Touring: CB1100 vs. F800GT

Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Stitch,

John has a 2014 DLX he was willing to let go for 10K out the door. I spoke with him last week. Shipping would be about 550.00 This includes all rebates.
http://www.newenglandcycleworks.com/

I though it was a great deal, was thinking of a trade on my 2013, he wanted $4600 and my bike. Test ride one, if you like it here's a deal.
Thanks for that! I'm heading out for a week-long overseas business trip, so I will be out of pocket for a while (I may be able to pop back in here from time to time). I don't know John...a user on this forum?
Ferret and EmptySea, these pictures are confidence-inspiring! :thumbsup:

eec3836934c903827f99e09fe3bfb371.jpg


3a54b1492e3046870c448627b6a16c94.jpg
 
Thread starter
Hey gang,

I just wanted to circle back with you guys. I think you are an amazing group of people. I have been on a lot of forums because I have many interests, and I have to say this is one of the finest. It's you guys who make it that way.

I think I entered the market a little late. I had a false impression that supply was available based on internet listings. These turned out to be completely misleading. The supply of 2014 DLX models had already dried up and there was a great sucking sound in the Midwest as East Coast and other buyers invaded upon the arrival of warm weather to pull their triggers. Being a deliberative sort...I screwed up and missed the boat. I accept that...now. I had 24 hours of utter panic and misery as I frantically searched four states for an available bike. Then I suddenly stopped and said to myself, "What am I doing?! Motorcycling is supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be relaxing. It is supposed to take away the stress of daily living. I have gotten myself in the exact opposite situation...this needs to end, now."

So...I abandoned the quest. I don't want to be on any kind of quest.

I went back to first principles, which were: "What bike should I get for touring longer distances?"

Objectively, the F800GT ticks all the right boxes for this mission. But I realized I was looking for reasons not to get the GT because I just thought the CB1100 was cooler.

Well - you guys know this - the CB1100 is cooler. But I'm not in need of cool. I'm in need of capable. And the GT is more capable for what I need it to do.

So, long story short, my GT is on order and I could not be more excited about it! I feel like it will open up vast new geographies for me to ride, because I can reach them faster and in better comfort. Yet, when I arrive at the riding destination I will be on an agile, lightweight bike just itching to be thrown into one curve after another.

I still want a CB1100...but I will pick one up down the road as a used bike. I will ride it on warm Sunday afternoons and I will love it! But in the meantime, that hi-viz helmet you see zooming past on a blue sport-touring bike will be me.
 
Well congrats Stichill. The end game here is being happy, and it sounds like you've found something which will make you happy. That's a win in my book. We are motorcycle enthusiasts first, and CB 1100 owners second. So we are happy for you and share in your anticipation. We hope you will stop back and show us your new ride, let us know how you're enjoying it. We have a couple other Beemers on the forum so there is precedence for you to hang around. if you choose not to do so, I say enjoy your new bike, have fun and ride safe!
 
Thread starter
Thanks, ferret! As a CB1100 fan (once bitten, never cured), I will certainly stick around! You guys are literate, eloquent, sincere, and chill...and I love that! I love your Seat Time area. If you are interested in my wanderings, I would love to contribute.

I've already made contact with a cool guy on another GT in my area. We're definitely going to be riding together locally. What I found fascinating is that he also owns a Guzzi Norge, which is another bike I dig! :cool:
 
Things like this work out for the best. I hope you do get a CB in the future. In the meantime, enjoy your new bike and keep an eye out for a fat old guy on a red CB1100 when your in the Ozarks (in just a few more weeks!)
 
Thread starter
I appreciate it, EmptySea. I admire you, your bike, and your two-wheeled lifestyle. I think you have it sorted out really well and I wish you safe travels to the Ozarks! I know you will be posting another epic report and I can't wait to enjoy it.
 
I think you will be mighty happy touring on that F 800 GT. I know I would be. I would also be very interested in a review of the bike once you've thoroughly tested it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well congrats Stichill. The end game here is being happy, and it sounds like you've found something which will make you happy. That's a win in my book. We are motorcycle enthusiasts first, and CB 1100 owners second. So we are happy for you and share in your anticipation. We hope you will stop back and show us your new ride, let us know how you're enjoying it. We have a couple other Beemers on the forum so there is precedence for you to hang around. if you choose not to do so, I say enjoy your new bike, have fun and ride safe!
Not this little black duck! I'm a CB 1100 owner first and a motorcycle enthusiast second or third. You're a traitor, Stichill, and you ought to be thoroughly ashamed of yourself! :P

Just kidding.

Congratulations on making a decision that works for you. I hope you'll be really happy on the F800GT. I'll also look forward to pictures, review of the bike and lots of reports and pictures of your adventures.

I also hope a CB1100 ends on your inventory sometime in the future.

Best wishes.
 
Congrats on the new bike and please hang around. No need to be a CB1100 owner here. I will look forward to your impressions of the F800GT.
 
Please do post about your F800GT. I considered getting one before I ended up with an ST and would love to hear about yours!
 
Thread starter
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the support before and after my decision!

I shall return! :biker:
 
We fully expect pics and trip reports in the Other Bike section. I hope that bike is the cats meow for you!
 
Thread starter
Pick it up on Tuesday 19 May! :)

Took awhile to arrive at my local dealer from the warehouse in New Jersey, USA.

This:


Plus this:


Equals this:
 
Excellent! It's the end of 19/05/2015 here so it must be just starting out in the US. Enjoy that bike, mate. We look forward to pictures and reports.
 
LOL love the last pic.

Congrats my man, beautiful motorcycle. Now go have fun, and ride safe.
 
I find the F800ST/F800GT to be one of the better looking bikes exhibiting current design standards. I love a well executed single sided swingarm with the fully exposed rear wheel, and BMW nailed it on this bike.

That setup reminds me a bit of my Hawk GT:
0b89e4cccd527c55353f5c7c58e9b2a7.jpg


Any bike that makes me think of the Hawk gets a thumbs up from me.:thumbsup:
Looking forward to reading about your experiences with the bike.

Enjoy!!! (I know that you will :D )
 
Thread starter
Picked up the bike on Tuesday from the dealer in Louisville, Kentucky. Rode it to La Grange, Kentucky to meet up with my future son-in-law, to whom I had lent my 2012 CBR250R for the day.

I am running a tight schedule and need to head to an appointment right now, but I will return later with a brief ride report and riding impressions. The short version is: I love it!








First ride to work today:

 
Congratulations Stichill. I'm sure you'll be very happy together.
 
Back
Top