living with a bike day in and day out. I just did it for the BMW F800 GT. being a man made machine of course there will be some issues ( we see a few as well). I have to assume you have done the same as research. There is an F800 riders forum

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bmw...es&start=0

I have taken 2 multi day, multi state trips on my Cb1100s ( and I am about to take another one in a couple weeks) and they did great. Chain was not an issue. Never needed adjustment, just a lube mid week. Shields are available as are hard and soft luggage. Since I have a dedicated touring bike, I prefer to set up my CB as more a sport tourer with soft luggage, easily removed when not on a trip.However excellent hard luggage is available for it.

Btw have you read any of the reports of the Belgian couple traveling the world on a pair of CB1100s?

Here are a couple of my ride reports

[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/60947/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4083



Mens fall ride 2013


BRP, the Dragon and more part 1


BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2


And might I suggest Reading ANY of the awesome ride reports By Empty Sea, Cormanus or Pterodactyl in the seat time section of the forum.

I can't tell you how good of a middle weight tourer the BMW F800 GT , but I can tell you the CB1100 will do the job day after day, mile after mile, year after year, without even breathing hard.
A man after my own heart! This is very inspiring testimony! I will absolutely check out your RRs and those of others.

The ferret_imp said:
Whenever I wonder about another motorcycle, I google " issues with X bike" and usually an owners forum pops up, like ours. They are the ones living with a bike day in and day out. I just did it for the BMW F800 GT. being a man made machine of course there will be some issues ( we see a few as well). I have to assume you have done the same as research. There is an F800 riders forum

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bmw...es&start=0

I have taken 2 multi day, multi state trips on my Cb1100s ( and I am about to take another one in a couple weeks) and they did great. Chain was not an issue. Never needed adjustment, just a lube mid week. Shields are available as are hard and soft luggage. Since I have a dedicated touring bike, I prefer to set up my CB as more a sport tourer with soft luggage, easily removed when not on a trip.However excellent hard luggage is available for it.

Btw have you read any of the reports of the Belgian couple traveling the world on a pair of CB1100s?

Here are a couple of my ride reports

[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/60947/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4083



Mens fall ride 2013


BRP, the Dragon and more part 1


BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2


And might I suggest Reading ANY of the awesome ride reports By Empty Sea, Cormanus or Pterodactyl in the seat time section of the forum.

I can't tell you how good of a middle weight tourer the BMW F800 GT , but I can tell you the CB1100 will do the job day after day, mile after mile, year after year, without even breathing hard.
I believe you! I spent eight hours on one in Europe and other than the smallish fuel tank it really floated my boat! :)

EmptySea_imp said:
It says a lot, but the person who said it has owned his CB1100 for a little over a month. Read Ferret's comments and the ride reports from those of us who actually tour on this bike before you think you have to make extreme change and compromises to use this bike in the manner in which you would like.
EmptySea, I respect your opinion tremendously. I very much recall your participation in the 250 forum and always trusted your perspectives.

EmptySea_imp said:
First off..BS on the 250 not being a highway machine. It's not without drawbacks as noted, but it works just fine on the highway. I rode mine all over the place before I got my CB. While we're at it, BS on screens, fairings, saddlebags, as requirements to tour on the CB. Oh, and one more thing, never noticed buzzing over 65, never felt like I was being blown off it, and I got used to the seat. I have 15,000 miles on mine with no windscreen. Two week long trips to NC/Tenn, Two weekend trips to Wisconsin, and another week planned to the Ozarks. Most folks like a screen for touring, but it's fine without it. I'll let someone else comment on the ergos, the chain, and the maintence, but none of them have been a barrier to my travels.

I'm not trying to talk you into it, but it's a wonderfully versatile bike. Strap a good sized waterproof duffle on the back and take off for a week. There are better touring bikes and you may already be riding a better around-town bike right now. Someone said of this bike that it's not great at anything (except turning heads), but it's very good at almost everything and isn't bad at whatever's left.

I hope you're keeping the CBR. Love that bike.
Exactly the kind of comment I'm looking for! I am in no way a lightweight when it comes to physical adversity in the saddle, nor do I shirk from chain maintenance. I don't need to be ensconced in a $26,000 rolling La-Z-Boy to be happy on a bike; in fact that is what I do not want.

And yes, I am definitely keeping the CBR250R. It is simply too good to ever let go. I have added about $2000 in functional accessories and most would not believe just how capable this bike is. When touring alone...I would choose it first. It truly lacks nothing for my individual purposes.

BTW, my gang went to the Southern Appalachians (TN/NC) in 2013, to western Virginia (Blue Ridge Highlands) in 2014, and are bound for the Ozarks in 2015! :thumbsup:
Flynrider_imp said:
My CB1100 works great on long haul trips. I may be somewhat biased since all my bikes have always been UJM types. Never really had anything that would be considered a proper touring bike.

I like being able to pop a big windshield on the CB11, toss some soft bags over the rear seat and hit the road. It's got excellent road manners and the inline 4 makes for a smooth ride as fast as you care to go on the slab.

I've got a 30" inseam and I can flatfoot it easily. In addition to the lower Japanese seat there are also low aftermarket seats available.

Don't worry about air cooling. I've spent 30 yrs. riding air cooled bikes in the blistering AZ heat and it's not a problem as long as you keep moving.
Excellent comments, Flynrider - thank you.
 
I rode a SaddleSore (1,000 miles in 24 hours) few weeks ago:
Looking for spring in Tuscany

We were unlucky, it was cold and 70% of the ride it was raining. But doing the trip was a smooth ride, no problems at all.

I'm tall (1.82 meters) but had no issues with the original seat. It's not too soft, but fits well to my butt and supports good body control of the bike.

I wouldn't go out for a tour without a windshield. However, that's easily mounted to the CB. Then I need a rack and my touring bike is ready.

This is my CB, ready for a one week trip:
3dcf5bc81288719e988e10f16743eba0.JPG


For longer trips, I could mount saddlebags and a second bag on the rear. Those I would mount across the seat, instead of along.

However, I think, if you're really in a lot of touring, the F800GT may be the better bike. Afaik, it's less weight and it is ready from factory for traveling. Mpg may be better and the belt drive saves you from chain wear issues and fiddling around with oiling the chain.

But then, BMW may design more for function and technology, and not so much for beauty and character... ;)
 
Django is probably correct that the BMW might be the better bike for pure touring. I like the F800GT a lot (I've tried to convince my wife to look at it, but she likes her cruiser-tourer hybrid CTX700 for now). It's just that the CB is such a great all around bike, you're already used to nudging your bike beyond its intended purpose (if there even is such a thing as " intended purpose" for this bike), plus it sounds like you'll physically fit on the CB better. One thing, though, when you mentioned "touring alone" did you mean that in contrast to two-up touring or in contrast to riding in a group?

I don't recognize your handle/nickname from the 250 forum, but it has been a couple of years. I so wanted to ride my CBR250 on the Dragon, but it was still tons of fun on the CB. When are you traveling to the Ozarks?
Oh and one final thought from me, and kind of a silly one at that -- When I was much younger, the guys that I knew that toured on motorcycles did so on bikes that looked and felt like the CB1100 and I get a certain feeling of connection to those guys when I ride this bike, especially when I tour on it.
 
First, welcome to the site. I'm also 5'6" and seat height is a large part of the decision when i buy a bike. You should have a good feel of the CB1100 having spent hours on one in Europe. The bikes you are considering are for the most part light weight with a more than manageable seat height.

check out here for comparisons
Motorcycle Ergonomics

Motorcycle aerodynamics plays a big part in comfort on the highway. Certain bikes are setup for highway travel regardless of whether there sport-bike oriented or sport tourers. I traded in a CBR1000RR for the CB1100, except for the rear sets being a bit cramped the bike was a much better tourer than the CB1100 at speeds your buddies may be traveling on there bikes, keep in mind the CBR comes in at about the same weight as the BMW.

The CB1100 has a sweet spot around 60-70MPH on the highway. Traveling at higher speeds for long periods of time is uncomfortable, but remember everyone tolerance is different. Wind protection I find necessary and than only low screens because anything high creates buffeting and pushing with wind and lane changes.

If you want to keep up with your buddies who are traveling at higher speeds consider a bike with proven wind tunnel results in a stock package.
 
Since you're keeping the 250, go all the way and get a proper sport touring bike, the BMW. The CB will still be a compromise. It will be better than the 250, but still a compromise.

Shameless plug ... I have a Honda sport tourer for sale in the classifieds, with only 1400 miles on it. MUCH lower price than a Beemer.
 
I was just going to mention Classic's ad but he beat me to it - We had some customers with the F800Gts and they liked them but just like me ( It was a man & wife) one bike was great and the other had a lot of problems even though BMW took care of all
their issues it did keep one off the bike for some time.
 
I've toured on a TS-125 (across the Dakota's and Minnesota - not recommended), CJ360T and a KZ550 Ltd back in the day. This time around I've toured on a Moto Guzzi Quota and the MG Griso. For touring I find twins easier on the mind and body than the inline four. So I'm going to recommend the Norge. Fully faired, very nice motor, easy to maintain yourself (e.g. valves are adjusted with a lock nut and screw, no shims, 15 minute job once you get the hang of it). Shaft drive (I think shafts are nice, no need to worry about chain lube and adjustment, on the other hand, you can't adjust the read drive ratio easily and chain and sprockets is a very cheap drive line rebuild - while shafts can be trouble free, if things break, and they can, it can be expensive).

I'd get a Norge, probably should have gotten one as I keep trying to make the Griso a Norge, but the seating is a wee bit cramped for my 36" inseam.

For touring I prefer a windscreen and something to protect my legs. I lean towards soft luggage but the Quota had panniers and they spoiled me. Still have the soft luggage because I'm cheap. :)

I'd steer you away from the BMW as in my opinion they are too clever by half making the bike too complicated to service and keep the reliability up. Expensive to repair once off of warranty. Otherwise, it's a good bike.

Take a look at a VFR from Honda. Too much tupperware in the way to work on easily, but other wise a fine machine at a great discount because for some reason it was not loved by the buying public. In black it's not as pretty as your 250 in red and sliver. But they may look too much alike to have both in your kit. Diversity is nice!

The CB would make a nice touring package (look at all the guys and gals that toured on the old CB550's, 750's and even 350F's back in the day!). Personally, I prefer the V twin Griso motor on the open road.
 
I took an F800GT for an extended test drive last year before purchasing the CB. The only feedback I have is that it was a warm day and the radiator on the right side was very good at blowing heat onto my thigh and making for a warmer ride than it should have been. It was perhaps 90 degrees and even at moderate speed the heat coming off of it was both noticeable and annoying.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Django is probably correct that the BMW might be the better bike for pure touring. I like the F800GT a lot (I've tried to convince my wife to look at it, but she likes her cruiser-tourer hybrid CTX700 for now). It's just that the CB is such a great all around bike, you're already used to nudging your bike beyond its intended purpose (if there even is such a thing as " intended purpose" for this bike), plus it sounds like you'll physically fit on the CB better. One thing, though, when you mentioned "touring alone" did you mean that in contrast to two-up touring or in contrast to riding in a group?

I don't recognize your handle/nickname from the 250 forum, but it has been a couple of years. I so wanted to ride my CBR250 on the Dragon, but it was still tons of fun on the CB. When are you traveling to the Ozarks?
Oh and one final thought from me, and kind of a silly one at that -- When I was much younger, the guys that I knew that toured on motorcycles did so on bikes that looked and felt like the CB1100 and I get a certain feeling of connection to those guys when I ride this bike, especially when I tour on it.
Definitely. Where there's a will, there's a way

EmptySea_imp said:
Django is probably correct that the BMW might be the better bike for pure touring. I like the F800GT a lot (I've tried to convince my wife to look at it, but she likes her cruiser-tourer hybrid CTX700 for now). It's just that the CB is such a great all around bike, you're already used to nudging your bike beyond its intended purpose (if there even is such a thing as " intended purpose" for this bike), plus it sounds like you'll physically fit on the CB better. One thing, though, when you mentioned "touring alone" did you mean that in contrast to two-up touring or in contrast to riding in a group?

I don't recognize your handle/nickname from the 250 forum, but it has been a couple of years. I so wanted to ride my CBR250 on the Dragon, but it was still tons of fun on the CB. When are you traveling to the Ozarks?
Oh and one final thought from me, and kind of a silly one at that -- When I was much younger, the guys that I knew that toured on motorcycles did so on bikes that looked and felt like the CB1100 and I get a certain feeling of connection to those guys when I ride this bike, especially when I tour on it.
The latter, either solo or in a group. Doubtful that my better half would ever throw a leg over!

EmptySea_imp said:
Django is probably correct that the BMW might be the better bike for pure touring. I like the F800GT a lot (I've tried to convince my wife to look at it, but she likes her cruiser-tourer hybrid CTX700 for now). It's just that the CB is such a great all around bike, you're already used to nudging your bike beyond its intended purpose (if there even is such a thing as " intended purpose" for this bike), plus it sounds like you'll physically fit on the CB better. One thing, though, when you mentioned "touring alone" did you mean that in contrast to two-up touring or in contrast to riding in a group?

I don't recognize your handle/nickname from the 250 forum, but it has been a couple of years. I so wanted to ride my CBR250 on the Dragon, but it was still tons of fun on the CB. When are you traveling to the Ozarks?
Oh and one final thought from me, and kind of a silly one at that -- When I was much younger, the guys that I knew that toured on motorcycles did so on bikes that looked and felt like the CB1100 and I get a certain feeling of connection to those guys when I ride this bike, especially when I tour on it.
I changed it over there a while back.

EmptySea_imp said:
Django is probably correct that the BMW might be the better bike for pure touring. I like the F800GT a lot (I've tried to convince my wife to look at it, but she likes her cruiser-tourer hybrid CTX700 for now). It's just that the CB is such a great all around bike, you're already used to nudging your bike beyond its intended purpose (if there even is such a thing as " intended purpose" for this bike), plus it sounds like you'll physically fit on the CB better. One thing, though, when you mentioned "touring alone" did you mean that in contrast to two-up touring or in contrast to riding in a group?

I don't recognize your handle/nickname from the 250 forum, but it has been a couple of years. I so wanted to ride my CBR250 on the Dragon, but it was still tons of fun on the CB. When are you traveling to the Ozarks?
Oh and one final thought from me, and kind of a silly one at that -- When I was much younger, the guys that I knew that toured on motorcycles did so on bikes that looked and felt like the CB1100 and I get a certain feeling of connection to those guys when I ride this bike, especially when I tour on it.
The Dragon was awesome on the 250, as well as The Snake, The Devil's Whip, The Python, and Back of the Dragon. Cherohala Skyway was not bad but the Blue Ridge Parkway was a little tame and the scenery became monotonous. We're going to Arkansas the week of June 15.
CIP57_imp said:
First, welcome to the site. I'm also 5'6" and seat height is a large part of the decision when i buy a bike. You should have a good feel of the CB1100 having spent hours on one in Europe. The bikes you are considering are for the most part light weight with a more than manageable seat height.

check out here for comparisons
Motorcycle Ergonomics

Motorcycle aerodynamics plays a big part in comfort on the highway. Certain bikes are setup for highway travel regardless of whether there sport-bike oriented or sport tourers. I traded in a CBR1000RR for the CB1100, except for the rear sets being a bit cramped the bike was a much better tourer than the CB1100 at speeds your buddies may be traveling on there bikes, keep in mind the CBR comes in at about the same weight as the BMW.

The CB1100 has a sweet spot around 60-70MPH on the highway. Traveling at higher speeds for long periods of time is uncomfortable, but remember everyone tolerance is different. Wind protection I find necessary and than only low screens because anything high creates buffeting and pushing with wind and lane changes.

If you want to keep up with your buddies who are traveling at higher speeds consider a bike with proven wind tunnel results in a stock package.
Thanks, glad to be here! I'm very impressed with the crew so far. I think your comments about aerodynamics and wind are well worth considering. It would be kind of silly for me to trade one bike that beats me up at 80-85 for another one that does similarly. So I have to keep that in mind.
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
I rode a SaddleSore (1,000 miles in 24 hours) few weeks ago:
Looking for spring in Tuscany

We were unlucky, it was cold and 70% of the ride it was raining. But doing the trip was a smooth ride, no problems at all.

I'm tall (1.82 meters) but had no issues with the original seat. It's not too soft, but fits well to my butt and supports good body control of the bike.

I wouldn't go out for a tour without a windshield. However, that's easily mounted to the CB. Then I need a rack and my touring bike is ready.

This is my CB, ready for a one week trip:
3dcf5bc81288719e988e10f16743eba0.JPG


For longer trips, I could mount saddlebags and a second bag on the rear. Those I would mount across the seat, instead of along.

However, I think, if you're really in a lot of touring, the F800GT may be the better bike. Afaik, it's less weight and it is ready from factory for traveling. Mpg may be better and the belt drive saves you from chain wear issues and fiddling around with oiling the chain.

But then, BMW may design more for function and technology, and not so much for beauty and character... ;)
I could see myself being perfectly fine taking this approach. It's kind of what I am doing now.

Django_imp said:
I rode a SaddleSore (1,000 miles in 24 hours) few weeks ago:
Looking for spring in Tuscany

We were unlucky, it was cold and 70% of the ride it was raining. But doing the trip was a smooth ride, no problems at all.

I'm tall (1.82 meters) but had no issues with the original seat. It's not too soft, but fits well to my butt and supports good body control of the bike.

I wouldn't go out for a tour without a windshield. However, that's easily mounted to the CB. Then I need a rack and my touring bike is ready.

This is my CB, ready for a one week trip:
3dcf5bc81288719e988e10f16743eba0.JPG


For longer trips, I could mount saddlebags and a second bag on the rear. Those I would mount across the seat, instead of along.

However, I think, if you're really in a lot of touring, the F800GT may be the better bike. Afaik, it's less weight and it is ready from factory for traveling. Mpg may be better and the belt drive saves you from chain wear issues and fiddling around with oiling the chain.

But then, BMW may design more for function and technology, and not so much for beauty and character... ;)
Yes, very practical!

Django_imp said:
I rode a SaddleSore (1,000 miles in 24 hours) few weeks ago:
Looking for spring in Tuscany

We were unlucky, it was cold and 70% of the ride it was raining. But doing the trip was a smooth ride, no problems at all.

I'm tall (1.82 meters) but had no issues with the original seat. It's not too soft, but fits well to my butt and supports good body control of the bike.

I wouldn't go out for a tour without a windshield. However, that's easily mounted to the CB. Then I need a rack and my touring bike is ready.

This is my CB, ready for a one week trip:
3dcf5bc81288719e988e10f16743eba0.JPG


For longer trips, I could mount saddlebags and a second bag on the rear. Those I would mount across the seat, instead of along.

However, I think, if you're really in a lot of touring, the F800GT may be the better bike. Afaik, it's less weight and it is ready from factory for traveling. Mpg may be better and the belt drive saves you from chain wear issues and fiddling around with oiling the chain.

But then, BMW may design more for function and technology, and not so much for beauty and character... ;)
Well, now there's the rub! :) The F800GT is not a bad looking bike but it would not turn heads next to the CB1100.
ClassicVW_imp said:
Since you're keeping the 250, go all the way and get a proper sport touring bike, the BMW. The CB will still be a compromise. It will be better than the 250, but still a compromise.

Shameless plug ... I have a Honda sport tourer for sale in the classifieds, with only 1400 miles on it. MUCH lower price than a Beemer.
Probably sage advice, thank you.
CA200_imp said:
I was just going to mention Classic's ad but he beat me to it - We had some customers with the F800Gts and they liked them but just like me ( It was a man & wife) one bike was great and the other had a lot of problems even though BMW took care of all
their issues it did keep one off the bike for some time.
Scary!
 
We're going to Arkansas the week of June 15. <-- So are we!

I'm not leading our ride so I don't have the itinerary in my head yet. Let me know what towns you'll be near so I can keep an eye out for you.
 
Back
Top