Tortilla Flat

gogoAZ_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Went to Tortilla Flat the other day. For those of you in PHX, you know its a decently twisty, but short ride. I haven't been there since 3 years ago when I had my last bike (GSXR750). Well, back then, the road was nice and smooth. Now, the road looked like something from a third world country. Lots of buckled spots, potholes, and...well, just an overall crappy road. The CB handled great, but the road beat me up. I had already ridden about 90 minutes before heading there and my tailbone was feeling abused from the seat. Overall though, was a great day with an amazing machine.
 
Man, what a differently beautiful landscape compared to what I'm used to looking at. Very nice. Thanks for the report and pic
 
I thought roads only buckled in the cold weather states...guess heat takes a toll too.
Many here have replaced their stock seats due to the pain, for me, I found after 3.5K miles, my seat and butt started getting along better, not sure which one won out, but glad they worked it out.
 
Last time I was there the road was pretty beat up (two years ago?). I hear that they don't want to fix it up because the current condition keeps speeds down. Makes sense what with all the wacko's I see on the road.

If I go to Tortilla Flats New Years day (very popular day for that place) I may take the 650L as it eats those kinda roads for breakfast. :)

Much of Cave Creek Road is getting pretty bumpy too. Not really an issue on the CB or the 650L but the Griso will beat me up on that road.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Last time I was there the road was pretty beat up (two years ago?). I hear that they don't want to fix it up because the current condition keeps speeds down. Makes sense what with all the wacko's I see on the road.

If I go to Tortilla Flats New Years day (very popular day for that place) I may take the 650L as it eats those kinda roads for breakfast. :)

Much of Cave Creek Road is getting pretty bumpy too. Not really an issue on the CB or the 650L but the Griso will beat me up on that road.
I don't blame them if that is the actual train of thought ADOT has. But it sucks they won't fix it the us "law abiding citizens" :)
HikerToo_imp said:
I thought roads only buckled in the cold weather states...guess heat takes a toll too.
Many here have replaced their stock seats due to the pain, for me, I found after 3.5K miles, my seat and butt started getting along better, not sure which one won out, but glad they worked it out.
A new seat is on my wish list.
The ferret_imp said:
Man, what a differently beautiful landscape compared to what I'm used to looking at. Very nice. Thanks for the report and pic
There are a lot at scenic roads out here. I wish I could figure out how to make the picture bigger.
I just noticed that the cactus to the left of the bush looks like it's flipping me off. Hahaha
Will give a report on the trip to Jerome, AZ. Heading there tomorrow.
 
Cool..when you are used to looking at forested areas interspersed with corn fields, seeing all that open territory with mountains is fantastic.
 
Would love to take the 1100 to the mountains heading to San Diego! That is some beautiful mountain scenery but there are some spots that can be downright to windy...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.4
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Cool..when you are used to looking at forested areas interspersed with corn fields, seeing all that open territory with mountains is fantastic.
Being originally from IL, I know exactly what you mean.
dBuster_imp said:
Would love to take the 1100 to the mountains heading to San Diego! That is some beautiful mountain scenery but there are some spots that can be downright to windy...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.4
Thats going to be my first long trip. A good friend of mine lives in San Diego and I go there often (cager style). But first I have to save some pennies for a windshield and saddlebags.
 
gogoAZ_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Cool..when you are used to looking at forested areas interspersed with corn fields, seeing all that open territory with mountains is fantastic.
Being originally from IL, I know exactly what you mean.
dBuster_imp said:
Would love to take the 1100 to the mountains heading to San Diego! That is some beautiful mountain scenery but there are some spots that can be downright to windy...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.4
Thats going to be my first long trip. A good friend of mine lives in San Diego and I go there often (cager style). But first I have to save some pennies for a windshield and saddlebags.
Watch those winds on the mountain pass. There is that one stretch that is like a bridge over a what I call a deep trench and that can be pretty bad with cross winds even moving cars all over the place.



Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.4
 
If you go to Jerome, try hitting Page Springs rd on the way back. Head N to Sedona then hang a right. Follow the signs to the Fish Hatchery. It follows oak creek for a few miles and goes by several wineries. I was there a few weeks ago on my scooter and had a great ride. That little valley is like another world. It was actually fall, leaves changing color and dropping. Way diff from Jerome and Sedona.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Well, Jerome was a no-go. The hottie morning weather girl on channel 3 said it was raining north of the valley...bummer. So headed to Tucson instead. Took US60 east from Mesa, then hopped on the AZ177 south to AZ77 into Tucson. And the reverse for the way back. I think I found a sweet spot in my seat. My rear still hurt, just not as bad. Temps were in the upper 60's to low 70's and partly cloudy, but it was a little windy through the mountains. Will have to hit Jerome next week.
 
Starting to get pretty cool in the hills north of town. I better head north pretty darn soon if I want to ride before the snow falls.
 
Went out today NW Phoenix area. Not quite to Tortilla Flat but in the same general region. This is in the Usery Pass area.


In the background you can see the sign pointing the way to Phoenix. This was for the old Air Mail route so planes knew they were on the right track. The Rio Salado Sportsman's Club that runs the shooting range just below the sign still maintains it.

Can't wait it get my windscreen on, got beat up a bit on the highway.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's neat to me that you guys even have things called passes!
 
That is amazing country. I once spent a week in and around Albuquerque, NM. Brilliant. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to ride the area.

If the seat hurts try Airhawk. Easy on and off so you keep the original look if you wish.

Cheers.
 
New Years day a buddy and I took my Griso and CB1100 to Tortilla Flat. We met some Triumph riders in Mesa at 8:30am so it was a cold ride down the 101 from North Phoenix. Luckily I had heated gear so the trip was pleasant.

JJ really liked the CB1100 until we swapped for the ride back and he got to feel the torque and attitude of the Griso. 88, aka The Apache Trail is in rough shape with serious frost heaves. The Honda handled them just fine with its' softer suspension but the Griso was less fun. In fact I lost my license plate on that road somewhere!

The CB1100 was much easier to handle in the tight twisties than the Griso, feeling lighter and quicker. I easily out distanced JJ. In fast sweepers the Griso shows its' tail the CB though.

Once we hit the freeway I found that the pegs are a bit high and the seat a bit low so I was begging for more leg room on the CB. I have the Griso fairly well sorted in this regard; just needing some seat work to be done.

I think I have the windscreen finally dialed in nicely too.

Nice ride but if I do it again I'll take the 650L. Much smoother ride! By the way, the chili is pretty good; but hot.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
That is amazing country. I once spent a week in and around Albuquerque, NM. Brilliant. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to ride the area.

If the seat hurts try Airhawk. Easy on and off so you keep the original look if you wish.

Cheers.
what style & size AirHawk fits the cb1100
 
Back
Top