Touring: CB1100 vs. F800GT

I previously owned a BMW F800ST (an almost-identical predecessor of the GT, with a shorter wheelbase). It was not a positive experience.

That motor, built by Rotax, can sometimes sound like a skeleton dancing around inside a 55-gallon steel drum. As you might already know, it's a vertical twin with a 360-degree firing order. Both pistons rise & fall together, firing alternately. The output is almost exactly what you'd get from a 400cc two-stroke. At 2007, mine was an early model, but it developed piston slap inside of 13,000 miles, which took BMW over a year to even admit such a thing existed. I think there may have been a class-action suit, but not sure. And then came the play in the rear-wheel bearing. I'll admit that it was a great-riding bike, when it was in good shape, but that was one bike I was happy to get rid of.

I'm hoping those problems are sorted out by now (they must be), but I still don't think the F800's are worthy of the BMW name. The design's just not on par with the R-twins they produce. The Interceptor would be my choice for something like this. Good luck.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Yeah... "A couple of serious tours". There's an understatement if ever there was one. Cormanus may not have as much general motorcycle experience as some folks here, but he has as many CB1100 touring miles (or kilometers) as any of us, or nearly so. He knows this bike.
Kind of you EmptySea.

I'll be interested to see whether Pterodactyl has anything to say about this when he's home and posting again. He's done more kms on his than I have and a lot of it touring. He has the Dart Fly Screen and I confess I've been tempted once or twice. But not having ridden a bike with a windscreen for a serious distance, I just don't know what I'm missing.

My CB turns under 4,000 rpm at the maximum Australian speed limit of 110 kph (68.3 mph).
 
I am an old school BMW rider since my early 20s, and these "BMW" F bikes are not BMW. Management has cheapened the brand with such junk to expand the buyer pool. I suspect KTM is the new BMW. I will only ride and own old school BMW bikes. Sorry if this offends anyone, but a man has to stand on principle and draw the line someplace.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Stichill

I've been pondering this question since my last post and thought of a couple of other things I wanted to say.

My first burst of riding was in my late teens in the early 70s. I did a bit of short-haul touring and managed perfectly well on a old CB175 and then a Suzuki 250. I forget the model, but it was a 2 stroke. Both carried a load of gear. The Honda didn't have a chance with chaps with 350s, 500s, 750s and the like; the Suzuki could out accelerate some of them but wasn't quite so comfortable at speed. But I was happy enough touring over short distances. Of course what I really wanted back in those days was a CB500 Four or a CB750 Four.

I then retired from riding for quite a while. When I returned it was on a scooter that I used strictly for commuting. I then retired from that and, although I'd ride other people's bikes given the opportunity, I basically stayed away from it until late in 2010 when I decided to get going again and bought a used Honda Shadow 750C, partly because of it's height: I'm not tall—5'7" with a 30" in-seam. I had plenty fun on it, but I never really bonded with it. The different riding position to the UJMs of my youth, the noise it made, the different seating position and handling didn't really appeal. That said, I may well have kept it longer if, on the day I picked it up or shortly afterwards, I saw a beautiful, white, 2010 CB1100 and fell in love. I did nothing about it for a couple of years and then bought a second-hand one. It's pretty much all the bike I ever wanted. I love the look of it; I love riding it; it is the realisation of a long-held dream to own a Japanese in-line 4.

I joined this forum and got an invitation from Pterodactyl to join him on a ride to Mildura. It meant a couple of weeks away and about 3,000-4,000 kms riding. I'd never done anything like it, but I was keen to try for various reasons. We had a great time and I really enjoyed myself. I've since done a few other rides with Pterodactyl including a trip to the Australian MotoGP last year and then points beyond. That covered about 7,500 kms. All on the unfaired CB with top box and other bits and pieces tied on. To give you some idea, I've had the bike since September 2013 and covered a bit more than 34,000 kms on it.

I still love the bike. It works for me and I've been really happy touring on it. I intend to keep touring and I've no plans to replace the CB1100. IN part that's because I'll have to be a one bike person.

BUT ...

... there's some things you may like to consider.

The CB suits me just fine for touring. But I've got no experience of anything much else to compare it with.

I'm only likely to have one bike at a time so it has to do a few things. That involves compromises.

Nearly everyone around here is pretty keen on the CB1100, although, as the earlier parts of this thread show, there's more than enough experience of other bikes and honesty to give you a fair bit to chew over.

My experience with the Shadow (and with many other things in life) is that it's important to get what's right for you. Blow everybody else.

If all you want to do is tour and you want a comfortable bike set up to do just that, the CB1100, beautiful though she is, may not be for you. If you commute, do weekend rides and want to do the odd longer tour, you may find the CB1100 a bit more useable than the CBR250R. It gobbles up miles on the highway or back roads without revving too high; it loves hills; it doesn't seem to notice a bag of gear, a full top box and a load of camping equipment; it's fun on a twisty road; and, with an AirHawk cushion is not too uncomfortable to sit on all day for days on end.

If you'll still love it after the compromises you have to make, buy one. If not, buy the bike that really works for you and then tell us about it. Most of us will be interested.

But I can't stress enough: make sure you buy the bike that is right for what you want to do with it and that you'll continue to enjoy doing it on.

Good luck!
 
Elipten' pid='85458' dateline='1429787787 said:
Agree completely. The best bike is the one that works for you.


This so true! I have owned over 100 motorcycles and sometimes a bike comes along that just does IT.
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
I previously owned a BMW F800ST (an almost-identical predecessor of the GT, with a shorter wheelbase). It was not a positive experience.

That motor, built by Rotax, can sometimes sound like a skeleton dancing around inside a 55-gallon steel drum. As you might already know, it's a vertical twin with a 360-degree firing order. Both pistons rise & fall together, firing alternately. The output is almost exactly what you'd get from a 400cc two-stroke. At 2007, mine was an early model, but it developed piston slap inside of 13,000 miles, which took BMW over a year to even admit such a thing existed. I think there may have been a class-action suit, but not sure. And then came the play in the rear-wheel bearing. I'll admit that it was a great-riding bike, when it was in good shape, but that was one bike I was happy to get rid of.

I'm hoping those problems are sorted out by now (they must be), but I still don't think the F800's are worthy of the BMW name. The design's just not on par with the R-twins they produce. The Interceptor would be my choice for something like this. Good luck.
This is the kind of thing that worries me. I would feel stupid if I bought a brand new bike and then had a series of headaches with it. My CBR250R has been completely bullet-proof and it creates a definite sense of trust and brand loyalty.
Elipten_imp said:
I am an old school BMW rider since my early 20s, and these "BMW" F bikes are not BMW. Management has cheapened the brand with such junk to expand the buyer pool. I suspect KTM is the new BMW. I will only ride and own old school BMW bikes. Sorry if this offends anyone, but a man has to stand on principle and draw the line someplace.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I appreciate your experienced opinion.
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill

I've been pondering this question since my last post and thought of a couple of other things I wanted to say.

My first burst of riding was in my late teens in the early 70s. I did a bit of short-haul touring and managed perfectly well on a old CB175 and then a Suzuki 250. I forget the model, but it was a 2 stroke. Both carried a load of gear. The Honda didn't have a chance with chaps with 350s, 500s, 750s and the like; the Suzuki could out accelerate some of them but wasn't quite so comfortable at speed. But I was happy enough touring over short distances. Of course what I really wanted back in those days was a CB500 Four or a CB750 Four.

I then retired from riding for quite a while. When I returned it was on a scooter that I used strictly for commuting. I then retired from that and, although I'd ride other people's bikes given the opportunity, I basically stayed away from it until late in 2010 when I decided to get going again and bought a used Honda Shadow 750C, partly because of it's height: I'm not tall—5'7" with a 30" in-seam. I had plenty fun on it, but I never really bonded with it. The different riding position to the UJMs of my youth, the noise it made, the different seating position and handling didn't really appeal. That said, I may well have kept it longer if, on the day I picked it up or shortly afterwards, I saw a beautiful, white, 2010 CB1100 and fell in love. I did nothing about it for a couple of years and then bought a second-hand one. It's pretty much all the bike I ever wanted. I love the look of it; I love riding it; it is the realisation of a long-held dream to own a Japanese in-line 4.

I joined this forum and got an invitation from Pterodactyl to join him on a ride to Mildura. It meant a couple of weeks away and about 3,000-4,000 kms riding. I'd never done anything like it, but I was keen to try for various reasons. We had a great time and I really enjoyed myself. I've since done a few other rides with Pterodactyl including a trip to the Australian MotoGP last year and then points beyond. That covered about 7,500 kms. All on the unfaired CB with top box and other bits and pieces tied on. To give you some idea, I've had the bike since September 2013 and covered a bit more than 34,000 kms on it.

I still love the bike. It works for me and I've been really happy touring on it. I intend to keep touring and I've no plans to replace the CB1100. IN part that's because I'll have to be a one bike person.

BUT ...

... there's some things you may like to consider.

The CB suits me just fine for touring. But I've got no experience of anything much else to compare it with.

I'm only likely to have one bike at a time so it has to do a few things. That involves compromises.

Nearly everyone around here is pretty keen on the CB1100, although, as the earlier parts of this thread show, there's more than enough experience of other bikes and honesty to give you a fair bit to chew over.

My experience with the Shadow (and with many other things in life) is that it's important to get what's right for you. Blow everybody else.

If all you want to do is tour and you want a comfortable bike set up to do just that, the CB1100, beautiful though she is, may not be for you. If you commute, do weekend rides and want to do the odd longer tour, you may find the CB1100 a bit more useable than the CBR250R. It gobbles up miles on the highway or back roads without revving too high; it loves hills; it doesn't seem to notice a bag of gear, a full top box and a load of camping equipment; it's fun on a twisty road; and, with an AirHawk cushion is not too uncomfortable to sit on all day for days on end.

If you'll still love it after the compromises you have to make, buy one. If not, buy the bike that really works for you and then tell us about it. Most of us will be interested.

But I can't stress enough: make sure you buy the bike that is right for what you want to do with it and that you'll continue to enjoy doing it on.

Good luck!
This is a fantastic testimonial. Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully share your impressions. Even though I'm entering only my fourth season of riding, my riding / touring experiences are kind of similar to yours. All of the touring I have done has been on bikes with little to no wind protection:
[ul] [li]CBR250R[/li] [li]CB1100[/li] [li]NC750S
[/li][/ul]
I have briefly ridden a friend's ST1100. Didn't get over 55 mph on some two-lane roads for a 30-minute lunch hour jaunt. I didn't get the impression that the fairing and tall windshield were "awesome"...actually I felt that the mass in front of me was a little isolating...less sense of "magic carpet" flying along over the roadway.

Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill

I've been pondering this question since my last post and thought of a couple of other things I wanted to say.

My first burst of riding was in my late teens in the early 70s. I did a bit of short-haul touring and managed perfectly well on a old CB175 and then a Suzuki 250. I forget the model, but it was a 2 stroke. Both carried a load of gear. The Honda didn't have a chance with chaps with 350s, 500s, 750s and the like; the Suzuki could out accelerate some of them but wasn't quite so comfortable at speed. But I was happy enough touring over short distances. Of course what I really wanted back in those days was a CB500 Four or a CB750 Four.

I then retired from riding for quite a while. When I returned it was on a scooter that I used strictly for commuting. I then retired from that and, although I'd ride other people's bikes given the opportunity, I basically stayed away from it until late in 2010 when I decided to get going again and bought a used Honda Shadow 750C, partly because of it's height: I'm not tall—5'7" with a 30" in-seam. I had plenty fun on it, but I never really bonded with it. The different riding position to the UJMs of my youth, the noise it made, the different seating position and handling didn't really appeal. That said, I may well have kept it longer if, on the day I picked it up or shortly afterwards, I saw a beautiful, white, 2010 CB1100 and fell in love. I did nothing about it for a couple of years and then bought a second-hand one. It's pretty much all the bike I ever wanted. I love the look of it; I love riding it; it is the realisation of a long-held dream to own a Japanese in-line 4.

I joined this forum and got an invitation from Pterodactyl to join him on a ride to Mildura. It meant a couple of weeks away and about 3,000-4,000 kms riding. I'd never done anything like it, but I was keen to try for various reasons. We had a great time and I really enjoyed myself. I've since done a few other rides with Pterodactyl including a trip to the Australian MotoGP last year and then points beyond. That covered about 7,500 kms. All on the unfaired CB with top box and other bits and pieces tied on. To give you some idea, I've had the bike since September 2013 and covered a bit more than 34,000 kms on it.

I still love the bike. It works for me and I've been really happy touring on it. I intend to keep touring and I've no plans to replace the CB1100. IN part that's because I'll have to be a one bike person.

BUT ...

... there's some things you may like to consider.

The CB suits me just fine for touring. But I've got no experience of anything much else to compare it with.

I'm only likely to have one bike at a time so it has to do a few things. That involves compromises.

Nearly everyone around here is pretty keen on the CB1100, although, as the earlier parts of this thread show, there's more than enough experience of other bikes and honesty to give you a fair bit to chew over.

My experience with the Shadow (and with many other things in life) is that it's important to get what's right for you. Blow everybody else.

If all you want to do is tour and you want a comfortable bike set up to do just that, the CB1100, beautiful though she is, may not be for you. If you commute, do weekend rides and want to do the odd longer tour, you may find the CB1100 a bit more useable than the CBR250R. It gobbles up miles on the highway or back roads without revving too high; it loves hills; it doesn't seem to notice a bag of gear, a full top box and a load of camping equipment; it's fun on a twisty road; and, with an AirHawk cushion is not too uncomfortable to sit on all day for days on end.

If you'll still love it after the compromises you have to make, buy one. If not, buy the bike that really works for you and then tell us about it. Most of us will be interested.

But I can't stress enough: make sure you buy the bike that is right for what you want to do with it and that you'll continue to enjoy doing it on.

Good luck!
Very compelling! I do think that I am a person who is tolerant of compromise. Just one look at my little CBR250R is proof of that I think. However screaming down the motorway is perhaps one compromise that I am tired of...the CB1100 would alleviate three out of four "fatigue factors" from the highway experience:
[ul] [li]Excessively high engine RPM / excessive throttle rotation (big improvement)[/li] [li]Low passing power (big improvement)[/li] [li]Slipstream "push around" (has to be better; CB weighs nearly 200 pounds more than the CBR)[/li] [li]Wind blast (no obvious change; CB may actually be a little better i.e. CB clean air vs. turbulent air pointed at helmet from tiny CBR windscreen)
[/li][/ul]
I only tour one-two weeks a year, however with a larger bike I could see myself extending that. However it would be solo, so I can control the riding conditions to suit myself. For the rest of the time, the CB would be a great "all-rounder" as the Germans call Standards. It would be very different kind of bike than my CBR so I could choose one or the other depending on my riding mood. If I feel like a spirited honk in the local Kentucky twisties, I might choose the CBR. If I feel like a more relaxed countryside ride to admire the charms of the Bluegrass State, I could hop on the CB. And if I want to take a long trip out of town, the CB has much more competence and capability for that mission than my CBR, so I would be a lot better off in that situation.

The more I think about it, the more I think the CB1100 could be the "do-it-all" second bike for me. I also feel much more comfortable with Honda as a brand than I do with BMW. The other thought I have is that there will always be bikes in the future like the F800GT, but that might not be the case with the CB1100. The last thing I'll say is that I just plain like the CB1100 more than I like the F800GT...it makes me happy just looking at it and thinking about riding it.
 
Cool...Now go get one ASAP and let me know if you're going to be anywhere near St. Charles, Mo, Springfield, MO, Harrison, AR, or Eureka Springs, AR on your trip and we can get a photo of "two non-touring" touring bikes together. We're also stopping at Niehaus Cycle Sales, Litchfield, IL on the afternoon of the 13th for lunch, I think, and to just stretch our legs in a motorcycle-friendly environment.

:)
 
Stichill_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
I previously owned a BMW F800ST (an almost-identical predecessor of the GT, with a shorter wheelbase). It was not a positive experience.

That motor, built by Rotax, can sometimes sound like a skeleton dancing around inside a 55-gallon steel drum. As you might already know, it's a vertical twin with a 360-degree firing order. Both pistons rise & fall together, firing alternately. The output is almost exactly what you'd get from a 400cc two-stroke. At 2007, mine was an early model, but it developed piston slap inside of 13,000 miles, which took BMW over a year to even admit such a thing existed. I think there may have been a class-action suit, but not sure. And then came the play in the rear-wheel bearing. I'll admit that it was a great-riding bike, when it was in good shape, but that was one bike I was happy to get rid of.

I'm hoping those problems are sorted out by now (they must be), but I still don't think the F800's are worthy of the BMW name. The design's just not on par with the R-twins they produce. The Interceptor would be my choice for something like this. Good luck.
This is the kind of thing that worries me. I would feel stupid if I bought a brand new bike and then had a series of headaches with it. My CBR250R has been completely bullet-proof and it creates a definite sense of trust and brand loyalty.
Elipten_imp said:
I am an old school BMW rider since my early 20s, and these "BMW" F bikes are not BMW. Management has cheapened the brand with such junk to expand the buyer pool. I suspect KTM is the new BMW. I will only ride and own old school BMW bikes. Sorry if this offends anyone, but a man has to stand on principle and draw the line someplace.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I appreciate your experienced opinion.
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill

I've been pondering this question since my last post and thought of a couple of other things I wanted to say.

My first burst of riding was in my late teens in the early 70s. I did a bit of short-haul touring and managed perfectly well on a old CB175 and then a Suzuki 250. I forget the model, but it was a 2 stroke. Both carried a load of gear. The Honda didn't have a chance with chaps with 350s, 500s, 750s and the like; the Suzuki could out accelerate some of them but wasn't quite so comfortable at speed. But I was happy enough touring over short distances. Of course what I really wanted back in those days was a CB500 Four or a CB750 Four.

I then retired from riding for quite a while. When I returned it was on a scooter that I used strictly for commuting. I then retired from that and, although I'd ride other people's bikes given the opportunity, I basically stayed away from it until late in 2010 when I decided to get going again and bought a used Honda Shadow 750C, partly because of it's height: I'm not tall—5'7" with a 30" in-seam. I had plenty fun on it, but I never really bonded with it. The different riding position to the UJMs of my youth, the noise it made, the different seating position and handling didn't really appeal. That said, I may well have kept it longer if, on the day I picked it up or shortly afterwards, I saw a beautiful, white, 2010 CB1100 and fell in love. I did nothing about it for a couple of years and then bought a second-hand one. It's pretty much all the bike I ever wanted. I love the look of it; I love riding it; it is the realisation of a long-held dream to own a Japanese in-line 4.

I joined this forum and got an invitation from Pterodactyl to join him on a ride to Mildura. It meant a couple of weeks away and about 3,000-4,000 kms riding. I'd never done anything like it, but I was keen to try for various reasons. We had a great time and I really enjoyed myself. I've since done a few other rides with Pterodactyl including a trip to the Australian MotoGP last year and then points beyond. That covered about 7,500 kms. All on the unfaired CB with top box and other bits and pieces tied on. To give you some idea, I've had the bike since September 2013 and covered a bit more than 34,000 kms on it.

I still love the bike. It works for me and I've been really happy touring on it. I intend to keep touring and I've no plans to replace the CB1100. IN part that's because I'll have to be a one bike person.

BUT ...

... there's some things you may like to consider.

The CB suits me just fine for touring. But I've got no experience of anything much else to compare it with.

I'm only likely to have one bike at a time so it has to do a few things. That involves compromises.

Nearly everyone around here is pretty keen on the CB1100, although, as the earlier parts of this thread show, there's more than enough experience of other bikes and honesty to give you a fair bit to chew over.

My experience with the Shadow (and with many other things in life) is that it's important to get what's right for you. Blow everybody else.

If all you want to do is tour and you want a comfortable bike set up to do just that, the CB1100, beautiful though she is, may not be for you. If you commute, do weekend rides and want to do the odd longer tour, you may find the CB1100 a bit more useable than the CBR250R. It gobbles up miles on the highway or back roads without revving too high; it loves hills; it doesn't seem to notice a bag of gear, a full top box and a load of camping equipment; it's fun on a twisty road; and, with an AirHawk cushion is not too uncomfortable to sit on all day for days on end.

If you'll still love it after the compromises you have to make, buy one. If not, buy the bike that really works for you and then tell us about it. Most of us will be interested.

But I can't stress enough: make sure you buy the bike that is right for what you want to do with it and that you'll continue to enjoy doing it on.

Good luck!
This is a fantastic testimonial. Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully share your impressions. Even though I'm entering only my fourth season of riding, my riding / touring experiences are kind of similar to yours. All of the touring I have done has been on bikes with little to no wind protection:
[ul] [li]CBR250R[/li] [li]CB1100[/li] [li]NC750S
[/li][/ul]
I have briefly ridden a friend's ST1100. Didn't get over 55 mph on some two-lane roads for a 30-minute lunch hour jaunt. I didn't get the impression that the fairing and tall windshield were "awesome"...actually I felt that the mass in front of me was a little isolating...less sense of "magic carpet" flying along over the roadway.

Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill

I've been pondering this question since my last post and thought of a couple of other things I wanted to say.

My first burst of riding was in my late teens in the early 70s. I did a bit of short-haul touring and managed perfectly well on a old CB175 and then a Suzuki 250. I forget the model, but it was a 2 stroke. Both carried a load of gear. The Honda didn't have a chance with chaps with 350s, 500s, 750s and the like; the Suzuki could out accelerate some of them but wasn't quite so comfortable at speed. But I was happy enough touring over short distances. Of course what I really wanted back in those days was a CB500 Four or a CB750 Four.

I then retired from riding for quite a while. When I returned it was on a scooter that I used strictly for commuting. I then retired from that and, although I'd ride other people's bikes given the opportunity, I basically stayed away from it until late in 2010 when I decided to get going again and bought a used Honda Shadow 750C, partly because of it's height: I'm not tall—5'7" with a 30" in-seam. I had plenty fun on it, but I never really bonded with it. The different riding position to the UJMs of my youth, the noise it made, the different seating position and handling didn't really appeal. That said, I may well have kept it longer if, on the day I picked it up or shortly afterwards, I saw a beautiful, white, 2010 CB1100 and fell in love. I did nothing about it for a couple of years and then bought a second-hand one. It's pretty much all the bike I ever wanted. I love the look of it; I love riding it; it is the realisation of a long-held dream to own a Japanese in-line 4.

I joined this forum and got an invitation from Pterodactyl to join him on a ride to Mildura. It meant a couple of weeks away and about 3,000-4,000 kms riding. I'd never done anything like it, but I was keen to try for various reasons. We had a great time and I really enjoyed myself. I've since done a few other rides with Pterodactyl including a trip to the Australian MotoGP last year and then points beyond. That covered about 7,500 kms. All on the unfaired CB with top box and other bits and pieces tied on. To give you some idea, I've had the bike since September 2013 and covered a bit more than 34,000 kms on it.

I still love the bike. It works for me and I've been really happy touring on it. I intend to keep touring and I've no plans to replace the CB1100. IN part that's because I'll have to be a one bike person.

BUT ...

... there's some things you may like to consider.

The CB suits me just fine for touring. But I've got no experience of anything much else to compare it with.

I'm only likely to have one bike at a time so it has to do a few things. That involves compromises.

Nearly everyone around here is pretty keen on the CB1100, although, as the earlier parts of this thread show, there's more than enough experience of other bikes and honesty to give you a fair bit to chew over.

My experience with the Shadow (and with many other things in life) is that it's important to get what's right for you. Blow everybody else.

If all you want to do is tour and you want a comfortable bike set up to do just that, the CB1100, beautiful though she is, may not be for you. If you commute, do weekend rides and want to do the odd longer tour, you may find the CB1100 a bit more useable than the CBR250R. It gobbles up miles on the highway or back roads without revving too high; it loves hills; it doesn't seem to notice a bag of gear, a full top box and a load of camping equipment; it's fun on a twisty road; and, with an AirHawk cushion is not too uncomfortable to sit on all day for days on end.

If you'll still love it after the compromises you have to make, buy one. If not, buy the bike that really works for you and then tell us about it. Most of us will be interested.

But I can't stress enough: make sure you buy the bike that is right for what you want to do with it and that you'll continue to enjoy doing it on.

Good luck!
Very compelling! I do think that I am a person who is tolerant of compromise. Just one look at my little CBR250R is proof of that I think. However screaming down the motorway is perhaps one compromise that I am tired of...the CB1100 would alleviate three out of four "fatigue factors" from the highway experience:
[ul] [li]Excessively high engine RPM / excessive throttle rotation (big improvement)[/li] [li]Low passing power (big improvement)[/li] [li]Slipstream "push around" (has to be better; CB weighs nearly 200 pounds more than the CBR)[/li] [li]Wind blast (no obvious change; CB may actually be a little better i.e. CB clean air vs. turbulent air pointed at helmet from tiny CBR windscreen)
[/li][/ul]
I only tour one-two weeks a year, however with a larger bike I could see myself extending that. However it would be solo, so I can control the riding conditions to suit myself. For the rest of the time, the CB would be a great "all-rounder" as the Germans call Standards. It would be very different kind of bike than my CBR so I could choose one or the other depending on my riding mood. If I feel like a spirited honk in the local Kentucky twisties, I might choose the CBR. If I feel like a more relaxed countryside ride to admire the charms of the Bluegrass State, I could hop on the CB. And if I want to take a long trip out of town, the CB has much more competence and capability for that mission than my CBR, so I would be a lot better off in that situation.

The more I think about it, the more I think the CB1100 could be the "do-it-all" second bike for me. I also feel much more comfortable with Honda as a brand than I do with BMW. The other thought I have is that there will always be bikes in the future like the F800GT, but that might not be the case with the CB1100. The last thing I'll say is that I just plain like the CB1100 more than I like the F800GT...it makes me happy just looking at it and thinking about riding it.
Stichill,

The above is very true. The CB1100 is no longer being imported into the U.S. Perhaps it will be in the future but I wouldn't bet on it. I can get new dirt bikes or a new H-D Road King, but there is no replacement for the CB1100.

Chip
 
One of the big reasons I bought a Moto Guzzi when I got back into riding; I wanted a unique bike that would be seen everywhere. Which was very true of the Quota. Now that I have a Griso; well in Phoenix we seem to have a hot bed of Griso's here and I've seen as many as four or five at Sunday coffee.

It's the dang CB1100 that is like hens teeth around here. I've only seen a couple in the wild. :)

Better grab one while you can.......... :D
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Cool...Now go get one ASAP and let me know if you're going to be anywhere near St. Charles, Mo, Springfield, MO, Harrison, AR, or Eureka Springs, AR on your trip and we can get a photo of "two non-touring" touring bikes together. We're also stopping at Niehaus Cycle Sales, Litchfield, IL on the afternoon of the 13th for lunch, I think, and to just stretch our legs in a motorcycle-friendly environment.

:)
Ha, ha! OK! :thumbsup:

We leave Northern Kentucky early on June 16 and overnight on the south end of Land Between the Lakes in Dover, TN. We arrive in Arkansas the evening of June 17. We'll have a base cabin in Mountain View and we will be hitting Eureka Springs on June 18 and Hot Springs Village on June 19. Then we hit the road back to Northern Kentucky early on June 20 and overnight near Bay City, IL north of Paducah.
Rboe_imp said:
One of the big reasons I bought a Moto Guzzi when I got back into riding; I wanted a unique bike that would be seen everywhere. Which was very true of the Quota. Now that I have a Griso; well in Phoenix we seem to have a hot bed of Griso's here and I've seen as many as four or five at Sunday coffee.

It's the dang CB1100 that is like hens teeth around here. I've only seen a couple in the wild. :)

Better grab one while you can.......... :D
I like that. :cool:
 
Sounds like youve got a great trip planned and also looks like our paths will not likely cross. Ya never know, though, and your Arai lid is pretty easy to spot. LOL
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Sounds like youve got a great trip planned and also looks like our paths will not likely cross. Ya never know, though, and your Arai lid is pretty easy to spot. LOL
Yeah, the hi-viz is part of my "spousal acceptance of riding agreement." :P

When I walk into a restaurant on a ride, sometimes an HD "pirate" will say stuff like "You're hard to miss!" or "They'll see you comin'!"

I always respond, "Well, I'm a motorcyclist. I need to be seen in order to stay alive."

This is usually met with a blank stare of non-comprehension.
 
Stich,

This is what makes this forum special, image just being interested in the CB1100 going to 6 pages in a few days. I think at this point you would almost feel guilty not buying one :D
 
Thread starter
F800GT Test Ride Report

So, I had made an appointment for a test ride earlier in the week. I was going to cancel it, but when I woke up this morning I decided to go ahead and take the test ride in the interest of being completely informed about the character of both bikes.

I live in Northern Kentucky in the Greater Cincinnati area. The closest BMW dealer is in Louisville, about an hour and a half ride on the interstate. I decided to ride my CR250R on the interstate to get fully soaked in that experience, in hopes of getting the chance to test the F800GT on the interstate.

On the way down on the 250, I made up my mind to ride the speed limit of 70 mph, only going to 75 mph to overtake slower vehicles. It made a big difference; it's still not fun to ride the 250 at those speeds but it is not nearly as fatigue-inducing as 80-85 mph.

Louisville turned out to be a construction hell zone at this time of year. I got stuck in the wrong lane and ended up crossing the bridge to Indiana by mistake. Bad move…there was a massive jam-up at the on ramp to go back south over the bridge. It took me 30 minutes to get back to Kentucky, a distance of about one mile. Strike One BMW: it would be necessary to trailer the bike to - and through - Louisville every time I needed to leave it for service.

Anyway, I had time to eat so I stopped for lunch. Struck up a conversation with a guy who used to ride a 919. He was absolutely fascinated by my 250.

At the dealer, which oddly enough is a joint HD/BMW operation, I met the sales guy and we looked over the bike. I asked about the low seat and ultra-low seat options. He said he would not recommend them as they are very thin and uncomfortable. He said it would be best to send the seat to a custom shop to have comfortable low cushioning installed. Strike Two BMW. I sat on the bike. Rather wide at the front. I could just put my toes down, not the balls of my feet. Custom seat would be needed eventually.

He told me all about the lean-angle-sensing traction control that prevents over-throttle low sides in corners. "With traction control engaged - I don't care how far you're leaned over - you can nail the throttle and you will not low side. The only way you could low side is if you struck a huge patch of gravel."

I asked about warranty. Three years comprehensive. Extended warranty? Not from BMW. Strike Three BMW.

For the actual test ride, the salesman donned a bucket helmet and threw a leg over some kind of HD cruiser (they all look alike to me :P). I followed him around the block and up onto the interstate. First impression of the F800GT is how good the ride quality is. I'm not picky about ride quality but the bike felt really smooth and tight, and absorbed the bumps in the streets completely. The power was of course much more than I am accustomed to, but that engine is…odd. It is very quiet. I had a hard time hearing the revs and had to check the tachometer often. When you twist the throttle hard, the engine emits an unusual vertically vibrating sensation, not unlike a mobile phone set to vibrate. So you actually sense the revs more by the feeling of the vibration than by the sound of the engine.

The front brake is a monster. I was giving it too much pressure at first and resorted to two fingers because my muscle memory could not unlearn my habit in 20 minutes.

The wind protection was decent. Due to traffic, we only got up to 70 mph briefly a couple of times, so it was hard to form an opinion. I only remember everything seemed smoother and quieter at speed than my 250, and I'm sure that 90% of the effect was because the engine was not screaming.

I would need to put the one inch factory bar risers on it, because the reach was a little too far and I was leaning forward too much. Also the factory bars are very wide. I felt like they were too wide and that narrower bars would be better.

On the way back we got caught in more crawling stop-and-go Louisville traffic. It didn't take long until I noticed a substantial amount of heat coming out of the engine and warming my inside legs above the knees. I could imagine it getting pretty darned hot in the summer.

I didn't get to ride any twisties but I could easily tell that the bike is highly agile. Overall it feels as agile as my 250. In fact, in many ways it feels like a bigger, faster, smoother version of my bike. However it definitely has less engine character than my thumper. I could not see adding it as a second bike to my 250; it would be a bike that replaced my 250 because there is so much mission overlap.

The more I think about the F800GT, the more I think it is a bike I would like to rent but not own. If I wanted to take a long European tour or a cross-country trip in the US, it would be my first choice as a rental for the trip. But considering the purchase price, the inconvenient (for me) dealer location, the possibly high cost of scheduled maintenance, the complexity of the electronic systems and the risk of high repair cost once out of warranty…it all adds up to a bike that could become more of a headache than a pleasure to own.
 
Stich, we must live pretty close, I live just east of Cinti about 30 miles. Anyhow my son got his Ducati from right next door to the Harley/Beemer place, and yes, a total pia to trailer back and forth for service.

BTW if you need a test ride on a CB might I suggest a trip to Beechmont Motorsports just off I 275 at the St Rt 125 exit. Good guys I've bought a bunch of bikes there.
 
Front brake on the CB is very very good. Better than my Griso. Never rode the F800GT so I can't compare. The CB will put out some heat in stop and go traffic, but in general it has to be very hot in Phoenix for me to notice it. The Griso is much worse in that regard. The 650L is not a problem. :)

Had to raise the bars on the 650L and the Griso, but not the CB (yet). Custom seats needed all around. :)

I'll be keen to hear your impression of the CB once you ride it.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Front brake on the CB is very very good. Better than my Griso. Never rode the F800GT so I can't compare. The CB will put out some heat in stop and go traffic, but in general it has to be very hot in Phoenix for me to notice it. The Griso is much worse in that regard. The 650L is not a problem. :)

Had to raise the bars on the 650L and the Griso, but not the CB (yet). Custom seats needed all around. :)

I'll be keen to hear your impression of the CB once you ride it.
The F800GT front brake is amazing. I could not believe the light pressure combined with very efficient deceleration. I never even went anywhere near the limits but that brake was impressive to say the least. I rode the CB1100 in Germany last year. I don't remember any impression that the brake was a beast, but it seemed up to the job for sure.

If you've ever driven a German-spec'd car in Germany, you will understand that they take their brakes very seriously. With the autobahn, that is an absolute "must." For many years, you never saw Japanese cars in Germany because the brakes just couldn't cut it. That seems to be changing these days.
The ferret_imp said:
Wow that's a good tip about Beechmont. I have never been there. Our little Florence dealer is "OK" to work on my CBR250R but these days they are doing a lot of quad repairs so the shop is full of mud dust. I dropped off my bike there for its 16k valve clearance inspection - all cleaned up and looking good - as a courtesy to the mechanic and to leave the impression that it is a cared-for bike. It came back covered in brown dust and with a boogered up timing inspection port cover. I have been thinking of switching to Maysville but maybe Beechmont is the better option.

Recently I've become aware of a humble little shop south of Walton, Kentucky called South 25 Cycle. The owner, Nate, seems to be a carbureted Honda guru. My buddy bought a '94 VFR750 from Arizona and it turned out the carbs were completely gummed up. This guy in Walton got it running like a Swiss watch on nitro. :D

So...used 2014 CB1100 DLX models for sale seem to be non-existent. In Ohio, Honda of Marysville seems to be the most aggressive on price (that's where I got my CBR250R).
 
Stitch,

John has a 2014 DLX he was willing to let go for 10K out the door. I spoke with him last week. Shipping would be about 550.00 This includes all rebates.
http://www.newenglandcycleworks.com/

I though it was a great deal, was thinking of a trade on my 2013, he wanted $4600 and my bike. Test ride one, if you like it here's a deal.
 
Back
Top