Touring: CB1100 vs. F800GT

Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I've toured on a TS-125 (across the Dakota's and Minnesota - not recommended), CJ360T and a KZ550 Ltd back in the day. This time around I've toured on a Moto Guzzi Quota and the MG Griso. For touring I find twins easier on the mind and body than the inline four. So I'm going to recommend the Norge. Fully faired, very nice motor, easy to maintain yourself (e.g. valves are adjusted with a lock nut and screw, no shims, 15 minute job once you get the hang of it). Shaft drive (I think shafts are nice, no need to worry about chain lube and adjustment, on the other hand, you can't adjust the read drive ratio easily and chain and sprockets is a very cheap drive line rebuild - while shafts can be trouble free, if things break, and they can, it can be expensive).

I'd get a Norge, probably should have gotten one as I keep trying to make the Griso a Norge, but the seating is a wee bit cramped for my 36" inseam.

For touring I prefer a windscreen and something to protect my legs. I lean towards soft luggage but the Quota had panniers and they spoiled me. Still have the soft luggage because I'm cheap. :)

I'd steer you away from the BMW as in my opinion they are too clever by half making the bike too complicated to service and keep the reliability up. Expensive to repair once off of warranty. Otherwise, it's a good bike.

Take a look at a VFR from Honda. Too much tupperware in the way to work on easily, but other wise a fine machine at a great discount because for some reason it was not loved by the buying public. In black it's not as pretty as your 250 in red and sliver. But they may look too much alike to have both in your kit. Diversity is nice!

The CB would make a nice touring package (look at all the guys and gals that toured on the old CB550's, 750's and even 350F's back in the day!). Personally, I prefer the V twin Griso motor on the open road.
Much to consider here - thank you. The Norge is really cool. I think the price might be up there a bit, maybe in the $16k range. I need to look at the used market and see if there are many available around here. Surprisingly there's a dealer in the area (Cincinnati).
Well, I've got an appointment for a test ride on the F800GT Friday afternoon. Strictly an information gathering exercise at this point. I will report back impressions with comparisons to my memories of the 2013 CB1100.
 
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a VFR! Absolutely brilliant bike for touring, and good enough for some more sporty rides. Having done a fair bit of touring over the years on different types of bikes, I always preferred doing it on sports tourers like the VFR or the Ducati ST. I know they are great tourers, but personally I never really liked the more upright bikes like a big GS. I do like the F800GT though, and the parallel twin is a very nice engine.

As for the CB, I would be more than happy to tour with it, but as has been mentioned it would be a bit of a compromise. That said, if you are hooked on the looks, and who wouldn't be, then why not. I did some long tours on a Moto Morini Corsaro as well, which is a hooligan street fighter sort of bike certainly not for the faint of heart, and had a great time.
 
Surprisingly there's a dealer in the area (Cincinnati).

I'm in Cinti. As far as I know the nearest Guzzi dealer is in Cleveland.
 
At the time I am posting this reply...the VFR has been mentioned twice & was bubbling to my mind prior to reading of its mention while going through the 22 posts so far(which is admirable that such thoughtful replies have occurred since Stichill asked for discussion!)...Considering the type of touring mentioned...rather "sporty" rides on tours...the VFR's just might be a good choice...whether the labeled 800cc or the 1200cc...already have the sport fairing/windshield style/function that you are use to with CBR...hard or soft bags or just tail bag & side-stand up! & GO!...probably good deals to be had on late model VFR 1200's...or find a pristine 07 Special Edition Red/White/Blue 800cc...Oh, wait!...you came to the CB1100 Forum to ask for input on your "decision tree"...as I do not own one...but maybe sometime?...while I can/do have experience with VFR's...& suggest you consider how they seem to "upgrade"/"match" your CBR riding "style"
 
I'll be darned. They must have just become a Guzzi dealer. They were sort of a catch all European brand independent service center specializing in BMW's, and selling used bikes. I have been in there many times. Hard to find. One little section in a section of buildings that doesn't face the street. Seem to be good guys. Last time we were there my brother bought a can of plexus.
 
Thread starter
Regarding the VFR800F Interceptor: very interesting, however the forward lean is a lot more sport than tour. I usually use cycle-ergo to check my fit on bikes. I've modeled my exisiting CBR250R with Helibars, the F800GT with low seat option, the CB1100 stock, and the VFR800F stock. Unless I could do something with the bars on the VFR, I think it's out.

Me on a stock CBR250R (uncomfortably forward lean):


Me on my CBR250R with Helibars (perfect comfort and sport touring position):


Me on an F800GT with low seat option:


Me on a CB1100:


Me on a 2014 VFR800F:

Possible solution but only reduced forward lean by 2 degrees. I modeled it as 1.25" up and 0.25" back.

 
You look perfect on the CB1100 :) However, you need a different color riding suit. This one just washes you out.
 
I test drove a F800 Dakar last summer and really wanted to like it but the motor was not my cup of tea. Very bland power band in my opinion. Would rather tour on a ktm 690 or Dr650 than the bmw 800 (if we are talking about light weight bikes).
 
I was thinking more along the lines of the 1200 VFR,.... :)

I think there may be deals on the Norge, check out the WildGuzzi forum, they have a Classifieds area too. With so many good bikes to choose from, once you find one that fits you I think you'll be set. Was at the GoAZ dealer in Scottsdale this afternoon, oiy! So many nice bikes!
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
You look perfect on the CB1100 :) However, you need a different color riding suit. This one just washes you out.
You should see me shopping for helmets with that perfectly round head of mine! :P
Rboe_imp said:
I was thinking more along the lines of the 1200 VFR,.... :)

I think there may be deals on the Norge, check out the WildGuzzi forum, they have a Classifieds area too. With so many good bikes to choose from, once you find one that fits you I think you'll be set. Was at the GoAZ dealer in Scottsdale this afternoon, oiy! So many nice bikes!
They look awesome, in fact my CBR250R has similar "layered look" styling that I find appealing. However I have never seen one in a US dealer showroom with manual shift. They all seem to have DCT pushbutton automatics. I know that manual versions were made because I've seen them in Germany. I guess one of the main raps on the 1200 is big thirst + small tank = limited range...and high price.

The VFR800 is often called the first sport touring bike or "the gentleman's sportbike."
 
Thread starter
I'd like to thank all of you for your freely offered personal opinions. There's no right or wrong when it comes to individual preference in motorcycles. I think every post offered me a lot of value. You guys are a class bunch!
 
Most of us have had a lot of bikes (some more than others) over the years and know that even for ourselves, different bike scratch different itches at different times in our lives. Today, it's very hard to point to a bike and "that is a POS, avoid it!". Most bikes are very good for their intended purpose and there are too many good ones to choose from.

There is a thread over the Guzzi forum, of all things, a guy is looking for advise on Buying a Hyosung 650. Basically a Suzuki SV650, it would be a good choice for someone on a budget. Or someone looking for an inexpensive but good second bike. By the way, most of us advised him to go for it if it fit him. :)

Let us know what you get! (If you are near Phoenix, there is a good used one for sale at GoAZ!).
 
I simply don't have the experience of all the bikes other members have mentioned. Indeed, I don't have years of motorcycle touring history, but I have done a couple of serious tours on my CB1100. I have no fairing or screen and a top box. I also have an AirHawk seat cushion! For the rest I heave a duffel and, where necessary, camping gear on the seat and off I go. It's been just fine. It cruises comfortably at Australia's speed limits all day, the additional weight doesn't seem to make any difference to the performance and it remains a delight to ride.

I'm sure there are bikes that are way better for extended touring, but I can afford only one bike which I want to use for the occasional tour. The CB1100 does me just fine.

By the way, your CB250 looks just great.
 
Yeah... "A couple of serious tours". There's an understatement if ever there was one. Cormanus may not have as much general motorcycle experience as some folks here, but he has as many CB1100 touring miles (or kilometers) as any of us, or nearly so. He knows this bike.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
First off..BS on the 250 not being a highway machine. It's not without drawbacks as noted, but it works just fine on the highway. I rode mine all over the place before I got my CB. While we're at it, BS on screens, fairings, saddlebags, as requirements to tour on the CB. Oh, and one more thing, never noticed buzzing over 65, never felt like I was being blown off it, and I got used to the seat. I have 15,000 miles on mine with no windscreen. Two week long trips to NC/Tenn, Two weekend trips to Wisconsin, and another week planned to the Ozarks. Most folks like a screen for touring, but it's fine without it. I'll let someone else comment on the ergos, the chain, and the maintence, but none of them have been a barrier to my travels.

I'm not trying to talk you into it, but it's a wonderfully versatile bike. Strap a good sized waterproof duffle on the back and take off for a week. There are better touring bikes and you may already be riding a better around-town bike right now. Someone said of this bike that it's not great at anything (except turning heads), but it's very good at almost everything and isn't bad at whatever's left.

I hope you're keeping the CBR. Love that bike.
Any reliable motorcycle is a good fit for touring. A 250cc bike gets excellent gas mileage, and might even be more suitable than bigger bikes with lesser range. The only thing that can make a bike non suitable for highway riding, is truly the sitting position. Standard position is ideal, and even often better than cruisers with forward controls. All Harley touring rigs have a very conservative sitting geometry. Nothing with rear set controls, and clip on bars will ever do. People tour on scooters, and have a great time. To me a motorcycle should be reliable, fun, and cheap. Both my Triumph Scrambler and my CB1100 are just that. I have a harder time justifying $15k-20k bikes, for a set of hard bags, and a fairing. It's nice if you have the money, but IMHO way over rated. Any bike over 800cc will do find for 2 people and gears. Anything bigger is just ice on the cake. I would love to tour the world on a Kawasaki KLR650. Its a 651cc bullet proof, water cooled, fuel injected single, that gets around 50mpg on a 6.1gl tank. People do it all the time.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I simply don't have the experience of all the bikes other members have mentioned. Indeed, I don't have years of motorcycle touring history, but I have done a couple of serious tours on my CB1100. I have no fairing or screen and a top box. I also have an AirHawk seat cushion! For the rest I heave a duffel and, where necessary, camping gear on the seat and off I go. It's been just fine. It cruises comfortably at Australia's speed limits all day, the additional weight doesn't seem to make any difference to the performance and it remains a delight to ride.

I'm sure there are bikes that are way better for extended touring, but I can afford only one bike which I want to use for the occasional tour. The CB1100 does me just fine.

By the way, your CB250 looks just great.
This is so encouraging! I think there's something to be said for "clean air". I have ridden the CB1100 and a Hawk GT...in both cases I never objected to the wind blast. However on my own 250 I did find it necessary to deflect the wind higher to get it off my neck. Maybe unfared bikes are underappreciated? Perhaps the choice should be between "naked" and "fully fared batwing"?

Cormanus_imp said:
I simply don't have the experience of all the bikes other members have mentioned. Indeed, I don't have years of motorcycle touring history, but I have done a couple of serious tours on my CB1100. I have no fairing or screen and a top box. I also have an AirHawk seat cushion! For the rest I heave a duffel and, where necessary, camping gear on the seat and off I go. It's been just fine. It cruises comfortably at Australia's speed limits all day, the additional weight doesn't seem to make any difference to the performance and it remains a delight to ride.

I'm sure there are bikes that are way better for extended touring, but I can afford only one bike which I want to use for the occasional tour. The CB1100 does me just fine.

By the way, your CB250 looks just great.
Thank you...it's a keeper! :)
Ghis_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
First off..BS on the 250 not being a highway machine. It's not without drawbacks as noted, but it works just fine on the highway. I rode mine all over the place before I got my CB. While we're at it, BS on screens, fairings, saddlebags, as requirements to tour on the CB. Oh, and one more thing, never noticed buzzing over 65, never felt like I was being blown off it, and I got used to the seat. I have 15,000 miles on mine with no windscreen. Two week long trips to NC/Tenn, Two weekend trips to Wisconsin, and another week planned to the Ozarks. Most folks like a screen for touring, but it's fine without it. I'll let someone else comment on the ergos, the chain, and the maintence, but none of them have been a barrier to my travels.

I'm not trying to talk you into it, but it's a wonderfully versatile bike. Strap a good sized waterproof duffle on the back and take off for a week. There are better touring bikes and you may already be riding a better around-town bike right now. Someone said of this bike that it's not great at anything (except turning heads), but it's very good at almost everything and isn't bad at whatever's left.

I hope you're keeping the CBR. Love that bike.
Any reliable motorcycle is a good fit for touring. A 250cc bike gets excellent gas mileage, and might even be more suitable than bigger bikes with lesser range. The only thing that can make a bike non suitable for highway riding, is truly the sitting position. Standard position is ideal, and even often better than cruisers with forward controls. All Harley touring rigs have a very conservative sitting geometry. Nothing with rear set controls, and clip on bars will ever do. People tour on scooters, and have a great time. To me a motorcycle should be reliable, fun, and cheap. Both my Triumph Scrambler and my CB1100 are just that. I have a harder time justifying $15k-20k bikes, for a set of hard bags, and a fairing. It's nice if you have the money, but IMHO way over rated. Any bike over 800cc will do find for 2 people and gears. Anything bigger is just ice on the cake. I would love to tour the world on a Kawasaki KLR650. Its a 651cc bullet proof, water cooled, fuel injected single, that gets around 50mpg on a 6.1gl tank. People do it all the time.
My CBR250R's fuel economy averages 69 mpg (3,46 L/100km) in spirited backroads riding. However, out on the superslab at 85 mph with the mill turning 9,000 rpm...it drops to around 53 mpg (4,44 L/100km). With a 3.4 gallon (12,87 L) tank, that is not a lot of range. In my group I compete with the Harleys for who needs to stop for fuel first.
 
I rode out Wickenburg way last Saturday. Wind was gusty and going west I was into it. Doing mostly 65-70mph it felt better to put the feet on the rear pegs and lean into the wind. This worked until my left leg fell asleep! Couldn't shift!

Coming back, with the wind, was a bit easier.

I've toured with and without a windscreen; it's easier with. But I know guys that prefer without so pick your poison. :)

Posting the speeds and rpm's brings back memories; one of the main reasons I kept upgrading bikes was to get the rpm range down at freeway speeds. This was back when the national limit was 55. At 55 a windscreen is really not needed except to push off cold air and the rain. 9000 rpm is pretty darn high for cruising at. The bike can probably take it but I bet it would last longer if you limited it to much less than that and got a bigger bike that turned 4-5K at those speeds. E.g. My Griso, in 6th at 5K will be doing about 110mph. :) Same for the Norge. They do like to spin up; with most cruising between 4-5K rpm. I think the CB is in the 5K range on the freeway.
 
Back
Top