Torque-Stripes?

Light_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have a question for you all. I've noticed on motorcycles sometimes the bolts have white paint marks on them, "torque-stripes," to indicate the bolts have been torqued. My question is: are these done at the factory, or do mechanics also apply the marks post-factory after they have torqued the bolts? Here is why I ask - I bought my CB1100 used with 526 miles. I asked the dealer if it had had the first service done. He said - "I'm sure we did it when it was brought in at 526 miles." I pressed him, and he maintained it had been done. However, when I look at the oil filter, it has the torque-stripe marks on it. If they were applied at the factory, it would imply the filter has not been replaced, and the first service has not been done. Anyone know?
 
The "torque-stripes" are applied at the factory and I have never seen a mechanic do it at our shop or anywhere else. I have removed and replaced many bolts without removing the white mark. I honestly don't recall seeing that on an oil filter, I know it wasn't on my CB. Nobody, but nobody, torques an oil filter on. Maybe it was intended to just be a check that it is tight?
 
You know for $35 and 30 minutes work you can do it yourself and you will KNOW it was changed.

Any shop worth a hoot will have a paper trail on any work done in the shop. Parts have to get deleted from inventory, mechanics have to get credited (even on used stuff there is an internal labor rate work gets charged to)

I'd ask them to see the work order and if they can't provide one I'd go someplace else and buy oil and an oil filter and change it myself. It's really easy on this bike.

How To do your own 600 mile service
 
Thread starter
Thanks so much for the replies. Yeah, I'll go to the dealer and ask to see paperwork. If not, I'll follow your tutorial. I asked another mechanic and he said the dealership I bought the bike from has been around forever and is very respectable and they probably did the service, but I'll ask for paperwork anyway. If not, I'll follow the tutorial that The Ferret provided.

Thanks!
KennyB_imp said:
The "torque-stripes" are applied at the factory and I have never seen a mechanic do it at our shop or anywhere else. I have removed and replaced many bolts without removing the white mark. I honestly don't recall seeing that on an oil filter, I know it wasn't on my CB. Nobody, but nobody, torques an oil filter on. Maybe it was intended to just be a check that it is tight?
Yeah, maybe it was just a check to show it was tightened. Or maybe it's just a white smudge that I'm thinking is a torque-stripe. Either way, thanks for input!
 
I agree that changing the oil yourself is simple and inexpensive. The problem I would have is if the dealer lied about doing it. I'd like to be able to trust the dealer that sold me the bike...
 
The ferret_imp said:
You know for $35 and 30 minutes work you can do it yourself and you will KNOW it was changed.

Any shop worth a hoot will have a paper trail on any work done in the shop. Parts have to get deleted from inventory, mechanics have to get credited (even on used stuff there is an internal labor rate work gets charged to)

I'd ask them to see the work order and if they can't provide one I'd go someplace else and buy oil and an oil filter and change it myself. It's really easy on this bike.

How To do your own 600 mile service
$35? I did mine yesterday. 4ltrs of Mxxxx xxxx xW-xW oil, KN 204 filter and crush washer came to AUD105. That's about USD 80 at current exchange rates. That's not at a dealer but at a motorcycle accessories shop, marginally cheaper than the dealer.

Just as a matter of interest, after draining the oil and replacing the filter (not torqued), washer and plug bolt, I took 100ml from the oil container, poured the remainder into the bike, and the oil quantity check (as per the manual) came to exactly the upper fill line. Easy peasy.

Doing the remainder of the service and checking the bike over, I was disappointed to find that the left front indicator retaining bolt had come off a turn or two leaving the indicator "wobbly". And this is after only 48,000kms! Obviously not torqued correctly on assembly. Just not good enough! I'm considering lodging a formal complaint to Honda.

Cheers.
 
Gallon of Honda GN4 10w30 $23 Honda filter 15410-mfj-do1 $12 total $35 at my local dealer

( actually I just looked and online I can find the oil for $19 and the filters for $9)
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You know for $35 and 30 minutes work you can do it yourself and you will KNOW it was changed.

Any shop worth a hoot will have a paper trail on any work done in the shop. Parts have to get deleted from inventory, mechanics have to get credited (even on used stuff there is an internal labor rate work gets charged to)

I'd ask them to see the work order and if they can't provide one I'd go someplace else and buy oil and an oil filter and change it myself. It's really easy on this bike.

How To do your own 600 mile service
$35? I did mine yesterday. 4ltrs of Mxxxx xxxx xW-xW oil, KN 204 filter and crush washer came to AUD105. That's about USD 80 at current exchange rates. That's not at a dealer but at a motorcycle accessories shop, marginally cheaper than the dealer.

Just as a matter of interest, after draining the oil and replacing the filter (not torqued), washer and plug bolt, I took 100ml from the oil container, poured the remainder into the bike, and the oil quantity check (as per the manual) came to exactly the upper fill line. Easy peasy.

Doing the remainder of the service and checking the bike over, I was disappointed to find that the left front indicator retaining bolt had come off a turn or two leaving the indicator "wobbly". And this is after only 48,000kms! Obviously not torqued correctly on assembly. Just not good enough! I'm considering lodging a formal complaint to Honda.

Cheers.
You've had real trouble with that bike Pterodactytl—blown tail light globe at 40,000 kms and a loose nut at 48,000 kms. You should send it back and demand a replacement!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gallon of Honda GN4 10w30 $23 Honda filter 15410-mfj-do1 $12 total $35 at my local dealer

( actually I just looked and online I can find the oil for $19 and the filters for $9)
Lucky. The GN 4 retails in Sydney at about AUD45.

Cheers
Cormanus_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You know for $35 and 30 minutes work you can do it yourself and you will KNOW it was changed.

Any shop worth a hoot will have a paper trail on any work done in the shop. Parts have to get deleted from inventory, mechanics have to get credited (even on used stuff there is an internal labor rate work gets charged to)

I'd ask them to see the work order and if they can't provide one I'd go someplace else and buy oil and an oil filter and change it myself. It's really easy on this bike.

How To do your own 600 mile service
$35? I did mine yesterday. 4ltrs of Mxxxx xxxx xW-xW oil, KN 204 filter and crush washer came to AUD105. That's about USD 80 at current exchange rates. That's not at a dealer but at a motorcycle accessories shop, marginally cheaper than the dealer.

Just as a matter of interest, after draining the oil and replacing the filter (not torqued), washer and plug bolt, I took 100ml from the oil container, poured the remainder into the bike, and the oil quantity check (as per the manual) came to exactly the upper fill line. Easy peasy.

Doing the remainder of the service and checking the bike over, I was disappointed to find that the left front indicator retaining bolt had come off a turn or two leaving the indicator "wobbly". And this is after only 48,000kms! Obviously not torqued correctly on assembly. Just not good enough! I'm considering lodging a formal complaint to Honda.

Cheers.
You've had real trouble with that bike Pterodactytl—blown tail light globe at 40,000 kms and a loose nut at 48,000 kms. You should send it back and demand a replacement!
Yeh, shocking quality control. Makes me wonder if it will last the journey to PI and back. Will be leaving early tomorrow morning. Better pack a bottle of Bundy in case of a breakdown on the Barry Way. Might help to ease the loneliness:).

Cheers (Pls excuse thread drift).
 
Ptero, Why are you headed to Phillip Island? MotoGP doesn't start for 2 months?

Shocking the troubles you've had with your bike. just shocking.
 
Pterodactyl, given the dodginess of that bike, I'd take two bottles of rum.

Ferrett, the World Superbike Championships are on at PI this coming weekend.
 
In the car world, yes the markings are from the factory. But once you know the car has had quite a few services under it's belt, and you see the markings (especially at the drain plug), the service was usually done at a cheepie quick lube. Like, Walmart, Pepboys, Jiffy Lube, etc... That is when its bad to see them. I cringe at those places.
 
Back
Top