top speed, quarter mile

ronss_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
is it true this bike only does 112 mph?????

what is the quarter mile speed this bike does in the quarter...

i had a honda magna, 2003, and i know that would go above 112....
 
I agree. I hate it when the car or bike ahead of me is only going 110mph and I want to pass. I need more than 112mph to get around them. What was Honda thinking? :P
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
I agree. I hate it when the car or bike ahead of me is only going 110mph and I want to pass. I need more than 112mph to get around them. What was Honda thinking? :P
That's exactly right, what WAS Honda thinking. They're advertising campaign for this is 'a day of freedom', but with a limiter on your bike....again.....a LIMITER.....on your BIKE, you're no longer really free to do what you will, are you.

Think of it this way- Honda purposely had to use extra MONEY, RESOURCES, and TIME to install this limiter rather than NOT installing it. Can you believe that a part (even if a small fraction percentage) of the price you paid for your CB went towards LIMITING yourself? How dumb is that?
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
I agree. I hate it when the car or bike ahead of me is only going 110mph and I want to pass. I need more than 112mph to get around them. What was Honda thinking? :P
With you on This.

I've hit the limiter a few times and the motor shows no signs of slowing down except when it hits the damn limiter.
We as humans are not content plain and simple, for me I want to go fast on something that doesn't look fast.:biker:
 
ronss_imp said:
is it true this bike only does 112 mph?????

what is the quarter mile speed this bike does in the quarter...

i had a honda magna, 2003, and i know that would go above 112....
Cycle World:

quarter mile: 11.8 sec / 110 MPH
top speed: 110 MPH

this is the territory of superbike 10 yrs ago
 
Has more performance thanI need these days. if i wanted something faster, there are plenty of options out there. How fast will a CBR1000 go?
 
lola_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
I agree. I hate it when the car or bike ahead of me is only going 110mph and I want to pass. I need more than 112mph to get around them. What was Honda thinking? :P
With you on This.

I've hit the limiter a few times and the motor shows no signs of slowing down except when it hits the damn limiter.
We as humans are not content plain and simple, for me I want to go fast on something that doesn't look fast.:biker:
With you on This.

I've hit the limiter a few times and the motor shows no signs of slowing down except when it hits the damn limiter.
We as humans are not content plain and simple, for me I want to go fast on something that doesn't look fast.:biker:
When we're young, we tend to think we are invincible. When we get older, we tend to think about mortality more often. I'm not sure if age makes us smarter or just more afraid!
 
cbdtran_imp said:
ronss_imp said:
is it true this bike only does 112 mph?????

what is the quarter mile speed this bike does in the quarter...

i had a honda magna, 2003, and i know that would go above 112....
Cycle World:

quarter mile: 11.8 sec / 110 MPH
top speed: 110 MPH

this is the territory of superbike 10 yrs ago
I strongly suspect that it bounced off the limiter near the end of the 1/4 mile run.

I seem to recall a German poster reporting that unlimited (i.e. modified) CB1100s there reported a top end of around 135 mph.
 
What would be the severity impact difference between a crash going 110 mph as opposed to 135 mph? There are too many variables to consider, making it difficult to conclude that the lower speed will be any safer than the higher speed. In either case the results would be catastrophic. In my experience 110 mph has proven to be too fast. Therefore 135 mph is out of the question, at least for me. In this regard I find no use for the speed limiter. Unless, it is to prevent the engine from blowing a gasket. Don't take me serious on this one, but I am interested to know what prompt Honda to include the limiter.
 
It's a law in Japan that they must be limited to 180 KPh (112 MPH).
 
SanPete_imp said:
What would be the severity impact difference between a crash going 110 mph as opposed to 135 mph? There are too many variables to consider, making it difficult to conclude that the lower speed will be any safer than the higher speed. In either case the results would be catastrophic. In my experience 110 mph has proven to be too fast. Therefore 135 mph is out of the question, at least for me. In this regard I find no use for the speed limiter. Unless, it is to prevent the engine from blowing a gasket. Don't take me serious on this one, but I am interested to know what prompt Honda to include the limiter.
All vehicles sold in the Japanese domestic market (cars, trucks, motorcycles) are restricted to a max speed of 180 kph (roughly 112 mph). I don't think Honda envisioned large enough international sales volumes to prompt them to remove the limiter function. I'm also guessing that the target market for this bike (mostly old geezers) had something to do with the decision.

Conversely, most sportbikes would be unsellable with the same limitation, so they manufacturers make international versions. Interestingly enough, that doesn't mean they have no limit, though. High end sportbikes like the 'busa, Fireblade and ZX-14 are limited to 186 mph (300 kph) by an unwritten agreement between the major manufacturers.
 
Thread starter
who would have thought a japan law would affect us...i still believe honda made a mistake by leaving the limiter in place...cannot be that hard to leave it off..
 
ronss_imp said:
who would have thought a japan law would affect us...i still believe honda made a mistake by leaving the limiter in place...cannot be that hard to leave it off..

It doesn't really affect the vast majority of those of us who have bought this particular motorcycle and I seriously doubt that there is a large pool of riders out there saying they would buy this bike if it only went 13-21 mph faster on the top end.
 
The 25 MPH difference is not simply a matter of hitting the street at 110MPH versus 135MPH. It's also about covering more distance in the same reaction time and increased braking distance. If something unexpectedly crosses your path you may hit it with a much greater delta than 25MPH. Could be the difference of hitting it at 10MPH versus 50MPH. One would likely hurt like the devil the other may be a trip to meet the devil.

For me, the limiter hasn't nor will it ever impact me. That having been said if they had the same bike at the same price in two options one with and one without the limiter, I would have picked the one without it.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
What would be the severity impact difference between a crash going 110 mph as opposed to 135 mph? There are too many variables to consider, making it difficult to conclude that the lower speed will be any safer than the higher speed. In either case the results would be catastrophic. In my experience 110 mph has proven to be too fast. Therefore 135 mph is out of the question, at least for me. In this regard I find no use for the speed limiter. Unless, it is to prevent the engine from blowing a gasket. Don't take me serious on this one, but I am interested to know what prompt Honda to include the limiter.
All vehicles sold in the Japanese domestic market (cars, trucks, motorcycles) are restricted to a max speed of 180 kph (roughly 112 mph). I don't think Honda envisioned large enough international sales volumes to prompt them to remove the limiter function. I'm also guessing that the target market for this bike (mostly old geezers) had something to do with the decision.

Conversely, most sportbikes would be unsellable with the same limitation, so they manufacturers make international versions. Interestingly enough, that doesn't mean they have no limit, though. High end sportbikes like the 'busa, Fireblade and ZX-14 are limited to 186 mph (300 kph) by an unwritten agreement between the major manufacturers.
the CB is for Japan market in mind, Honda gingerly export this bike to USA to test the water. Japan (and European) road and highway are much smaller than in USA, and Japanese hands are not as hot.

I agree that that they should not include the limiter. The Harley Davidson Breakout with 65 HP has top speed of 155 MPH (Bike Mag) The CB1100 w/o limiter will hit 150 MPH

I am a slow rider, but don't want any restriction on my bike. On the hiway, I have hard time keep up with big bike for a long run on certain day, not because of the engine, but the wind at higher speed can be deafening
 
cbdtran_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
What would be the severity impact difference between a crash going 110 mph as opposed to 135 mph? There are too many variables to consider, making it difficult to conclude that the lower speed will be any safer than the higher speed. In either case the results would be catastrophic. In my experience 110 mph has proven to be too fast. Therefore 135 mph is out of the question, at least for me. In this regard I find no use for the speed limiter. Unless, it is to prevent the engine from blowing a gasket. Don't take me serious on this one, but I am interested to know what prompt Honda to include the limiter.
All vehicles sold in the Japanese domestic market (cars, trucks, motorcycles) are restricted to a max speed of 180 kph (roughly 112 mph). I don't think Honda envisioned large enough international sales volumes to prompt them to remove the limiter function. I'm also guessing that the target market for this bike (mostly old geezers) had something to do with the decision.

Conversely, most sportbikes would be unsellable with the same limitation, so they manufacturers make international versions. Interestingly enough, that doesn't mean they have no limit, though. High end sportbikes like the 'busa, Fireblade and ZX-14 are limited to 186 mph (300 kph) by an unwritten agreement between the major manufacturers.
the CB is for Japan market in mind, Honda gingerly export this bike to USA to test the water. Japan (and European) road and highway are much smaller than in USA, and Japanese hands are not as hot.

I agree that that they should not include the limiter. The Harley Davidson Breakout with 65 HP has top speed of 155 MPH (Bike Mag) The CB1100 w/o limiter will hit 150 MPH

I am a slow rider, but don't want any restriction on my bike. On the hiway, I have hard time keep up with big bike for a long run on certain day, not because of the engine, but the wind at higher speed can be deafening
the CB is for Japan market in mind, Honda gingerly export this bike to USA to test the water. Japan (and European) road and highway are much smaller than in USA, and Japanese hands are not as hot.

I agree that that they should not include the limiter. The Harley Davidson Breakout with 65 HP has top speed of 155 MPH (Bike Mag) The CB1100 w/o limiter will hit 150 MPH

I am a slow rider, but don't want any restriction on my bike. On the hiway, I have hard time keep up with big bike for a long run on certain day, not because of the engine, but the wind at higher speed can be deafening
There's no way a Breakout does 155 mph. The Vrod only does just shy of 145 before the rev limiter kicks in and it's lighter, has almost double the power and revs to 9000 rpm. Breakout probably does about 110-120 mph like the rest of the twin cams.

The CB would pull 140 for sure withtout a limiter. I've taken it to the limiter a few times now and it hauls up there no problem. There's a good 30 mph cut off of the bike's top end.
 
Back
Top